New point system coming for drivers?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Agentes-Intrant-Diario-Libre.jpg

The Intrant is working on implementing a new driver’s license point system. The point system is a graduated scale that assigns relative values to convictions. When you are ticketed, you may earn points against your driving record, which when accumulated may cause your license to be suspended.

The Intrant is giving people until 23 February 2022 to make observations to the proposed system.

Intrant proposes that drivers with four years of having been authorized to drive starts out with 10 points that may be reduced with each ticketed traffic infraction. The points can be increased to 15 points after two years without infractions.

Drivers with more than four years start out with 20 points.

All drivers should check out the list to learn of the possible reasons for getting ticketed.

Violating a traffic light costs drivers five points, for instance. Motorcyclists without...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Without a doubt team Luis is working to turn the DR into the 51st state of america tho be it slightly assbackwards.

Reactions: jd426

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Take their vechile and dont return it until they show up with a licence and pay a hefty fine.
Thats a great idea but I think they should just enforce the laws they have now and once they get to a certain degree of compliance then make new rules to re-enforce the existing ones. red lights,helmuts,liciense,wrong way on one way streets, wrong side of the road driving, passing on the double yellow line........I could go on but won't

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
rogerjac.....
I was ticketed in December for the double line cross

Big trucks were entering via 'cloverleaf' and were slooow.... i swung out & around
BAM!... ticketed

Reactions: AlaPlaya

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
example.....5 guys each riding a pasola none with a Helmut. which one will get stopped by met and given a ticket? answer is the gringo as he will pay the fine. no point in giving a fine to someone who ignores it

Reactions: CristoRey

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
A DL point system is great...... IF a) laws are actually enforced and b) as long as people have a licence, which is not the case here.

Useless law #17 211 of the 29th Constitution is all it will amount to, sadly.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm sure if the government seized and auctioned off or destroyed vehicles after a certain number of points we would see a sharp drop in the number of traffic violations.
They already sieze a large amount of vehicles. One only has to drive by one of the DIGESETT storage areas to see them.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I can see this working without any problems. Especially seeing as half the drivers here dont have a licence and the ones that do are mostly expats.
Absolutely no problems at all. Just another pie in the sky scheme to avoid dealing with actual issues here

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I can see this working without any problems. Especially seeing as half the drivers here dont have a licence and the ones that do are mostly expats.
Absolutely no problems at all. Just another pie in the sky scheme to avoid dealing with actual issues here
Expats are a very small part of the Dominican Republic, and an even smaller part of those with Drivers licences.

Reactions: JD Jones

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Expats are a very small part of the Dominican Republic, and an even smaller part of those with Drivers licences.
I don't think I agree with that. Pretty much all the expats I know have a valid DR drivers license. Most of the DR nationals I know do not have a DR license and have no desire or motivation to get one. Zero percent of the Haitians I know have one or will ever get one.