Might CV19 tests be required to enter the DR?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yes I was wrong, but lets look at the three countries picked. Brasil is a total disaster and virtually no tourists come here from Brasil anyway.
South Africa, anyone here ever run into a South African here?

And finally the UK. Very few or none are coming. The reason is all the Quarantine rules its citizens must observe, Covid tests and re tests, heavy fines, etc.

Believe it or not, I am good friend with a south African family here in LT. But, in their defense, they previously lived in North America, so they are not bringing any variant (plus, they have been living here in DR for several years).

Not many of them living and visiting the island to my knowledge though.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Mexico has the same open–arm policy and Cancun is doing much better than Punta Cana now. I believe that DR Government is afraid that if they ask tourists for negative tests, tourists may just prefer Cancun instead of Punta Cana.

Do you know why ?

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Do you know why ?
Do I know why what? Honestly I don't know why somebody may decide to go to Punta Cana if they can go to Cancun, with Covid or without it. Punta Cana has zero infrastructure comparing to Cancun.

But for DR Government Cancun is the main competitor now for sure.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Mexico has the same open–arm policy and Cancun is doing much better than Punta Cana now. I believe that DR Government is afraid that if they ask tourists for negative tests, tourists may just prefer Cancun instead of Punta Cana.
Mexico
10.0% fully vaccinated
7.5% partially vaccinated

Mexico
Cases 2,268,209 - Deaths 228,146 ( because of poor infrastructure one can assume underreporting.)

Here your friends from the CDC, but what do they know?
Retired expats in the DR surpass their knowledge.

Mexico as the DR has lost a great amount of tourism revenues because of covid.
As the DR, Mexico wants tourists to return.
We may have a reprieve from covid because of increased vaccinations in Summer.
Hopefully things won't turn bad in Winter, regardless CV19 is far from over.
It's not about expat opinions, but what CV19, countries and airlines will dictate in the future.

Key Information for Travelers to Mexico - CDC​

• COVID-19 in Mexico​

• Level 4: Very High Level of COVID-19 in Mexico​

• Travelers should avoid all travel to Mexico.
  • Because of the current situation in Mexico even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants and should avoid all travel to Mexico.
  • If you must travel to Mexico, get fully vaccinated before travel.
  • https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-mexico

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
🤣 Nana San Pedro
Is what your importance is to Abinader, his government and military commanders.

You make too much of a spectacle of yourself, they'll deal with you.
Tremble and obey!
:mad: Don't throw a tantrum now.....

• Haha
Reactions: Michael DR

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I have a friend staying in Cancun area last 6 months. There are tons of tourists from different parts of the world now there, not only from US. Even Russian charters by AzurAir are flying there now, Russian Government still don't let their citizens to go to DR due to high Covid numbers in DR, but they authorized charters to Cancun, so all those Russians who used to go to DR, now go to Cancun. And the same with some other countries. So in terms of tourism numbers, if you compare DR and Cancun now, DR sucks.

I don't care about of numbers or dead, sick, vaccinated, etc, leave it all to CDC and other organizations. I just know that Cancun and some other places in Mexico are full of tourists now. So that 'open arms' policy works for them good, probably because their politicians have more brains than Dominican Government.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Has anybody gotten on a plane to the DR w/o a PCR test ?

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I have a friend staying in Cancun area last 6 months. There are tons of tourists from different parts of the world now there, not only from US. Even Russian charters by AzurAir are flying there now, Russian Government still don't let their citizens to go to DR due to high Covid numbers in DR, but they authorized charters to Cancun, so all those Russians who used to go to DR, now go to Cancun. And the same with some other countries. So in terms of tourism numbers, if you compare DR and Cancun now, DR sucks.

I don't care about of numbers or dead, sick, vaccinated, etc, leave it all to CDC and other organizations. I just know that Cancun and some other places in Mexico are full of tourists now. So that 'open arms' policy works for them good, probably because their politicians have more brains than Dominican Government.
Mexico never closed down.
DR never closed down.

Mexican tourism always has profited from its proximity to the US and CAN.
Tourists are returning.

However tourists may feel much more comfortable in the DR and Punta Cana AI resorts.
As soon as CAN and EU flights resume, hopefully in Fall of 2021, the DR will increase its tourism.

No one cares about what you care about.
Informed travellers do look at their countries travel warnings.
Countries and Airlines do look at CV19 cases and act accordingly, with legislation and rules.

Tourism has been one of the worst-performing industries in 2020 due to the restrictions that many countries imposed on travel, which resulted in a 46% fall of international tourists to Mexico in 2020. Paradoxically, in this horrible year, Mexico advanced positions and ranked as one of the three most visited countries in the world, only surpassed by Italy and France.
The Center of Research and Tourism Competitiveness (CICOTUR) of the Anahuac University pointed out that, in the first four months of 2021, the three largest airports in international traffic had a 52.4% drop compared to 2019. The airports of Cancun, Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta account for 60% of the international travelers in Mexico, and in April, the three reported a total of 1.4 million visitors.
Experts point that international travel restrictions will begin to be lifted in the second half of 2021, so passenger traffic is expected to recover this year. Towards the second semester, Mexico expects a lower level of restrictions worldwide, which could be a catalyst for Mexican airlines, which at the moment have greater participation in travel to the United States.

Then there is this:
Feb 21, 2018,09:20am EST and the situation has NOT IMPROVED.
I was in Guerrero last year. Yes, I would still go to Vallarta, Cabo, or the Mayan Riviera.

Mexico: Where More Americans Are Murdered Than In All Other Foreign Countries Combined​

The agency's advisories add up to a no-go warning for more than half of Mexico’s 31 states. The country’s remaining 15 states and its capital city, Mexico City, also have a lesser warning: “Exercise increased caution.”

Such increased caution is advised in Quintana Roo state which includes popular tourist areas Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum and the Riviera Maya. Mexican government statistics show an increase in homicide rates in the state last year, the State Department says.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Does Punta Cana use the same system as Cancun ( yellow, orange, red...)? Cancun is Orange at this time ( google it please, I am lazy) but there has been a lot of talk about possibly going "Red". Not sure how this compares with Punta Cana as it seems in Punta Cana many just stay in their resort where in Cancun more venture outside their resort.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Does Punta Cana use the same system as Cancun ( yellow, orange, red...)? Cancun is Orange at this time ( google it please, I am lazy) but there has been a lot of talk about possibly going "Red". Not sure how this compares with Punta Cana as it seems in Punta Cana many just stay in their resort where in Cancun more venture outside their resort.
There's no orange, red, etc in DR.

By the way, in Cancun right now if tourists go outside the resort, they don't have to wear a face mask in the street, only when they go inside the premises. And there are a lot of things to do in Cancun outside the resorts.

In Punta Cana if toursts go outside the resort, all that they can find there is garbage and locals who are more annoying than dung flies.

• Angry
Reactions: PCMike

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
There's no orange, red, etc in DR.

By the way, in Cancun right now if tourists go outside the resort, they don't have to wear a face mask in the street, only when they go inside the premises. And there are a lot of things to do in Cancun outside the resorts.

In Punta Cana if toursts go outside the resort, all that they can find there is garbage and locals who are more annoying than dung flies.
Again please google the situation in Cancun. Maybe the no face masks is the reason Cancun is on the edge of going red? Do not agree with "all the tourists will find is garbage outside the resort" comment. There are actually some very good excursions outside the resort area that many tourists take part in, again google the info. However many that come to Punta Cana are not looking to go off the resort area. AI = all-inclusive which that is what many are looking for. That is what sells Punta Cana. How long have you lived here? I have over 23+ years. In that time I have seen more positives than negatives.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
That is what sells Punta Cana.
What sells Punta Cana is that it's the cheapest All–Inclusive destination in the Caribbean. To go to any of the small English–speaking Caribbean Islands, you have to pay a lot more for vacation. Even Jamaica is more expensive.

Of course tourists will be back to DR sooner or later. But right now Cancun is much better option.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
What sells Punta Cana is that it's the cheapest All–Inclusive destination in the Caribbean. To go to any of the small English–speaking Caribbean Islands, you have to pay a lot more for vacation. Even Jamaica is more expensive.

Of course tourists will be back to DR sooner or later. But right now Cancun is much better option.

I don't know about US Punta Cana AI package pricing.

For CAN, EU and UK Punta Cana is not a cheap discount destination in package pricing.
Also when I go I only stay at 5* resorts, which are not given away cheaply.
In addition to this check out current and future pricing, far from cheap for the afore mentioned countries.
CV19 is not making it cheaper.

Reactions: PCMike

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I don't know about US Punta Cana AI package pricing.

For CAN, EU and UK Punta Cana is not a cheap discount destination in package pricing.
Also when I go I only stay at 5* resorts, which are not given away cheaply.
In addition to this check out current and future pricing, far from cheap for the afore mentioned countries.
CV19 is not making it cheaper.
Compare it to the same resort category in Jamaica, Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados, etc.... you will see the difference in prices. Cheap Discount Destination is what exactly Punta Cana is.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Compare it to the same resort category in Jamaica, Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados, etc.... you will see the difference in prices. Cheap Discount Destination is what exactly Punta Cana is.
indeed!! the Punta Cana vacay is marketed towards the blue collar beer drinking type. They don't care about covid, just all you can eat and drink. The only shot they want is Jack and/or tequila. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

• Haha
Reactions: cavok and Eugene_A

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
indeed!! the Punta Cana vacay is marketed towards the blue collar beer drinking type. They don't care about covid, just all you can eat and drink. The only shot they want is Jack and/or tequila. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Yes, exactly. And yes, nothing is wrong with that. They want all they can eat and drink for the cheapest price. Do they care that 99% of the country outside the resorts is just a big garbage dump? No they don't care. Do they care that 99% of Dominicans don't flush the toilet after they use it? No they don't care about that either. Do they care about all other problems in DR that you discuss here? NO! They want unlimited alcoholic drinks, beach and sun, that's it.

Anybody who doesn't like my opinion can go to Antigua & Barbuda (or any other Caribbean island) for example, rent a car and drive around the island to see the difference, then check in in some all–inclusive resort there and see the difference.

Reactions: Big