Go Camping Near Cabarete

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

You can also camp in the DR

Just as cycling is becoming more popular in the Dominican Republic, so is camping. Until recently, you were considered crazy if you intended to camp in the Dominican Republic. Yet it is now possible. Geko Piscina Restaurant Camping is located near Cabarete. There you can set up your tent for 100 pesos per person. You can also rent a tent for 1000 pesos per night. You then have access to the shower and pool. You can also go there to the river (Rio Yasica). There is a restaurant, but you can also cook your own meal at the tent. If you don't feel like staying overnight in a tent, you can also rent a chalet (for a maximum of 6 people) with a view over the river. So, camping is now possible in the Dominican Republic.​

You can also camp in the DR​

Contact details:
Camino las tres Damas, entrance to the beach, Palo amarillo, Sabaneta, 10 minutes drive from Cabarete
Whatsapp
+1 809 804 1454
Web: www.gekopiscina.com

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Cycling on public highways is as foolish as camping out and nothing I am aware of has made either activities more poplar or less crazy.
Just driving on the highways is dangerous.
Number one cause of death in the DR is highway accidents.

I like to bike in the gym with ac listening to my headphones.

I have been to the Rio Yasica area and the mosquitoes were ferocious.
Lots of nice hotels here with room service, ac and a big screen.
That's camping and the good ones have a gym so its a twofer.

I have had many a memorable night in a nice hotel but cannot say the same about sleeping outside on the ground.
Lastly its too damn hot here unless those pretty tents have ac.

Not my cuppa tea.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Cycling on public highways is as foolish as camping out and nothing I am aware of has made either activities more poplar or less crazy.

I have had many a memorable night in a nice hotel but cannot say the same about sleeping outside on the ground.

Not my cuppa tea.
It's a hippie thing, with limeted funds

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The runoff from every house, shack, and farm with all their goats, pigs, horses, chickens, and dogs from Sabaneta to past Jamao goes into that river. I think I'll pass.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The runoff from every house, shack, and farm with all their goats, pigs, horses, chickens, and dogs from Sabaneta to past Jamao goes into that river. I think I'll pass.
Not to mention the 5 gallon paint buckets of human feces from those along the river that don't have plumbing

Haiba anyone? Lol

Reactions: cavok

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I see Dominican kids swimming in the river every time I cross the bridge going into Sabaneta and I cringe.
Very similar to the Boca La Entrada de Cabrera. The river is mega long and all the kids and tigueres are swimming in it. It empties into the sea there. It smells awful. The tourist trucks with the canopy tops bring in cartfulls of gringos who throw peso change at the poor kids and swim in the sewage. They go home and tell their Bourdain tales

Aug 21, 2007
We have a wonderful place to go comping in Jamao. Yes, it is by the river but it is on a cliff. The owner of the house nearby cooks for for the campers in her outdoor kitchen over a wood fire. And if you want to book Eco tours, you can. Or if you are just there to camp and get far off the beaten path, you can do that, too.

Reactions: ctrob

Luz del mundo

Banned
Apr 4, 2022
Dominican Republic
Very similar to the Boca La Entrada de Cabrera. The river is mega long and all the kids and tigueres are swimming in it. It empties into the sea there. It smells awful. The tourist trucks with the canopy tops bring in cartfulls of gringos who throw peso change at the poor kids and swim in the sewage. They go home and tell their Bourdain tales
" They ho home and tell their Bourdain tales " ...Lollllll oh how true.! Couldnt have said it better haha.

Reactions: windeguy
Aug 21, 2007
The camping site in Jamao is not like this at all! It is remote.....a difficult place to reach without 4 wheel drive and impossible to reach after heavy rains. The location is upstream in the river and the water is crystal clear and clean. Locals drink it. You won't see anyone else swimming there, just the campers. Actually, I see few tourists there. It is mostly wealthy young, athletic Dominicans coming up from Santo Domingo. It is one of the few best kept secrets of the DR.

Reactions: cavok

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The camping site in Jamao is not like this at all! It is remote.....a difficult place to reach without 4 wheel drive and impossible to reach after heavy rains. The location is upstream in the river and the water is crystal clear and clean. Locals drink it. You won't see anyone else swimming there, just the campers. Actually, I see few tourists there. It is mostly wealthy young, athletic Dominicans coming up from Santo Domingo. It is one of the few best kept secrets of the DR.
Yes, agreed. Up at the top almost no contamination

Luz del mundo

Banned
Apr 4, 2022
Dominican Republic
Lindsay , by chance are you familiar with a place called Salto de los Golindrinas and Rio Partido ?

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010

Just as cycling is becoming more popular in the Dominican Republic, so is camping. Until recently, you were considered crazy if you intended to camp in the Dominican Republic. Yet it is now possible. Geko Piscina Restaurant Camping is located near Cabarete. There you can set up your tent for 100 pesos per person. You can also rent a tent for 1000 pesos per night. You then have access to the shower and pool. You can also go there to the river (Rio Yasica). There is a restaurant, but you can also cook your own meal at the tent. If you don't feel like staying overnight in a tent, you can also rent a chalet (for a maximum of 6 people) with a view over the river. So, camping is now possible in the Dominican Republic.​

Contact details:​

Camino las tres Damas, entrance to the beach, Palo amarillo, Sabaneta, 10 minutes drive from Cabarete​

Whatsapp
+1 809 804 1454​

Its always been possible. Plenty of parks and commercial campsites.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Not my cuppa tea.

Contact details:​

Camino las tres Damas, entrance to the beach, Palo amarillo, Sabaneta, 10 minutes drive from Cabarete​

Whatsapp
+1 809 804 1454​

This sounds like a press release.
Hey Ken, you have any money tied up in these campgrounds?

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Camping in EU and the States different ballgame. My thing with pitching a tent in the jungle is the creepy crawlies. Whenever you have a lush green area, palm trees, plantain and guineo trees, etc. You get the centipedes and kakata, not to mention snakes when it's too hot or rainy. Guy i know was sleeping in a wood shack in a "camping" style area. Caught a good rum buzz, fell asleep on the floor and a centipede bit his lip. He was dizzy and vomiting and his mouth looked like someone's buttocks. Not to mention the pain. He needed serious treatment rapidly. I'll stick to hotels.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Not my cuppa tea.
Camping is obviously not for everyone.

I did enjoy camping when I lived in my home country, I also see no reason to do it in the DR, but some will probably enjoy it.

Reactions: CristoRey