Pool maintenance questions.... yes!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree. With most of the pool supply/service stores here, I think that would be a waste of time.
Some way or another I would need to come up with a size in order to purchase a new filter that might actually work.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'd give miraclear a shot first!
You mean use it every week and vacuuming to waste instead of having a filter that can capture the smaller particles and just backwashing and replacing the DE when needed?

fido

Jun 18, 2015
Guys, just wanted to chime in seeing this has got some attention. I see some of you say you only run your pump a couple hours a day, just how is that ??

I find that if i run my pump less than 8-10 hours a day it starts to turn green, I only use pucks btw and rarely add acid. Also, my pump is a variable speed pump and I run it for those hours in the low rpm (around 1200). It doesn't cost me much, but I am afraid I am not extending my pump's life, so if i could find a way to run it for less time that will be wonderful.

EDIT: my pool is around 10k gallons and I have a 125sqr feet cartridge filter.

Reactions: Neargale

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Remember, you need to run your pump long enough to turn over the pool every 6 to 12 hours. If your pool is subject to dust and debris, it needs to be closer to every 6 hours. Running lees than that will cause a buildup of suspended particles and, if you're using tablets, your chlorine levels could be dropping. With stabilized chlorine tablets, you won't need to use acid very much.

fido

Jun 18, 2015
@cavok this was my understanding as well, reason I could not understand how people on this thread say they are running theirs for just a couple of hours a day.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
@cavok this was my understanding as well, reason I could not understand how people on this thread say they are running theirs for just a couple of hours a day.
yes I know people who only run the pump for 1 hour. I normally run it for one hour. Sometimes throughout the year I get the algea sometimes not

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
yes I know people who only run the pump for 1 hour. I normally run it for one hour. Sometimes throughout the year I get the algea sometimes not
I never had a problem running my pool for one hour. But my aged sand filter is probably 40 years old and is practically useless. Changing the sand did not help.

Off to check on new filters tomorrow with a DE filter being the target. Is that unobtanium here? Tomorrow will tell.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My pump runs on direct wired solar panels.... runs all day for $0....
How many panels, and what was the installation cost for the panels and solar capable pump?
There is no convenient place to mount more than perhaps 2 or 3 solar panels anywhere near my pump house.
Since solar pumps are DC , that normally means the panels cannot be very far away from the pump.

Old pricing on such installations meant that I would not outlive the price/benefit ratio.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No inverters... no nothing just the panels (6?) and wires and the pump..... not $20k as 'u know who' suggests

Mounted on the pump house roof.

Eco Serve has pool pumps..... very watt savvy, lo draw

fido

Jun 18, 2015
I envy you. If i run my pump for just one hour daily, I rather call it a swamp than a pool, lol

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
You mean use it every week and vacuuming to waste instead of having a filter that can capture the smaller particles and just backwashing and replacing the DE when needed?
This product helps filter efficiency by grouping smaller particules together so the filter can catch them.

Only backwash as needed (if pressure builds up), no waste, it's not a flocculant.

In regards to pump duration.

I only run it for 2 1/2hrs for now. My pump is strong, so renews the water quickly. About 1 tablet 1/2 to maintain chlorine levels for estimated 13k gallons. pH about 7.6, would like it lower but whatever, got tired of adding acid and water seems fine so...

Reactions: windeguy

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
pH about 7.6, would like it lower but whatever, got tired of adding acid and water seems fine so...
That's called pH bounce and is probably caused by your total alkalinity(TA) being too high, which is usually caused by hard water. Adding acid will bring that down eventually, but best to do it slowly over several days, or longer. There's a TA test kit available. If you have a better test kit, it should be included. I preferred to keep my pool(s) at 7.4 pH.The chlorine is more active.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I envy you. If i run my pump for just one hour daily, I rather call it a swamp than a pool, lol
I suspect that where I live the air is very clean in the camposo the pool doesn't get very dirty... Also the pool is shaded somewhat in the afternoon.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My wife has been hounding me for a pool.
Stories like this are great fodder for me to keep on resisting.
I would buy a boat here long before a pool.
At least I could sell a boat.
Good time for a pool for me would be just prior to selling the house.

A good friend of mine in Florida made a lot of money, owns a pool service business.
I wanna go swimming I go to the beach or over to your house to swim in your pool.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
This product helps filter efficiency by grouping smaller particules together so the filter can catch them.

Only backwash as needed (if pressure builds up), no waste, it's not a flocculant.

In regards to pump duration.

I only run it for 2 1/2hrs for now. My pump is strong, so renews the water quickly. About 1 tablet 1/2 to maintain chlorine levels for estimated 13k gallons. pH about 7.6, would like it lower but whatever, got tired of adding acid and water seems fine so...
I never need to add acid .The well water ph is always in the good range.