Day to Day Food Choices

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I know you posted this for the Bustelo…. But I fixated on the 10 platanos for $2.

How much are platanos in DR these days???
NotLurking has it right.
It's a loss leader.
The fine print specifies a grocery order of min $30. to get that price.
How much do passionfruits (chinola) cost in the D.R. these days?
In my little corner of the world they sell for $1.79 CAD a piece.
Hard to believe but sadly...true.
I spring for them every now and again.
Hah.
It's worth it to get that early morning puckery rush and start to the day.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Chins are 10 or 12 PESOS each here.
I eat em for BK
Morning puckery rush describes it perfectly I’m stealing that one thank you

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
NotLurking has it right.
It's a loss leader.
Hah.
I just reach out and pull them off the vine or pick them off the ground. Really nice ones this year. Our neighbour sells his for 10 pesos each.
20220519_183658.jpg

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
NotLurking has it right.
It's a loss leader.
Hah.
Don't feel bad about that $1.79 CAD price. Last year I was in Florida and my brother-in-law paid US$5 for 2 passion fruits much smaller than the ones @bob saunders posted. I almost had a heart attack. I pay 10 pesos for one when I buy but mostly get them for free from my neighbor's vine, Certainly good eats!

PS: I too like your puckery rush description.

Reactions: Gadfly

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I just reach out and pull them off the vine or pick them off the ground. Really nice ones this year. Our neighbour sells his for 10 pesos each. View attachment 5685
Amazing since one can plant one in their yard and in a very short time have more than you could ever possibly eat. They grow like weeds.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
If it makes you feel any better (it won't), the same chicken breast that cost $2..09/lb at Walmart a few months ago cost me $3.29/lb yesterday.
I feel for the Dominicans who have to deal with both higher prices and a devalued peso compared to several years ago.
Buy a whole chicken.
Take of the skin, on low fire. Lots of grease, healthy.
Cook the chicken (in 8 parts) in that grease.
Keep the skin, fry untill crispy, for the dog or your green salad.

The skeleton…boil it.
Great chicken soup.

Reactions: JD Jones

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I eat oatmeal every day. Depending on my mood, I add whatever...fruit, nuts, honey, peanut butter, brown sugar, etc.. It is very filling and actually when I feel like something sweet I will have a bowl with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon. Really don't drink coffee. I do make batidas and sometimes add a bit of oatmeal to them. I am a big salad eater however I do get the roasted chicken from La Sirena at times. I love cheese so that will be a snack for me. As I get older my diet has adjusted. Not too much read meat (if any although once in a while a good steak is in order), pork not so much. Pasta is my "love". A good pasta dish makes my day.
Recently perfecting my carbonara game. Thanks to uncle W² turning me on to the Reberde Gourmet next to Gorditos fake Mexican food. Great guanciale and pecorino romano. So delish

• Haha
Reactions: Tamborista

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Recently perfecting my carbonara game. Thanks to uncle W² turning me on to the Reberde Gourmet next to Gorditos fake Mexican food. Great guanciale and pecorino romano. So delish
Might be "fake Mexican food" to you but Gorditos fish tacos totally blow the others away 🌮

Reactions: Bob Boyd

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I eat oatmeal every day. Depending on my mood, I add whatever...fruit, nuts, honey, peanut butter, brown sugar, etc.. It is very filling and actually when I feel like something sweet I will have a bowl with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon. Really don't drink coffee. I do make batidas and sometimes add a bit of oatmeal to them. I am a big salad eater however I do get the roasted chicken from La Sirena at times. I love cheese so that will be a snack for me. As I get older my diet has adjusted. Not too much read meat (if any although once in a while a good steak is in order), pork not so much. Pasta is my "love". A good pasta dish makes my day.
Peanut butter in oatmeal? Must give it a try. I love peanut butter.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Buy a whole chicken.
Take of the skin, on low fire. Lots of grease, healthy.
Cook the chicken (in 8 parts) in that grease.
Keep the skin, fry untill crispy, for the dog or your green salad.

The skeleton…boil it.
Great chicken soup.
Must be fat of course, not grease. English is hard sometimes combined with some drinks.

Reactions: Gadfly

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You aren't supposed to eat rotten tuna. Albacore tuna in water or olive oil is very good. Add some pepper and some smelly cheese to your Al Dente cooked pasta. Pesta added is also good. My first wife was Italian. I have no idea of all the things she put in pasta but it was all wonderful.
Tuna is best with finely diced sweet baby Gherkin pickles added and even minced black olives

Reactions: bob saunders

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I spent a great deal of my life where fresh tuna steaks were available at the wharf, along with Halibut, Cod, and crab. Fresh tuna on the barbeque is nothing like tuna out of a can.; unbelievably good.
Been there, done that with local fishermen. I used to go to a place where they fried thick tuna steaks smothered in onions.
As for canned tuna, I'm happy mixing in a good portion of dill (or sweet) pickle relish, diced olives and a little mayo.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Been there, done that with local fishermen. I used to go to a place where they fried thick tuna steaks smothered in onions.
As for canned tuna, I'm happy mixing in a good portion of dill (or sweet) pickle relish, diced olives and a little mayo.
I do tuna melts on butter garlic toasted pita. Tomato and topped with my secret cheese trifecta, gouda, sharp cheddar and manchego.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I spent a great deal of my life where fresh tuna steaks were available at the wharf, along with Halibut, Cod, and crab. Fresh tuna on the barbeque is nothing like tuna out of a can.; unbelievably good.
Cooked on a tin by lime in the sun on the back of a fishing boat in the pacific ocean with horseradish and saltines is pretty good too

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Cooked on a tin by lime in the sun on the back of a fishing boat in the pacific ocean with horseradish and saltines is pretty good too
If you've got the fishing boat, I'm all for a ride. May take us a while to get to the Pacific though. LOL

You've got my interest peaked with that mention of horseradish. I may have to try that today.