STRONG dollar. How hard will it hit the DR??

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I use my visa card to pay for everything in pesos here in the 🇩🇴
I consistently get a better rate than I would converting USD into DOP using cash here in the 🇩🇴 (.3 to .5)
Unless I am converting more that 5000 USD into DOP I get a better rate pulling DOP out of the ATM using my Schwab account.

Now, that is when I am not doing my laundry of course. 🤑
But what do I know about 💵❓
I don't have Big 💰like sum o y'all up in here🤪
mma
But I do miss the 1 USD to 58 DOP days
You are getting fantastic rates! I've read you mentioning Schawb account a few times. Is the visa your using linked to your Charles Schwab account? If so Imma look into getting me one. TIA

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I pay everything in pesos. On rare occasion I pay with my Chase visa debit. The exchange rate isn't great and I get charged a 3% foreign exchange fee. Last month I used it on a RD$5,049.27 restaurant bill, I got charged US$92.57 plus US$2.78 foreign exchange fee. That gives me and effective exchange rate of 52.96 to 1. NOT GOOD. I haven't used any of my credit cards in a long while here in DR. But I'll use my Chase Freedom visa next time I'm out to compare it to my Chase debit.
With my Citibank MC, I'm getting the normal exchange rate, 54 and change. I never use my either of my debit cards here except for ATMs. I honestly don't know what they would charge.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I use a credit card that does not have any foreign exchange fees.
And my bank serves a clientele that they know often spend a lot of time overseas.
So, the card works out quite well for me.
As does my ATM card.

@NotLurking what is the best way have found to exchange USD for DOP?
I wish I could give you a good answer as I too am looking for the best way to exchange US$ to DR$. I pay with pesos because most of my tenants pay their rent in pesos. If you become a regular customer of an exchange house they offer the best rate and deliver-- they go to your house and bring you the cash to exchange whatever amount you want. I use to do it that way about a decade ago when I was in construction of a rental building but haven't used an exchange house in a long while. If you find a good option please share.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
You are getting fantastic rates! I've read you mentioning Schawb account a few times. Is the visa your using linked to your Charles Schwab account? If so Imma look into getting me one. TIA
No, my Schwab account is a debit/ATM card that I only use as an ATM card.
Although if I wanted to use it like a VISA card and direct debt my account I would not incur any foreign exchange fees.
But I don't use it that way.
I feel debit cards are financial liabilities.
I will send you a personal message about the VISA credit card I use.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The dollar to peso rate has been 54 to 55 pesos now for about one year. The DOP is the only currency I follow that has gained against the dollar in recent times. The
CAD
COP
GBP
EUR
RUB
TRY
THB and KRW have taken noticeable losses against the dollar during the last 12 months. Perhaps this economy is doing better than I thought it was.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I wish I could give you a good answer as I too am looking for the best way to exchange US$ to DR$. I pay with pesos because most of my tenants pay their rent in pesos. If you become a regular customer of an exchange house they offer the best rate and deliver-- they go to your house and bring you the cash to exchange whatever amount you want. I use to do it that way about a decade ago when I was in construction of a rental building but haven't used an exchange house in a long while. If you find a good option please share.
The best exchange rates when exchanging cash have been at my banks but only when exchanging 5000 USD or more.
It has been a long time since I have exchanged smaller amounts of cash.
Preferring to just hit the ATM when I need a little"effectivo" for those type of transactions ;)

But in pinch, I have hit Caribe express because I have never had a good "casa de cambio" in my pocket that I trusted.
I see great rates advertised but they seem to always be in sketchy locations.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Will check. I have the Chase Freedom card. I don't use CC very often. I usually just use my debit card. I should get into the habit of using a credit card for security reasons.
I was told by my bank in the states several years ago when traveling/ living in another country and using an ATM/ Debit Card to always use the same institution (whenever possible) this way if there is ever anytype of problem with transactions or fraud, my bank back in the states will only have to deal with one institution rather than several to get it sorted.

I always use the state bank no matter which country I'm in as they usually have the lowest fees and best exchange rates. I also have a local account with them down here as well.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
No foreign transaction charges.....
Just called chase and my Freedom card also charges a 3% foreign exchange fee. So I asked if I can trade my Freedom card for the Sapphire, she said no but that I could apply for the Sapphire if I wished. She told me that I could probably get approved instantly. I asked how much was the annual fee and was told US$95. I thanked her and said that I'll call her back.

A bit of back of the envelope math tells me I need to spend on the Sapphire card US$3,166.67 in DR per year just to break even instead of using my Chase debit or freedom card, with $0 annual fee and 3% foreign exchange fee. I think I'll pass on the Sapphire card for now and continue using my Freedom card instead of my debit on the rare occasions I do use a card to benefit from account protection. It's not worth it to me at the moment since I hardly used my foreign debit or CC here in DR.

Thanks to all that helped with the great advice and suggestions much appreciated. DR1 is truly a good resource for foreign and domestic research.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The dollar to peso rate has been 54 to 55 pesos now for about one year. The DOP is the only currency I follow that has gained against the dollar in recent times. The
CAD
COP
GBP
EUR
RUB
TRY
THB and KRW have taken noticeable losses against the dollar during the last 12 months. Perhaps this economy is doing better than I thought it was.
key word: perhaps. Never let your guard down.DATS when you get slammed on the blind side.Especially in "wonderland" as you call it

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have 2 Chase Cards. Although they are for specific brands, Amazon and United neither charge foreign transaction fees. Actually, I like the Amazon card since we order a lot from Amazon and the points add up quickly.

Reactions: NotLurking
Jan 9, 2004
Just called chase and my Freedom card also charges a 3% foreign exchange fee. So I asked if I can trade my Freedom card for the Sapphire, she said no but that I could apply for the Sapphire if I wished. She told me that I could probably get approved instantly. I asked how much was the annual fee and was told US$95. I thanked her and said that I'll call her back.

A bit of back of the envelope math tells me I need to spend on the Sapphire card US$3,166.67 in DR per year just to break even instead of using my Chase debit or freedom card, with $0 annual fee and 3% foreign exchange fee. I think I'll pass on the Sapphire card for now and continue using my Freedom card instead of my debit on the rare occasions I do use a card to benefit from account protection. It's not worth it to me at the moment since I hardly used my foreign debit or CC here in DR.

Thanks to all that helped with the great advice and suggestions much appreciated. DR1 is truly a good resource for foreign and domestic research.
NL:

I have the Sapphire card and it is fantastic............even with the $95.00 fee.

If you apply and are approved.............you receive 60,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in the first 90 days. Those bonus points are worth $650+ on travel depending on how you calculate their value. So if you have a purchase(s) you can make totaling $4,000 your in. That is what I did and of course paid it all off to avoid interest charges.

And the perks do not stop there. They will pay your Global Entry fee of $100.00................a must have to avoid long immigration lines these days. And with GE you automatically are enrolled in the Trusted Traveler program............which gets you the shorter security lines at check in. Here is a list of the perks............check to see if it works for you;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
NL:

I have the Sapphire card and it is fantastic............even with the $95.00 fee.

If you apply and are approved.............you receive 60,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in the first 90 days. Those bonus points are worth $650+ on travel depending on how you calculate their value. So if you have a purchase(s) you can make totaling $4,000 your in. That is what I did and of course paid it all off to avoid interest charges.

And the perks do not stop there. They will pay your Global Entry fee of $100.00................a must have to avoid long immigration lines these days. And with GE you automatically are enrolled in the Trusted Traveler program............which gets you the shorter security lines at check in. Here is a list of the perks............check to see if it works for you;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
One correction: The Sapphire Reserve has a $550.00 annual fee..........not $95.00. But they provide a $300.00 annual statement credit for any travel................making this, even at that price worth it for many users.

The Sapphire Preferred is $95.00 per year............but you still get the 60,000 bonus points with your spending.

Here is a head to head comparison;

Either card is a great addition.....depending on your spending habits.....and both have no out of country transaction fees.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2