Conversion from Temporary to Permanent Status

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
I submitted my documents exactly 30 days before they expired, as you cannot submit earlier. They actually gave me a very quick appointment date (WOW) and I paid the fees online same day.

On the day of my appointment I went and did the medical exam. That was September.

The DGM website says payment and med exam complete. But nothing else. In October they asked for a full copy of the passport in an email and they said the process takes 3 months. If a process takes 3 months, why can you only start it 30 days in advance? But I digress.

Now nothing... I have sent 5 emails, no answers. Calling their number is useless, they would only say its in process. My Cedula and residency has obviously expired, that was 2 months ago.

Has anyone one recently converted to permanent status (SOLICITUD DE RESIDENCIA PERMANENTE) and has an idea about the timeline?

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
I also had 2 MAJOR issues at the appointment. As everyone knows you have to submit your documents online, which have to be approved before you get the appointment. So one would think, that they look at the documents you submit and verify its what is correct. Please dont think the DGM is this logical or efficient.

One of these was the financial statement from your bank. Went to Banco Popular and they said they knew EXACTLY what I needed and charged me $10 for it. I then submitted the EXACTLY what was needed document online.

In September, BanReservas had just taken over the insurance scam from Patria. Nobody bothered to change the DGM website with this handy information, so BanReservas was happy to take my deposit. None of the idiots at Patria had bothered to change their website either. Filled out their form several times. No response. Still had old email address,, wrote it,, and the girl told me they were no longer in that business. So after finding out that Patria cant issue the policy (it took 2 months to get a refund), I went back to Reservas and the local branch gave me a policy. Or so I thought.

So now I submit my exactly what was need bank document and reservas policy online. The docs are approved and I get appointment.

At the appointment the bank document (wait for it) isn't what they want. SHOCKER !!!!! They want 3 months of statements.

Then the reservas policy (wait for it) wasnt correct either... I had no idea what was wrong or missing. They told me I had 90 minutes to get the correct documents or my appointment would be cancelled. There a SeguroReservas office fairly close to DGM which I found purely by luck because Waze wasnt much of a help. I was actually looking for a branch when I drove by the seguro office. Unbelievable the incompetence all around.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Hello,

We are in exactly the same situation.

Our "temporal" expired on September 29, for my husband, my daughter (16) and myself.

I uploaded all the materials to the website on September 6th, and we quickly got an appointment at the Puerto Plata office for September 16th, the same day we did the exams.

Since then nothing happened, no info, the site says like you "PAGO COMPLETADO" and "EXAMEN MÉDICO COMPLETADO".

I called several times, and they explaind to me that everything is normal, and that the 90-day period is due to the fact that the process is different from that of the "temporal", because there are legal checks in addition.

I even asked a Dominican friend who has a lot of connections to call DGM, they explained to him the same thing to him.

We hate this delay because we are in an illegal situation and we don't like it.

But we have no choice, we just have to wait.

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
I also had 2 MAJOR issues at the appointment. As everyone knows you have to submit your documents online, which have to be approved before you get the appointment. So one would think, that they look at the documents you submit and verify its what is correct. Please dont think the DGM is this logical or efficient.

One of these was the financial statement from your bank. Went to Banco Popular and they said they knew EXACTLY what I needed and charged me $10 for it. I then submitted the EXACTLY what was needed document online.

In September, BanReservas had just taken over the insurance scam from Patria. Nobody bothered to change the DGM website with this handy information, so BanReservas was happy to take my deposit. None of the idiots at Patria had bothered to change their website either. Filled out their form several times. No response. Still had old email address,, wrote it,, and the girl told me they were no longer in that business. So after finding out that Patria cant issue the policy (it took 2 months to get a refund), I went back to Reservas and the local branch gave me a policy. Or so I thought.

So now I submit my exactly what was need bank document and reservas policy online. The docs are approved and I get appointment.

At the appointment the bank document (wait for it) isn't what they want. SHOCKER !!!!! They want 3 months of statements.

Then the reservas policy (wait for it) wasnt correct either... I had no idea what was wrong or missing. They told me I had 90 minutes to get the correct documents or my appointment would be cancelled. There a SeguroReservas office fairly close to DGM which I found purely by luck because Waze wasnt much of a help. I was actually looking for a branch when I drove by the seguro office. Unbelievable the incompetence all around.
For economic solvency, I attached the titulo of my house, but no bank documents

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Yes, I had a delay of about 3-4 months when I went so-called "Permanent". On fun thing is that when you go to get your cedula, they fine you a couple of thousand for being late renewing it!
Thanks for this information. Just to be ready with the money, how much did they charge for being late for the cedulas? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Grampa and AlterEgo

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Yes, I had a delay of about 3-4 months when I went so-called "Permanent". On fun thing is that when you go to get your cedula, they fine you a couple of thousand for being late renewing it!
How did you know when it became ready??? Was it the DGM website, phone call,,,email???
I am guessing that they had to make another appointment for you because you need the residency card first

sosuadr

Aug 17, 2014
I submitted my documents exactly 30 days before they expired, as you cannot submit earlier. They actually gave me a very quick appointment date (WOW) and I paid the fees online same day.

On the day of my appointment I went and did the medical exam. That was September.

The DGM website says payment and med exam complete. But nothing else. In October they asked for a full copy of the passport in an email and they said the process takes 3 months. If a process takes 3 months, why can you only start it 30 days in advance? But I digress.

Now nothing... I have sent 5 emails, no answers. Calling their number is useless, they would only say its in process. My Cedula and residency has obviously expired, that was 2 months ago.

Has anyone one recently converted to permanent status (SOLICITUD DE RESIDENCIA PERMANENTE) and has an idea about the timeline?
Question: To do the conversion did you apply for "permanent", or for "permanent renewal" (Instead of Temporary renewal which you would have done for the last 5 years)

Reactions: Grampa
Aug 21, 2007
It took them almost one year to approve mine. That was in the midst of COVID. I was not charged any penalty for having an expired cedula/residency, since it was their fault.

I had to provide bank documents from here. Our house and car titles were not sufficient. We hadn't kept much money in our DR bank accounts, just enough to get us back home in case of emergency. Our lawyer said that immigration is looking for at least $7,000 USD in a bank account here. US accounts don't work. Nor do retirement accounts and/or social security. We transferred funds here and after that, I was approved.

I remember being concerned when the process was taking so long. I posted here on dr1 and there was much discussion. In the end, all went through and I am ready to apply for renewal.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Question: To do the conversion did you apply for "permanent", or for "permanent renewal" (Instead of Temporary renewal which you would have done for the last 5 years)
I applied for permanent, SOLICITUD DE RESIDENCIA PERMANENTE

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
BTW, I have a Permanent Residency, and I still have to renew it every 10 yrs.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
How did you know when it became ready??? Was it the DGM website, phone call,,,email???
I am guessing that they had to make another appointment for you because you need the residency card first
I was using a lawyer actually, because it seemed very complicated to upload all the required documents online, so she told me when it was time to go. I think you misunderstood me. I got the Residency card first, then went to get the cedula the same day, and was fined for being late.

• Wow

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
I was using a lawyer actually, because it seemed very complicated to upload all the required documents online, so she told me when it was time to go. I think you misunderstood me. I got the Residency card first, then went to get the cedula the same day, and was fined for being late.
No...I understand you need the residency 1st before the cedula office will print one.. Its just typical dominican that they fine you for something that you have absolutely zero control over. When I go to DGM I am going to ask for a letter explaining the delay. We all know I wont get that.

I will then act outraged and ask to speak to a supervisor at the cedula office and watch that get me no where after that.

• Haha
Reactions: cavok and drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now you know why I decided to go with DR citizenship. I had hoped with the PRM cleaning house at Migracion that things would improve for those getting and renewing residency, but apparently there are still major issues.

True that getting outraged and arguing will get you nowhere fast. Sorry to see the above, but not surprised at all.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It took them almost one year to approve mine. That was in the midst of COVID. I was not charged any penalty for having an expired cedula/residency, since it was their fault.

I had to provide bank documents from here. Our house and car titles were not sufficient. We hadn't kept much money in our DR bank accounts, just enough to get us back home in case of emergency. Our lawyer said that immigration is looking for at least $7,000 USD in a bank account here. US accounts don't work. Nor do retirement accounts and/or social security. We transferred funds here and after that, I was approved.

I remember being concerned when the process was taking so long. I posted here on dr1 and there was much discussion. In the end, all went through and I am ready to apply for renewal.
I'm going to apply for permanent next year and I don't have that much in my DR accounts either. Did that $7000 balance have to be in your account here for any minimum length of time?

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
I'm going to apply for permanent next year and I don't have that much in my DR accounts either. Did that $7000 balance have to be in your account here for any minimum length of time?
When we did our first temp to perm - they accepted the title to our house with no issues. Same thing when we renewed the permanent residency. Did it all n-line, no lawyer involved. No issues at all. Next renewal is in 2024