Seaweed is back

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It is worthy of a separate subject.. new developments have sprung up like mushrooms in the eastern region including Samana regardless of the seaweed. My bank contacts and Dominican friends tell me it is almost always people moving from the capital. Whether this is because of the Covid or the traffic or the pollution I do not know but it is not difficult to see the construction in Hato Mayor, La Romana Nueva, Caleta in la Romana and Villa hermosa and in the Punta Cana/Bavaro areas including Veron. Even in sleepy Higuey. However all the construction is within the resort or town boundaries and I have seen no cutting up of agricultural land nor scrub land outside the boundaries. There is no doubt that there is a huge population move to the east and this can be verified by the increase in traffic on the Coral Highway and in the increase in services and shopping out lets in the east. Goodness know when we will have another census to tell us more, This is in response to Se Fue la Luz and a little off topic.
IMHO your statement is true for anywhere in the world…population is growing land stays same size..

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I’ve never seen it as bad as it is in Juan Dolio right now, going back about 7 years.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Thank you for letting us know. Many do not think of the North Coast as having a seaweed issue.
Let's hope it doesn't work its way here from Punta Cana. The seaweed could doom the return visitors.
You think DR tourism would show video of seaweed covered beaches on TV spots up North ?

I took several trips to AI hotels in Punta Cana, but after I drove over there a couple years ago I swore I would not return until it was gone.
Hopefully it does leave but I suspect it might be a permanent feature

Reactions: debinatore

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Let's hope it doesn't work its way here from Punta Cana. The seaweed could doom the return visitors.
You think DR tourism would show video of seaweed covered beaches on TV spots up North ?

I took several trips to AI hotels in Punta Cana, but after I drove over there a couple years ago I swore I would not return until it was gone.
Hopefully it does leave but I suspect it might be a permanent feature
Some resorts do clean their stretch of the beach every morning (the Riu resorts do this), but most don't. There should be a law obligating resorts to clean the stretch of beach next to their properties. Any resort that doesn 't do this is subject to a fee per day the beach remains with the seaweed. The third time the fee is applied, the resort should be confiscated and auctioned to other interested hotel companies Dominican or elsewhere.

Otherwise, the whole Punta Cana region can kiss its sun and sand tourism good bye. Stinky seaweed could do what bad publicity didn't.

This leaves the issue of resorts next to a beach with no resorts. In that case (think of the Hard Rock Resort in Macao), walking down the beach could be a problem. In places with wall-to-wall resorts, which is most of Bávaro beach, it would be clean again if such a law is put in effect.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Some resorts do clean their stretch of the beach every morning (the Riu resorts do this), but most don't. There should be a law obligating resorts to clean the stretch of beach next to their properties. Any resort that doesn 't do this is subject to a fee per day the beach remains with the seaweed. The third time the fee is applied, the resort should be confiscated and auctioned to other interested hotel companies Dominican or elsewhere.

Otherwise, the whole Punta Cana region can kiss its sun and sand tourism good bye. Stinky seaweed could do what bad publicity didn't.

This leaves the issue of resorts next to a beach with no resorts. In that case (think of the Hard Rock Resort in Macao), walking down the beach could be a problem. In places with wall-to-wall resorts, which is most of Bávaro beach, it would be clean again if such a law is put in effect.
I think the government makes enough money it is in their own interest to do the cleaning.
The hotels aren't to blame for the seaweed it's mother nature. After the blow from Covid many hotels are likely underwater financially and getting equipment for each hotel to clean their section would be astronomical for all but the richest resorts.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I think the government makes enough money it is in their own interest to do the cleaning.
The hotels aren't to blame for the seaweed it's mother nature. After the blow from Covid many hotels are likely underwater financially and getting equipment for each hotel to clean their section would be astronomical for all but the richest resorts.
Sounds like a business opportunity to me. I'm surprised nobody has jumped on it yet.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
as global warming increases... so does the amount of seaweed, so if you think ahead.........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

A fee like helmet laws, drinking while driving, etc?

The resorts do not own the beach in the DR. The public does up to the 60 meter mark. Why should private businesses be forced to clean public areas?

Reactions: thompstr

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

The resorts do not own the beach in the DR. The public does up to the 60 meter mark. Why should private businesses be forced to clean public areas?

I don't think they should be forced but it is in their interests. Like JD said earlier, I'm surprised someone hasn't developed a business for that and contracted with the different resorts to clean on a daily or as needed basis.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Exactly. Once the law exist, no company can contest when authorities levy a fee on them for breaking it. As of right now, a resort is penalized for not cleaning the beach and they can contest it in court. As of right now, the government can't expropriate their properties due to a dirty beach either.

Any expat that enters as a tourist and overstays the 30-days allowed knows how well penalty fees are imposed.

For the same reason private homes and businesses in New York are forced to keep clean the sidewalks in front of them everytime it snows, ice, etc. Anyone slips on the ice in the sidewalk, falls and break a hip, and you are the most likely culprit to be sued despite the sidewalk belongs to the government.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The hotels in Uvero Alto (20 miles from PC) normally do a great job cleaning the seaweed. Some days there is just so much they can't keep up and it takes a few days. The one that does the best job is Breathless. Most days you wouldn't know there is a seaweed problem as they keep on top of it.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Seaweed Removed from Texas Beach By Barber Surf Rake Beach ...
Caribbean Sargassum Cleanup with the Barber Surf Rake ...

Beachcleaner remove sargasso, sargassum and seaweed
31: Beach-cleaning machines - 366solutions

Reactions: melphis