Power When Electric Out

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
why do youn eed 2 batteries not one?
Longer time. The power can go out here for all night, in fact you can count on 4 hours per day it seems lately. The EDEs can not keep the electricity flowing. 24/7 is the biggest myth since "the check is in the mail"
Two batteries might last 10-12 hours with minimal connections

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Longer time. The power can go out here for all night, in fact you can count on 4 hours per day it seems lately. The EDEs can not keep the electricity flowing. 24/7 is the biggest myth since "the check is in the mail"
CB, don't you think it will get better in June, when all the power plants are hypothetically going back online? I'm sure hoping for that.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CB, don't you think it will get better in June, when all the power plants are hypothetically going back online? I'm sure hoping for that.
Last night on the news it was discussed and said that it will take about a year to get back to normal. I hope they are wrong.

They may even run out of tires to burn in Navarrete.

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And keep in mind that discharging lead acid batteries below 50% will greatly diminish their useful life. So more is better for several reasons except for the price you pay.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
How long does a charge last? I was trying to decide between a battery, like d battery, fan or rechargeable. Problem is rechargeable needs electricity to charge. Battery I can have a few on hand.
If that's of any help, there are rechargeable batteries in most sizes like A/AA/AAA and chargers for those available...Not sure how readily in size D available locally

ese tipo

Apr 12, 2019
And keep in mind that discharging lead acid batteries below 50% will greatly diminish their useful life. So more is better for several reasons except for the price you pay.
Great point.Which is why lithium is much better but more expensive.Some lithium batteries will allow you to discharge to 80 even 100 % without affecting cycle life.As far as 2 batteries lasting longer I don't believe that to be the case.For example if you were to have a 12 volt battery @ 100 amp hours and since amps x volts = watts then that would be 1200 watt hours, hence a 6 volt battery @ 100 amp hours would equal 600 watt hours.Since you would need 2- 6 volt batts to equal the 12 volts that your inverter works off of, that would be 6 volts + 6 volts ( series connection ) giving you 12 volts same as the single 12 volt battery capacity.So I don't believe that is the answer as to why the 6 volt battery is the preferred choice.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Great point.Which is why lithium is much better but more expensive.Some lithium batteries will allow you to discharge to 80 even 100 % without affecting cycle life.As far as 2 batteries lasting longer I don't believe that to be the case.For example if you were to have a 12 volt battery @ 100 amp hours and since amps x volts = watts then that would be 1200 watt hours, hence a 6 volt battery @ 100 amp hours would equal 600 watt hours.Since you would need 2- 6 volt batts to equal the 12 volts that your inverter works off of, that would be 6 volts + 6 volts ( series connection ) giving you 12 volts same as the single 12 volt battery capacity.So I don't believe that is the answer as to why the 6 volt battery is the preferred choice.
Two batteries of the same capacity will last longer than one is the point.
Of course the capacity in AH and voltage are what determine the amount of power stored and then available during a blackout.
Most deep cycle lead acid batteries sold here are 6 volts and in the 225 AH range like Trojan T-105s.

Lithium batteries are "better" because of energy density and charge characteristics, but are they worth the trade off in price versus performance over lead acid batteries? Perhaps.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
How long does a charge last? I was trying to decide between a battery, like d battery, fan or rechargeable. Problem is rechargeable needs electricity to charge. Battery I can have a few on hand.
The fan lasts at least 5-6 hours.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
move out east with cepm we always have lights and a super high bill at the end of the month..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
move out east with cepm we always have lights and a super high bill at the end of the month..
Actually you can get a much cheaper bill with CEPM if you join the Pre-Paid plan instead of the Post-Paid plan that all the Gringos join. I know Dominicans that pay about 1,000 rd a month. This is the best kept secret in PC...........

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Actually you can get a much cheaper bill with CEPM if you join the Pre-Paid plan instead of the Post-Paid plan that all the Gringos join. I know Dominicans that pay about 1,000 rd a month. This is the best kept secret in PC...........
I heard about that... i have to look into it..

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I was just checking my bills for the same time for the last 6 years. Same usage. Went from around rd$650 a month to this bill a little over rd$1000. I don't have much. Computer, fridge, blender, wash maybe 2times a week, hang dry, a stand fan running day and night. But, power is pretty good where I live.

I will look into a battery fan for now for when a storm passes, something explodes or when they do maintenance. I guess I'll just have to keep going to the local Colmado for recharges to kindle, phone and for wifi.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I was thinking about just hooking up my house inverter to my car battery for my internet router and a light bulb. Can I do that? I dont want to buy batteries for my inverter. Why are inverter batteries 6 volt?

Fiji

Jul 7, 2022
Canada
Will the internet die if the power goes out? Not the home router, which one can put on a UPS, but the actual signal?