Day to Day Food Choices

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Try $8.49 in Food Emporium, groceries are up 50% in the past 6 months, this is real!

The decaf is more, WTF drinks decaf?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am moving to Bushwick!

3/$10 10 oz Bricks!

1653355813063.png

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Folks, I finally tried Lavazza (AlterEgo's favorite), and I was pleasantly surprised.
Illy is still king, but Lavazza is just as great!

Reactions: AlterEgo

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
This is off topic for this thread but generally speaking, we're 4 persons and a growing dog and the prices are completely out of control here... For food and for non-food... I have seen things up to 45 % increases on certain essentials that we as a family consume... The last couple of weeks, I have been afraid to go to the supermarket... I'd rather just not pay and get out but that would not be fair for the supermarket... So I just triple-check the price tags and purchase the largest containers available when it makes sense...
Also a bit off-topic, but in line with this comment. We've been buying Flora Margarine, and for the past few years, it's been around 300 pesos for a big 1.8kg (I think), and just the other day my wife came home and the bill said 490 pesos. I was in shock! That's almost a 50% increase just like that.
That was the same thing a couple of weeks ago, I sometimes enjoy some Bacon and eggs, and I've at least once or twice bought a half-pound pack of those frozen packs of Bacon that has cost around 200 pesos when I suddenly noticed 300+ pesos... I can just say that I've not eaten any Bacon since then... This is getting out of control.
But other than the food prices going straight to the sky, it's AWESOME living in a country without market competition :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: zoomzx11

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I try and stay away from pre-made food stuff.

For many reasons, in no particular order:
-more expensive than doing my own ( roast -chicken as a prime example ).
-never as good as home cooking.
-always, always, far too salty and/or sugary ( dont get me going on US pasta sauce brands..... special kind of stupid having a sugary sauce on pasta )
- zero confidence in the guys who prep it.
- zero confidence in the ingredients.

Reactions: bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What's 8.49

I try and stay away from pre-made food stuff.

For many reasons, in no particular order:
-more expensive than doing my own ( roast -chicken as a prime example ).
-never as good as home cooking.
-always, always, far too salty and/or sugary ( dont get me going on US pasta sauce brands..... special kind of stupid having a sugary sauce on pasta )
- zero confidence in the guys who prep it.
- zero confidence in the ingredients.
I totally agree. My MIL likes to use Maggi and tomato paste but other than that everything is unprocessed, other than pasta Italian.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
My diet is here is fairly simple, and I like to stick to making my own food most of the time so I can try and keep it somewhat healthy. I haven't noticed my grocery bill go up too much with inflation (perhaps because I don't buy a lot of meat?).

Breakfast I usually made a breakfast sandwich on a bagel with a fried egg (or folded scrambled egg), cheese, and two slices of bacon, or a bowl of Greek yoghurt with local honey, granola, and berries.
Snack Typically an avocado, a banana, some grapes or watermelon. Sometimes I'll make a salsa or cowboy caviar and keep it in the fridge in case I want a heartier snack.
Lunch/Dinner I typically only eat one meal later in the afternoon between lunch and dinner. Usually a salad (lots of caprese ones at the moment), or lettuce wraps with ground beef and cheese; egg salad; chicken salad; or coronation chicken. When it's rainy, I find I'm more inclined to make soups.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I know you posted this for the Bustelo…. But I fixated on the 10 platanos for $2.

How much are platanos in DR these days???
Here in sto. dgo. este. I get 8 platanos for 100 pesos from a truck which is similar to 10 for US$2. One thing of note is that markets in NYC usually take a lost on platanos to wheel in the patrons and get them on most other things. In Florida in Publix I get 2 smallish plantains for 0.99 to 1.19 and in Sedanos I've bought them at 4 per dollar.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Also a bit off-topic, but in line with this comment. We've been buying Flora Margarine, and for the past few years, it's been around 300 pesos for a big 1.8kg (I think), and just the other day my wife came home and the bill said 490 pesos. I was in shock! That's almost a 50% increase just like that.
If it makes you feel any better (it won't), the same chicken breast that cost $2..09/lb at Walmart a few months ago cost me $3.29/lb yesterday.
I feel for the Dominicans who have to deal with both higher prices and a devalued peso compared to several years ago.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Here in sto. dgo. este. I get 8 platanos for 100 pesos from a truck which is similar to 10 for US$2. One thing of note is that markets in NYC usually take a lost on platanos to wheel in the patrons and get them on most other things. In Florida in Publix I get 2 smallish plantains for 0.99 to 1.19 and in Sedanos I've bought them at 4 per dollar.
Last time we bought them from a truck there, they were 15 pesos each (2020).

In NJ they are $.40-.60 each. Usually from Ecuador