Arturo Fuente Cigar Club - First Impression

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
This former English teacher likes circumambulations, so here we go. When my father died in 1994, I inherited $500.00. I took that money and bought a Daniel Marshall humidor! That should give you an indication of my cigar smoking experience . . .

For you cigar aficianados I need not repeat stuff about the elegance and charm of this business. Google Maps photos does a great job of that. Most striking to me, actually shocking, were the low prices of the cigars! You all know that for a good quality cigar special deals, discounts, etc. don't exist unless you are buying a fake cigar or have no idea how to judge quality. If you want the good stuff, you gotta pay the money. That being said, a Chateau was RD$ 300.00. That's amazing! The same at La Leyenda on El Conde, a place which boasts excellent quality house cigars, such as their robusto maduro, that same Chateau costs RD$ 650.00, more than double the price! An Opus X was RD$ 1,500, seemingly a low price for their premier cigar; however, I smoked one in Chicago around 25 years ago, soon after it came out, and I think then I paid about $60.00 USD. I thought it was over-rated, so I have no idea where that particular cigar stands on the quality scale compared to the Hemingway series, for example.

The arrangement of the lounge, with the bar at the center, provided lots of comfortable seating areas for different sizes of groups. I went there in the early afternoon, and I was one of the few. I smoked, drank coffee, and read a book. It started to pick up around 5:30. Since it closes at 12.00 midnight, it's probably best to go there in the evening if you want activity.

The bathroom was spotless. I tried a small meal, lasagna stuffed with spinach. It was excellent and moderately priced. The menu is small but complete: cheeses and meats as appetizers; some salads; some entrees; some desserts.

The low prices indicate to me that this business is not about making money per se but, rather, is a showcase for the Arturo Fuente enterprise, and I think that its appointments, refinement, and low prices, reflect that pride.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I buy a box of Leon Jimenes Robustos every month, and usually have one a day in the afternoon.

Cigar producers aren't getting rich off of me. lol

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
OP: I thought I 'd learn a little more about the Arturo Fuente brand so I went to--Where else?--Wikipedia. There was an editorial note claiming bias and indicating that the article read more like an advertisement than an objective presentation. In reading the article, except for an absence of criticisms, I felt that it was straightforward and above board. I bullet some of the points I learned:

1. "puro" means not cigar as I had thought--although it could mean that--but a cigar that is "pure" in the sense that the binder, filler, and wrapper are produced in the same country. Again, according to the point of view presented in the article, wrapper has been historically difficult or impossible to grow in the Dom. Rep. due to a combination of technical and ecological issues. Those problems have now been solved and A.F. now grows its own wrapper.
  2. Roughly, the migration of the family and its cigar production: Cuba < Florida < Nicaragua < Dominican Republic. The original factory in Florida, early 20th century, burned down. Twenty-two years passed before the business was re-established. Much later in time, the factory in Nicaragua also burned down. The business is now in the periphery of Santiago, Dom. Rep.
  3. Wikipedia does a great job of providing primary sources. If you scroll down to the end of the article titled "Arturo Fuente," you will see a link/URL to cigarcabana.com N.B. I am NOT presenting that link because that site no longer exists and is archived; however, clicking on the Wikipedia link will bring you there, and there you can find:
  4. a wonderful compendium of the Arturo Fuents brands along with photographs and measurements. I oftne smoke "Chateau Fuente" the short robusto with a green ribbon. I learned that "Chateau" is a line of which "Chateau Fuente" is only one. There are around ten more.
  5. Further, I learned that the line named "Opus X," their flagship presentation, is formally known as "Fuente Fuente Opus X" and, furthermore, there are about ten in their flagship line, not just one as I had thought.
  6. Between you and me, any ring guage < 50, I cannot accept it! So I made a list of the Opus X cigars that are both close to robusto in size and 50 or > 50 in ring guage, and those are: Opus X Love Affair, Magnam O, Robusto, Super Belicoso, Perfecxion Shark (weird spelling). Next time I go to the A.F. Cigar Club--maybe on Saturday--I'll see which of these they have. Without specifying, I asked the price of an Opus X and I was told RD$ 1,700.00. Sure, expensive, but about what you'd expect for their best production. The only question is, when you smoke it, is it worth that extra money or is it a case of diminishing returns?

7. Enjoy!

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Arturo Fuente Cigar Club was listed on Google Maps as "open" on Saturday night. I went there by Uber. It was closed. It's a good thing
that the drive had not left so I could return with him or I would have been standing at night "en una calle solitaria," definitely something to
be avoided. Goolge Maps said that they were closed on Friday, so that indicated to me that when Saturday said "open, " that that meant open.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Arturo Fuente Cigar Club was listed on Google Maps as "open" on Saturday night. I went there by Uber. It was closed. It's a good thing
that the drive had not left so I could return with him or I would have been standing at night "en una calle solitaria," definitely something to
be avoided. Goolge Maps said that they were closed on Friday, so that indicated to me that when Saturday said "open, " that that meant open.
Remember it's Holy Week. They're all off in their luxury mansions this weekend.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Sure, I know that. But Google Maps is usually accurate with respect to opening and closing times and, in this case, the information was incorrect.
But, as you indicate, probably the best rule of thumb is that "if it's Semana Santa, wait until the folowing Monday" when everything, for sure, gets back
to normal.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I'll take a chance this summer... see if they are up to my standards.

My motto ... live is too short.

Smoke less but better (Zino Davidoff)

Attachments

• 7C0D29E6-9A12-4B05-B5A0-65C89AD1DFB5.jpeg
    7C0D29E6-9A12-4B05-B5A0-65C89AD1DFB5.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 117

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I wonder if they still do the cigar festival in Santiago. I went to it a few times great event even saw Karl Malone there one time.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I really liked the Arturo Fuentes Club before they remodeled the place. Big, deep leather chairs and couches, the waiters would cut your cigar for you if you wished, and light it for you if you were so inclined.
I used to go in the afternoons and sit there by myself and enjoy a cigar.
I also met a few rich and famous types passing through. Definitely a nice experience.

Fiji

Jul 7, 2022
Canada
Just ate here. Should be called Arturo Fuente Club. The food is amongst the best I’ve ever eaten.