Why Is Everyone Going to the Dominican Republic NY TIMES TODAY

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Don’t speak of what You know little to nothing about. I also Live here and have been coming here for many many years. And sorry but I do know and what I believe after vacationing at really Great hotels is there is most likely No good A1 hotel. That Is a fact! And I do understand You are probably a tout for tourism. Hey you gotta make a buck.
When is the last time you visited/stayed at a Punta Cana AI? Because there a quite a few very nice ones and this is a fact. I have been here a very long time, and any push for tourism ( while I would like to see more for the North Coast ) I would not consider it a bad thing.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
For expats living here, without much fanfare, the CDN Govt. website now lists Sinovac Cornovac vaccine as a recognized vaccine. So it appears those with only Sinovac shots can now travel directly to Canada from the DR with this vaccine and a negative PCR test. No tourist from Canada will have received Sinovac but for those who chose to wait it out here, going to and from the DR has become ever so slightly easier.
Canada got it wrong from start to finish. I have friends from that country who've decided just stay down here rather than return to their new Covid 1984 draconian way of life. Who would have thought it would be the Dominican doing the better job?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Canada got it wrong from start to finish. I have friends from that country who've decided just stay down here rather than return to their new Covid 1984 draconian way of life. Who would have thought it would be the Dominican doing the better job?
Depends on what part of Canada. Canadas infection rate and death rate are on the lower end of the scale when you compare them ti most countries. They did do a horrible job in old age homes at first. My home province of BC has done a good job.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Tourist be warned: the shower pressure may be low, the window lock may be loose, you may see ants! the faucet may drip! Trip advisor help me!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hi. Was at Tortuga Bay a number of years ago. Ranieri has done a very nice site. Beautiful villa and playa blanca.
Good to hear you were at the only five diamond hotel in the Dominican Republic.

82A22E15-377F-421C-BDDE-385A6ECE2548.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo
Feb 7, 2007
It's quite simple and obvious. Most foreigners (minus Haitians and Venezuelans) are tourists and they will not get into the USA/Canada/(insert European country) without a Covid test that must be negative. Since most will be in the DR for a few days, couple of weeks tops, and then head back to the First World; no Covid positive tourist will travel to the DR to begin with.
You don't need a test to enter any European Union country from the DR if you are fully vaccinated by EMA approved vaccine. In addition to that some EU countries allow reentry if vaccinated by WHO approved vaccine (and not yet approved by EMA).

Feb 7, 2007
How many tourists are not allowed to board an airplane heading back to the USA? Are Dominican airports facing a crisis of Americans that can’t leave die to a positive PCR test? The Punta Cana Airport has more flights to more places in the USA than any other Dominican airport.Are they facing this problem?

You can read it in the comments of NY Times article. You can have a positive test and a 50 dollars bribe will get you to board... "Meet me around the corner..."

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The desire to go back to the USA in 4 or 5 days, not to mention work obligations that most have. For many the thought of having a severe case of Covid that requires hospitalization while in the DR is enough of a deterrent.

How many tourists are not allowed to board an airplane heading back to the USA? Are Dominican airports facing a crisis of Americans that can’t leave die to a positive PCR test? The Punta Cana Airport has more flights to more places in the USA than any other Dominican airport.Are they facing this problem?
I should have asked what laws/regulations prevent such a US positive testing citizen from flying to the DR. Not what is in the person's mind, but what laws or regulations would prevent this. I expect none since no test is needed to board the plane in the US and many positive and contagious people have Omicron and can spread it but have no outward symptoms. In other words, they would never even know they were positive.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I should have asked what laws/regulations prevent such a US positive testing citizen from flying to the DR. Not what is in the person's mind, but what laws or regulations would prevent this. I expect none since no test is needed to board the plane in the US and many positive and contagious people have Omicron and can spread it but have no outward symptoms. In other words, they would never even know they were positive.
They're not sending their best

Reactions: aarhus and Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They're not sending their best
It isn't about a best or worst. It is about a simple realization nothing is stopping asymptomatic people from entering the DR from the US. The asymptomatic have no way of knowing and even testing, which is not required to leave the US, is no guarantee when it comes to omicron.

ricpaq

May 21, 2015
The country is a rare pandemic success story, with recent visitor numbers far surpassing those of most other Caribbean destinations. Easy entry rules are a draw, but some locals are uneasy.
Unlike many other Caribbean beach destinations, the Dominican Republic doesn’t require proof of vaccination, test results or quarantine for most incoming travelers. Above, a scene in Punta Cana, one of the most popular spots.Credit...Tony Cenicola/The New York Time

The country is a rare pandemic success story, with recent visitor numbers far surpassing those of most other Caribbean destinations. Easy entry rules are a draw, but some locals are uneasy.
Unlike many other Caribbean beach destinations, the Dominican Republic doesn’t require proof of vaccination, test results or quarantine for most incoming travelers. Above, a scene in Punta Cana, one of the most popular spots.Credit...Tony Cenicola/The New York Time

Maybe locals don't want to be locked down again. Lock down in DR is no joke. Gringo's in US and other places had a paid vacation with their lock down. Gringo's cry about masks and quarantines. How would you like to be rounded up on the streets if out past curfew? How would you like to be out of a job without financial help? Lock down in DR means what it say's and gringos are too weak to handle that. But that's why DR had very low COVID infections and that's why locals feel uneasy about easy entry rules.

Reactions: aarhus

ricpaq

May 21, 2015
Maybe locals don't want to be locked down again. Lock down in DR is no joke. Gringo's in US and other places had a paid vacation with their lock down. Gringo's cry about masks and quarantines. How would you like to be rounded up on the streets if out past curfew? How would you like to be out of a job without financial help? Lock down in DR means what it say's and gringos are too weak to handle that. But that's why DR had very low COVID infections and that's why locals feel uneasy about easy entry rules.
Sorry about multiple posts. Don't know what happened.