ALERT: MISSING AMERICAN LAST SEEN IN CABARETE

Status
Not open for further replies.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
ROMARE XAVIER "ROME" KIRKLAND
Born in USA/ American Citizen

The last time anyone spoke with Rome was Thursday 11/18/2021 evening by phone although not confirmed, during that conversation he was believed
to be at a restaurant at the beach close to the Pro Cab section of Cabarete. Apparently the wifi connection in the Airbnb he was staying in (Pro Cab building R R)
wasn't working so he decided to use the internet at one the restaurants close to where he was staying.

We are not sure exactly when but it appears he checked out of his Airbnb sometime yesterday Friday 11/19/2021. A mutual friend in Sosua was able to go to
this Airbnb (Pro Cab building R R) this morning and gain access in order to verify both Rome and all of his belongs were gone. The room did not appear to be
out of order or show any signs of a forced entry. From this point he seems to have vanished.

He was supposed to attend Greg's (from Flip Flops) Birthday Party yesterday afternoon/ evening but he never showed up. He also had a reservation booked at
Hotel Voramar Sosua for last night. He never called to cancel his reservation nor did he arrive at the hotel. At 27 years of age Rome is a very astute and mature
individual. He is not the type of person to avoid calling to cancel a hotel reservation and he is definitely not the type of person to not return phone calls or messages
from concerned friends.

A missing person's report is being filed as we speak with the appropriate authorities on the North Coast. We have people from Puerto Plata checking with Immigration
Officials thinking he may been picked up by mistake. Our team of friends have already contacted the jails and hospitals on the North Coast and came up empty. We had
someone with a key check his residence here in Santiago as well. Still nothing. Rome lived in Sosua for several years prior to moving down here to Santiago.
Some of you folks who've lived in and around Sosua for a few years may recognize him from these photos. Rome doesn't use drugs or hang around shady circles nor is he a big drinker who likes to spend time at the bars.

I've been asked to start this thread on DR1 as we are all very concerned at this point. I've also been given permission to post a few photos of Rome with the hope of someone seeing his picture and helping us to locate him or provide us with additional information. If you have any information you think may be helpful please feel free to either PM me or post it in the comment section and I will relay it to the appropriate person(s).

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

1637438974881.png

1637439013912.png

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
By law all hotels have to have cameras now. Have you thought to check the security cameras at the place he was staying in Cabarete? Also it's probably a good idea to inform the US embassy as they will be able to pull far more strings than you guys. Someone needs to do a trace on his cellphone as a minimum.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
CR....what does your gut feeling think about this situation? You are closer than most to a possible solution.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
By law all hotels have to have cameras now. Have you thought to check the security cameras at the place he was staying in Cabarete? Also it's probably a good idea to inform the US embassy as they will be able to pull far more strings than you guys. Someone needs to do a trace on his cellphone as a minimum.
All of these things are being done as we speak. Today several people will be walking this area looking/ asking for camera footage while speaking to those who live/ work in the area.

He checked into the Airbnb and dropped off his bags but now they are saying it doesn't appear he actually spent the night there so we along with the authorities are going to focus on where he went Thursday evening.

A friend of mine reached out to a reporter with Destres Del Rumor last night with the hope of getting Fabio involved very soon to cover this and give it some exposure.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I believe the R R building being referred to is actually Renaissance Residence. It's not a hotel, but a condo building. However, it may well have security cameras. There are also security cameras at the entrance gate of ProCab, so they should show his movements in or out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am hoping it was the option of being picked up by mistake by immigration and that gets resolved quickly, because the other options are not so good.

Reactions: jd426 and Grampa

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
does he work on the island?, have children or a chica?
He's been living here for 11 years.
No children. No chica.

The PN just confirmed they have recovered a body in a
bad state of decomposition at Playa Rocon, Cabarete.
They have yet to identify this individual so I do not feel it
appropriate to say anything more regarding their find
at this point in time.

1637508215444.png

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Bad state of decomposition in 3 days? Hopefully that's not him.
They are going to need to preform a DNA test in order to identify who
this individual is.
As with all of these types of situations, there is a lot of information
coming in at this point in time and some of it is a little confusing
so I am having to wait until the dust settles before posting anymore
information.

Reactions: David B and Grampa

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I think the odds of a DNA test identifying him are pretty slim.
Why would you say that? I've been in contact with the police and they didn't say anything about that. We have access to personal belongings. Any way a mutual friend is going to try and identify the body in custody. The police I spoke to said the face is recognizable. Not that I wish it upon anyone but still praying it is not our young friend.

Reactions: jd426

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Why would you say that? I've been in contact with the police and they didn't say anything about that. We have access to personal belongings. Any way a mutual friend is going to try and identify the body in custody. The police I spoke to said the face is recognizable. Not that I wish it upon anyone but still praying it is not our young friend.
If it's the OT, yes, but badly decomposed after only three days(?). It could be someone else.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
My friend who was like a second father to Rome has identified the body. It was our young friend. So that people don't have the wrong idea I'd like to say that our young friend although moving to Sosua at the age of 17 with his dad was never a big party guy. He was one of the most responsible young men I have ever met in my life. He had his own marketing business, which was growing, working on line. He made several trips down to Colombia including when we were hanging out together in Cartagena this past September. He was considering moving down there. He will be missed by all that knew him. RIP my young friend.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Very sad to hear that. Tragic. That's a fairly isolated stretch of beach there. Some friends of mine were robbed at gunpoint there mid-day several years ago.

Reactions: Grampa
Status
Not open for further replies.