Any News Arriving from Canada (Puerto Plata Airport)?

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
Just wondering if any canadian snow birds have made the early jump and traveled direct from CANADA ( TORONTO, MONTREAL, CALGARY)... Just curoius to know what the arrival is like at the airport?

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Was in POP for 9 days 17th -26th Oct...Flew Westjet....no issues.....very easy

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Air Canada is now flying into POP through Toronto and Montreal on weekends. You can purchase your own self administered Canadian approved Covid test kit from them for your return to Canada. The US land border crossings just opened up to Canadians. No testing required to enter the US, just proof of vaccination. Canadian approved Covid PCR testing is still required for Canadians crossing back into Canada. Government representatives from the US and Canada are pressuring the Canadian government to eliminate the Covid PCR test or replace it with the 15 minute quick test. A few epidemiologists have come out in favour of the quick test. I’m hoping this pressure makes the government eliminate the PCR test requirement for Canadians returning from other countries. Otherwise we are back to a double standard. No testing required at land crossings but testing required at airports.

Reactions: dot and thompstr

Scruff

Oct 24, 2021
Sosua
Arrived 29 October at POP from Toronto and had no issues until arrival. Wasn’t aware you needed to complete immigration document online and no paper option.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Arrived 29 October at POP from Toronto and had no issues until arrival. Wasn’t aware you needed to complete immigration document online and no paper option.
The Canadian Airline allowed you to board without filling out the E-Ticket on line, eh? Oh my...

Reactions: thompstr

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So were you sent to a Gulag or did you get through without it? I am betting on the latter...........

MOC1

Oct 22, 2002
Arrived yesterday no issues, just have your e-ticket and vac documents in order.

Scruff

Oct 24, 2021
Sosua
We had e ticket, just didn’t know we had to fill out declarations online so had to get help from staff. Flight was already an hour late, we were the last ones out of the airport. Thank goodness our ride waited for us.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
We had e ticket, just didn’t know we had to fill out declarations online so had to get help from staff. Flight was already an hour late, we were the last ones out of the airport. Thank goodness our ride waited for us.
Sorry I am a bit confuse with your reply. Can it be that what you call "fill out declarations online" here in the DR is called eticket which replaced the papers that you use to fill out before passing immigration, and when you say you had an eticket you are referring to your airplane ticket.

When you say staff help you out did they provide internet access?

Scruff

Oct 24, 2021
Sosua
Ya, sorry. I was confused to. I am not to savvy with my smartphone so the staff provided internet and issued us a QR code which we needed to clear customs.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Ya, sorry. I was confused to. I am not to savvy with my smartphone so the staff provided internet and issued us a QR code which we needed to clear customs.
Thank you for replying. Immigration should of used another name for the "online declarations" instead of eticket which has be used by airlines for many years replacing paper tickets. Typical in the DR clear as mud.....no problema!

Its good to know that they were able to help out with the internet. ( I remember my Mother was never able to learn to program a VCR so they need to set up help for these people)

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
We landed Tuesday at pop
My sister made a mistake, on e-ticket, they would let her in until she corrected it
3 others had to fix e- ticket as well

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Westjet, Air Canada, and other airlines are demanding the removal of the 72 hour before arrival PCR test for vaccinated Canadians arriving from international destinations. They sent a letter to Public Health Canada requesting rapid testing or random testing to replace the PCR testing. The airlines and airports don’t have the resources to comply with the PCR testing requirements since the rise in Omicron infections.

I’m optimistic the request won’t fall on deaf government ears. Fingers crossed. Wicked winter conditions in Ontario and Quebec now. If the PCR testing requirement is eliminated, expect to see waves of Canadians heading to the DR.