Intertwined Problems: DR as Dev. Country as Affects Service; ISP issues.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
It may seem strange but I’m actually considering hiring a bilingual Dominican attorney not for any legal issue but simply to make phone calls, get accurate information, and exert influence so that I can get what I need.

Problem 1

In my 13 years of living permanently in the D.R. this has been my experience with respect to needing service from a business and receiving correct information and then, subsequently, appropriate follow through to execute that service:

a. Infrequent: You receive correct information and appropriate follow-up to implement the service.

In a country where a large swathe of the population is undereducated and underpaid, it is often the case that –

b. Frequent: When you ask a question someone tells you that they don’t know the answer but they make no attempt to find the answer (e.g. calling someone else),

c. Frequent: They don’t know the answer but instead of saying that they lie, give you false information, and then if you proceed to act on that lie, which you thought was true, you end up in frustration and failure.

I provide the foregoing as background to:

Problem 2:

In Santo Domingo we have Altice cable internet but:

a. The wi-fi in the modem/router stopped functioning. My wife took the modem to the main office in Sambil on Saturday March 5 and they said that a technician would arrive on that day to swap it out. It is now the 4th day, Tuesday, March 8, and we are captive in our house, a call is made every day and we are being told that “someone will come today” which is evidently a lie.

b. For my work, I require a modem/router with advanced configuration options, specifically, port forwarding, or I cannot do my work. The Altice modem lacks that feature and they have no modem that has that feature,

c. But when we speak to Altice tech support, one person says that the problem is that the Motorola Modem MG7315 that I purchased and want to swap out for the Altice modem, is blocked, and that I must take it to one of the many cellular businesses that unblock phones. Another Altice tech support person says that the other Altice support person is incorrect and that a technician can install my modem (I have tried and failed but my LAN chops are weak, on the other hand, I am not pretending to be a LAN technician!). One or both of these guys are talking out of their *ss and there’s no way to know who is correct. Third opinion maybe? But no one is showing up anyway.

d. My wife, dominicana, calls Claro today to find out if they offer the service we need. She does confirm that fiber-optic (not DSL) is available for my area and that it is mandatory to use the Claro modem and that they will not permit a swapout. (Of course, that really doesn’t answer the question if a swapout is possible independently of Claro). She then tries to find out the name and model number of the Claro modem/router so that I can download the manual from the net and find out if it has the config. features I need. But, here, customer support is unable or refuses to answer a basic question: What is the name and model of the modem? So now I have to go to the Main Office on 30 de marzo to seek an answer for this simple question . . .

So, if I cannot get the ISP service I need within a reasonable time, I’m going to hire an attorney just to cut through the bullshit. I mean how many days can we tolerate being captive in our house?

Questions:

(1) In the D.R. and, specifically, Sto. Dom., what other ISP’s exist besides Claro and Altice that have home internet at bandwidth > DSL?

(2) Does anyone know how I can find a LAN technician to come to my house and do my setup?

(3) Has anyone used their own modem/router and, if so, with what ISP?

Many thanks for your ideas . . .

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As someone who's been living here full-time for 10 years having
spent last 8 years working in the outsourcing industry being forced
to deal with more tech issues and dysfunctional call center owners
than you can shake a stick at, here's my advice.

Find out who your local technician/ contracted Altice service fella is,
get his number, call and explain to him the problem(s) you are having.
Stock a few ice cold Presidentes in your refrigerator for the next time he shows up.
You'd be amazed at the level of service you'll receive going forward.

Hiring a lawyer would be a hell of a lot more expensive and he/she will
get the exact same answers they're giving you now. Unfortunately there is
very little you, I or anyone else can do to change their lack of problem
solving skills or work ethic.

Reactions: Liberator

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
@CristoRey
That's a good idea. If and when the tech shows up I'll try to get his personal cell number and offer some cash for some help on the side. And if he can't help maybe he'll know someone who can for a little $$.

OP to All:

If anyone has a Claro fiber-optic router/modem, if you could give me the name and model number (it will be right on the modem) that would be a big help. That way I could download the manual and that would save me a few hours going to the office tomorrow . . . All I need to know is if the modem can do X or it cannot and I can find that out as soon as I look at the manual.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
@CristoRey
That's a good idea. If and when the tech shows up I'll try to get his personal cell number and offer some cash for some help on the side. And if he can't help maybe he'll know someone who can for a little $$.

OP to All:

If anyone has a Claro fiber-optic router/modem, if you could give me the name and model number (it will be right on the modem) that would be a big help. That way I could download the manual and that would save me a few hours going to the office tomorrow . . . All I need to know is if the modem can do X or it cannot and I can find that out as soon as I look at the manual.

Attachments

• 1646785946865.png
    1646785946865.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 96

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
@CristoRey
This information that you provided may be very useful. I'm not sure yet. Claro is kind of throwing a curve ball here. No where does it state that Claro supports these modems for its full-on fiber optic service. These modems are listed under a very limited function: Which models are supported for the purpose of changing the wif-fi password? A modem works perfectly fine without wi-fi to say nothing about this page being about nothing more then changing passwords.

Really, I need to know, first, if Claro has more than one modem model and if any of them have advanced configuration. And, secondly, tech support stated firmly today that Claro accepts NO other manufacturers' modems.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
@Lucas61 if the modem issued to you by Altice is the ARRIS TG2482:
1646788081110.png

the option of Virtual Server under the Firewall tab is Port Forwarding:
1646788246610.png

To access this setup menu go to http://192.168.0.1/ (usually) and use:
User:- Cusadmin
Password :- password -- or the Preshared Key found on the modem sticker.

Reactions: Lucas61

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
OP continuing: I took a look at tienda.claro.com.do <Servicios Hogar < Equipos and found two routers: Alcatel MW41 and Router PCD J600 Negro. However, when I googled for manuals . . . nothing. Pretty strange. I even went to the Alcatel website and could find nothing. Sure, I found manuals, but none with those exact names . . . one manual I looked at did support the advanced configuration I need but, again, I'm not sure if it was Claro's modem or not. And I also don't know if these same Claro modems are used for fiber-optic, which I think is new provisioning for them. Well, tomorrow, I'm going to the main store on 30 de marzo and will try to get some answers.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
View attachment 5349
View attachment 5350
Wow! You sure have done a great job while NotLurking!! I don't have that modem. I believe it's high speed at 200 mbps down. Yes, it has exactly what I need, so I will download the manual and be off to Altice in Sambil tomorrow. You saved me a trip to Claro!

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Wow! You sure have done a great job while NotLurking!! I don't have that modem. I believe it's high speed at 200 mbps down. Yes, it has exactly what I need, so I will download the manual and be off to Altice in Sambil tomorrow. You saved me a trip to Claro!
I too am an Altice costumer and this is the modem provided to me by them. Yes this modem is capable of 200mbps+. You may want to ask them for this specific modem as a replacement for yours. If they don't have new ones in stock ask them for a remanufactured or reconditioned one. Glad I could be of help. Good luck tomorrow with Altice.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
View attachment 5349
View attachment 5350
@NotLurking

Sorry if I'm not replying in the right way . . . not sure! Weird. I googled and searched about 30 links and could not find the manual for ARRIS TG2482. I also went to the ARRIS website and they had no manual only a spec sheet. From Altice I could find no manual but only a Quick Start guide. Did you take screenshots internal to your modem or did you find the manual. I'm probably overly worried. You showed me that this modem clearly has port forwarding, so I should be OK. I just feel better when I can eyeball a manual.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
@NotLurking

Sorry if I'm not replying in the right way . . . not sure! Weird. I googled and searched about 30 links and could not find the manual for ARRIS TG2482. I also went to the ARRIS website and they had no manual only a spec sheet. From Altice I could find no manual but only a Quick Start guide. Did you take screenshots internal to your modem or did you find the manual. I'm probably overly worried. You showed me that this modem clearly has port forwarding, so I should be OK. I just feel better when I can eyeball a manual.
I took a screenshot of my modem configuration page but if you need the manual I'll attach the official Altice manual here in pdf format.

Attachments

• intructivo_arris_tg2482.pdf
    846.5 KB · Views: 135

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
I took a screenshot of my modem configuration page but if you need the manual I'll attach the official Altice manual here in pdf format.
I have the same. It's not a manual. It's a Quick Start guide. No biggie and thanks. I can clearly see by your screenshot that under the Firewall tab, a page is dedicated to port forwarding. So all is good. We have called Altice and they will be coming out. When the tech sets up, I will go to the modem's internals myself to confirm. Most people think about one thing only: bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth! For me, port forwarding is the make or break for my work, so everything hinges on that single config.! Yeah, I'm overly worried . . .

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
FWIW, Altice gave me a Huawai modem for my Fiber Optic service:

Huawei.jpg

Huawei model.jpg

Reactions: Lucas61

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
@CristoRey
This information that you provided may be very useful. I'm not sure yet. Claro is kind of throwing a curve ball here. No where does it state that Claro supports these modems for its full-on fiber optic service. These modems are listed under a very limited function: Which models are supported for the purpose of changing the wif-fi password? A modem works perfectly fine without wi-fi to say nothing about this page being about nothing more then changing passwords.

Really, I need to know, first, if Claro has more than one modem model and if any of them have advanced configuration. And, secondly, tech support stated firmly today that Claro accepts NO other manufacturers' modems.
I have Claro fiber optic and use the modem pictured above provided by Claro.
I've not yet looked into whether or not it has advanced configuration.