Paypal Account linkage to Banco Popular account

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Can't you just get a pay pal debit card and use it to withdraw money? I have a debit card and have no issues. I tried the pay pal DR account and to transfer money to that is more expensive so I canceled it and just use the regular pp account.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Going into Banco Popular helped, but the process is still not complete. Working on it now with PayPal and should be resolved in a day or two.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can't you just get a pay pal debit card and use it to withdraw money? I have a debit card and have no issues. I tried the pay pal DR account and to transfer money to that is more expensive so I canceled it and just use the regular pp account.
I have no idea regarding the paypal debit card. I will look into that as an option once the account it fully operational.
The current issue is that it is a Dominican PayPal account, but it only gives the option to link with US banks. Duh!!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
PayPal does not issue a Debit Card for a PayPal account with location in Dominican Republic, which the one connected with BPD will be.

Reactions: windeguy

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Yes, it went up to 15 USD. It takes at least 4 business days, often more of course, once 8 days. I did transfers weekly because I had no other option. Some months ago it stopped working for more than 5 weeks. Not PayPal fault but of course our friends at Popular were the culprits.

I then stopped using BPD altogether because of their incapacity. I transfer my money now via Wise to my BHD account. Costs more or less the same and I have the money the same day in my BHD account.
I tried to take a look at the Wise website, and it doesn't have DR pesos as a currency option. Did you have to do something special to setp up your account to send money here?

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I tried to take a look at the Wise website, and it doesn't have DR pesos as a currency option. Did you have to do something special to setp up your account to send money here?
USD account at Banci Popular, But I think you can send USD to peso account and they will convert'

Reactions: Buck

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
USD account at Banci Popular, But I think you can send USD to peso account and they will convert'
That is correct. All one has to do is a transfer between accounts, and they will show you the exchange rate when you fill out the information.

Reactions: Buck

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
WISE will help with my situation, but it is good to know about it for other things.
I meant to type Wise will not help me,

Still working the PayPal situation. A trip to the bank helped and the accounts needed are "in process" mostly due to PayPal's delays in confirming them.

While at the bank, the one who helped us allegedly linked a DR Peso account to PayPal. Some of the posts above seem to indicate the account at Banco Popular must be a US dollar account? Does either a peso or a dollar account work for linkage with PayPal?

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
Unfortunately, they are unable to send to a peso account. They do offer sending from USD to USD, but there are higher fees associated with that because it is essentially the same as a wire transfer.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Unfortunately, they are unable to send to a peso account. They do offer sending from USD to USD, but there are higher fees associated with that because it is essentially the same as a wire transfer.
I see a return to Banco Popular will be needed since a USD account will be needed. She should have known that.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
I see a return to Banco Popular will be needed since a USD account will be needed. She should have known that.
Just to be clear, my comment was about using Wise, and that they do not send to a peso account. I don't want to cause confusion with the original post regarding PayPal.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just to be clear, my comment was about using Wise, and that they do not send to a peso account. I don't want to cause confusion with the original post regarding PayPal.
Thank you. Threads always get polluted. In this case was that WISE?
Just kidding, carry on.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
I have no idea regarding the paypal debit card. I will look into that as an option once the account it fully operational.
The current issue is that it is a Dominican PayPal account, but it only gives the option to link with US banks. Duh!!
Mine is linked with no problems other than it has to be re-verified once a year.
I have an international Paypal account also. That may be an issue. Its completely separate from my US Paypal.
If you want to transfer monet to US Paypal or US bank account,,you have to pay a 3% fee.

With Wise, you can put money on account and get a debit card, but I would guess you are subject to whatever they want to charge as an exchange rate.
One other easy option,, but not quick is to simply deposit a US check in a US dollar account. It clears immediately, but Popular put a 10 day hold on the cash.
If you dont need the money immediately, and plan this regularly, its the ZERO cost option to move money.

web

Nov 5, 2005
I have come to the conclusion that is might be possible if I go to the office. I don't have 100% confidence, but we will see.
If you have a DR Paypal account and funds available you can transfer from the Banco Popular side online just type in your email and your balance will populate although now it costs $20 (used to be $10) Add a US bank account add funds to your DR Paypal then transfer into your Banco Popular acct

web

Nov 5, 2005
My Banco Popular acct is in pesos and my DR paypal is in dollars they will gladly do the exchange for you

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
If you have a DR Paypal account and funds available you can transfer from the Banco Popular side online just type in your email and your balance will populate although now it costs $20 (used to be $10) Add a US bank account add funds to your DR Paypal then transfer into your Banco Popular acct
Can you send from US paypal to DR paypal?
And how you open a DR paypal?
Thanks