Importing a car to DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can someone please tell me what do they look at, the date the vehicle was manufactured or do they look at the date on the vehicle’s title?
It’s the model year. You have until June 30 of the 6th year to land and process the car. In other words, a 2015 vehicle has to be processed and released before June 30, 2021.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
It’s the model year. You have until June 30 of the 6th year to land and process the car. In other words, a 2015 vehicle has to be processed and released before June 30, 2021.
Is it the same rule for pickup's or are they in another category. Also are they under the 30 year rule for classics?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Thanks. My wife is Dominican. If she puts the ATV in her name, does she pay less in taxes? Must it be in her name for a certain amount of time here in the states before shipping to the DR?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks. My wife is Dominican. If she puts the ATV in her name, does she pay less in taxes? Must it be in her name for a certain amount of time here in the states before shipping to the DR?
To get the one time discount, the Dominican must live abroad and qualify as a “returning Dominican”. They have to prove (with passport/immigration records) that they haven’t been in DR more than 6 months in the prior 2 years/24 months. The car must be in her name at least a year.

Reactions: reilleyp

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Classics need to be over 30 yrs. old, and must meet certain requirements to be admitted. Classics pay a flat $3000 dollar tax.

My Classic 2003 E500 was going to be too much, even with some help from the local classic collectors club.

The OP is best served buying the car here, given is a 2016 model. Can find good deals on newer used models and less headaches.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My Classic 2003 E500 was going to be too much, even with some help from the local classic collectors club.

The OP is best served buying the car here, given is a 2016 model. Can find good deals on newer used models and less headaches.
Correct, they need to be over 30 years old to qualify. I imagin the taxes on your 2003 would be through the roof!

DrewTX

Jul 28, 2009
Houston, TX
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying...........that is, if you wish to utilize the tax concession given to a returning Dominican.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I am considering my options for bringing a vehicle from the US as part of a residency shipment.
Sorry, but to clarify my understanding, I have 2 hypothetical questions please:

1) If I walk into a dealership in Miami today (6/8/2021) and pay CASH for a car, would I have to wait until 6/8/2022 before I can ship it ?

2) If I got a car with a loan in 12/2019, then pay off the lien today (6/8/2021), would I have to wait until 6/8/2022 before I can ship it ?

Many thanks 🚗

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Understood that imported electric vehicles were to get a big discount.
Have been told that our ordered Cybertruck is full tax.

Still waiting for delivery date.

Still waiting for D.R. discount figures.

Son in law in Ca most likely wins.

Jan 9, 2004
I am considering my options for bringing a vehicle from the US as part of a residency shipment.
Sorry, but to clarify my understanding, I have 2 hypothetical questions please:

1) If I walk into a dealership in Miami today (6/8/2021) and pay CASH for a car, would I have to wait until 6/8/2022 before I can ship it ?

2) If I got a car with a loan in 12/2019, then pay off the lien today (6/8/2021), would I have to wait until 6/8/2022 before I can ship it ?

Many thanks 🚗
As to question 1, unless it has changed recently, to avail yourself of the residency exemption, the vehicle must have been owned and registered to you for the prior two years before landing at the port.

As to question 2, no. That vehicle would be eligible in 12/21.

The answers above are applicable for new residents only.

You can ship a vehicle, without the residency exemption, no matter when you bought it............as long as it adheres to the 5 year rule.....and you pay the hefty taxes.

You can also take advantage of the severely reduced taxes, with/without residency, by shipping a fully electric vehicle (no hybrids).

I have 11 Nissan Leafs landing for a client later this month, and between Ley 103-13 (electric vehicle importation law) and the tourist project exemption law, there are literally no taxes due...........just the usual propinas.

God luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: DrewTX

DrewTX

Jul 28, 2009
Houston, TX
As to question 1, unless it has changed recently, to avail yourself of the residency exemption, the vehicle must have been owned and registered to you for the prior two years before landing at the port.

As to question 2, no. That vehicle would be eligible in 12/21.

The answers above are applicable for new residents only.

You can ship a vehicle, without the residency exemption, no matter when you bought it............as long as it adheres to the 5 year rule.....and you pay the hefty taxes.

You can also take advantage of the severely reduced taxes, with/without residency, by shipping a fully electric vehicle (no hybrids).

I have 11 Nissan Leafs landing for a client later this month, and between Ley 103-13 (electric vehicle importation law) and the tourist project exemption law, there are literally no taxes due...........just the usual propinas.

God luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Playacaribe2 - MANY thanks for all the great information.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
How does a foreign resident obtain the one car tax waiver when buying a car within DR ?

Jan 9, 2004
How does a foreign resident obtain the one car tax waiver when buying a car within DR ?

The reduced tax regimen on household goods and on an automobile is only available to new residents and must be utilized within the first 6 months of granted residency.

That is the enticement to move here.

Your question and the issue it raises is not new. I do not know of anyone who was successful in buying a car in the DR within that 6 months resident window and then claiming a residency tax exemption.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

DrewTX

Jul 28, 2009
Houston, TX
1) Before importing a car with the residency exception, do I need to have owned it for 1 year, or 2.

2) Is there a TAX DIFFERENCE between:
a) Bringing car as part of a residency shipment (e.g. me)
b) Bringing car as returning Dominican National (e.g. my wife)

3) Can we both bring 1 car? (and then sell one of them?)

We currently each have 2 cars with liens. 2018 Kia Soul. 2017 Mazda 3 wagon. Owe about $10k US on each one.
For the DR I would prefer to have something more like a RAV4 or CR-V ( for a little more cargo space)
Our Dominican friends here in Texas keep telling us we should import a car to the DR. But, I'm leaning towards buying a car when we arrive in the DR.
Also I saw a recent YouTube video where a lady had moved back to DR with a car but was unable to get Comprehensive auto insurance in the DR.

So I am worried about dumping maybe $25k USD into a vehicle in the US, paying about $1000 ship it, then some other fees/duties when it arrives (hopefully avoiding most due to residency exclusion), and then maybe not being about to get Comprehensive insurance.
And then there is the need to have owned it for TWO YEARS ??

Verses buying a slightly older car (e.g. 2010+) from a reputable source in the DR.

Jan 9, 2004
1) Before importing a car with the residency exception, do I need to have owned it for 1 year, or 2.

I am told 2 years for you and 1 year for your wife as a returning Dominican
2) Is there a TAX DIFFERENCE between:
a) Bringing car as part of a residency shipment (e.g. me)
b) Bringing car as returning Dominican National (e.g. my wife)
Yes. Your wife will receive a greater deduction.
3) Can we both bring 1 car? (and then sell one of them?)

The answer is yes.........but with caveats. As to both bringing in a car............you would apply for residency in your name and ship the goods and car in your name alone. Your wife would simply apply as a returning Dominican. Sales of vehicles brought in under reduced tax regimens are restricted to a 3 year waiting period.............and it is stamped on your matricula/title.
We currently each have 2 cars with liens. 2018 Kia Soul. 2017 Mazda 3 wagon. Owe about $10k US on each one.
For the DR I would prefer to have something more like a RAV4 or CR-V ( for a little more cargo space)
Our Dominican friends here in Texas keep telling us we should import a car to the DR. But, I'm leaning towards buying a car when we arrive in the DR.
Also I saw a recent YouTube video where a lady had moved back to DR with a car but was unable to get Comprehensive auto insurance in the DR.
Importing means you know the car well. No guesswork as to whether it is a good car with true miles and/or whether it has been properly maintained. I have never had an issue getting insurance for any cars I have shipped there.

So I am worried about dumping maybe $25k USD into a vehicle in the US, paying about $1000 ship it, then some other fees/duties when it arrives (hopefully avoiding most due to residency exclusion), and then maybe not being about to get Comprehensive insurance.
And then there is the need to have owned it for TWO YEARS ??

Verses buying a slightly older car (e.g. 2010+) from a reputable source in the DR.

How long have you owned each one? Your concern about the timeline may be irrelevant.......because the paperwork alone............takes time.

Additionally, you cannot (with few exceptions) export a vehicle with a lien (loan on it).

Finally, you may want to contact Aduana directly for answers to your questions..........but I caution you that the tax rules are sometimes interpreted differently depending on the port you choose to send your contents/car. I would try to ship to Caucedo, they are the most friendly/knowledgeable/consistent.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2