AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Be careful out there!!!

Computer translated:

Two Dominican families are assaulted when leaving the Cibao airport​

• One of the victims had not come to the country for eight years and arrived accompanied with his American wife
Edward Fernandez - SANTIAGO 12/12/2021, 04:20 PM

At least two families have denounced in recent days that they have been kidnapped to rob them when leaving the Cibao International Airport (AIC) in the early morning hours.

The most recent case was that of a family of five, who were abducted and abandoned on the Licey al Medio highway after taking away their vehicle, two suitcases and wallets, containing dollars and personal documents.

One of the victims said that they were intercepted by several individuals aboard a Nissan car, carrying long weapons and pistols when they were driving through Canabacoa.

The traveler, who had not been in the country for 8 years, was robbed with his American wife and other relatives around 4:00 in the morning of last Thursday.

Several days ago a woman and her two children were also abducted after leaving the airport. These people were left abandoned near a ravine in the community of Gurabo.

The assailants stole all the victims' belongings. The criminals shot two of the vehicle's tires.

Like the family intercepted in Canabacoa, the woman assures that the robbers followed them from the AIC to Santiago, where they were kidnapped to deprive them of money and valuables.

Those affected requested not to identify them for fear of reprisals from the criminals, who kept their personal documents.

Investigate cases
Colonel Antonio Calvo Pérez, spokesman for the National Police in Santiago, assured that they are investigating both complaints.
Since being informed, they have dismantled multiple gangs that are dedicated to docking on the way from the Cibao International Airport to the homes of travelers.

However, aggravated robberies of travelers are recurrent.

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Crime has been on the rise throughout the greater Santiago area for several months. I stopped posting about. Figured anyone traveling down here with half a brain is following our local news proir to their arrival and taking the necessary precautions..
There's been more than one daytime robbery recently where the victim was followed from the bank, severely beatin and robbed.

• Sad
Reactions: AlterEgo

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
You're taking a huge risk being out on the highways here, especially leaving an airport, at that hour of the night. Get a hotel room and go in the morning.

That's the part I simply don't understand. The vast majority on this forum would (I think) agree that driving after midnight is not the the best idea here, yet there are all these I assume cheap flights arriving at this hour and then people getting on the road... If you want to save on flight, then wait on the ground until sun rises...

The latest I have ever driven here between cities has been around 12 am, and that was because we left the capital too late many years ago... I was driving really fast as we wanted to get home and off the streets quickly... I would rather spend more on a flight or a safe room for the night here than take the cheapest flight and drive home in the early hours, that's just looking for trouble...

Reactions: NAGUA

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That's the part I simply don't understand. The vast majority on this forum would (I think) agree that driving after midnight is not the the best idea here, yet there are all these I assume cheap flights arriving at this hour and then people getting on the road... If you want to save on flight, then wait on the ground until sun rises...

The latest I have ever driven here between cities has been around 12 am, and that was because we left the capital too late many years ago... I was driving really fast as we wanted to get home and off the streets quickly... I would rather spend more on a flight or a safe room for the night here than take the cheapest flight and drive home in the early hours, that's just looking for trouble...
Sometimes the cheapest options end up being the most expensive.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Sometimes the cheapest options end up being the most expensive.
Yes, a friend of mine arrived at Santiago from SD in Metro bus with several thousand Pesos cash in his pocket.
Took a Ruta M trying to save the Taxi fees and guess what...Lo carterearon in the carro público, lost everything.

JJ

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes, a friend of mine arrived at Santiago from SD in Metro bus with several thousand Pesos cash in his pocket.
Took a Ruta M trying to save the Taxi fees and guess what...Lo carterearon in the carro público, lost everything.

JJ
I remember using carritos in the capital. I witnessed more than one snatch and grab from a fellow passenger while we were stuck in traffic. I aslo know a few people here in Santiago who've lost a phone that way.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I remember using carritos in the capital. I witnessed more than one snatch and grab from a fellow passenger while we were stuck in traffic. I aslo know a few people here in Santiago who've lost a phone that way.

bachata said​

One night, late, my sister-in-law was coming home from work in Santiago and took a "M" car.

It was a fake "M" car.
She was robbed at gun point by the driver and his accomplish.

It's not fool-proof, but ALWAYS check for the offical emblem on the cars, DAY or NIGHT.
Never use one that has a home-made sign.