Was The Bus Speeding?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
do the passengers get a refund?
No refunds and I will not be surprised if the driver is back on the road within a few weeks
driving the exact same way.

Does anyone remember the truck driver who killed several people in a crash back
in 2014? A few weeks later he was captured on video crossing over the median
illegally and blocking the entire street in near La Sirena on Winston Churchill
down in the capital.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Started the turn with excessive speed ( 9 sec in video) . IF the front left were the only problem, (and it may have been low on air) , he then made it worse by over compensating even more by steering Hard Right , and at that already excessive speed he compounded the problem .. A Race Car with super wide tires , and low to the ground can pull off an Inside turn like this with No Problem ... but a Top heavy Bus , on a down grade no less . the physics just do not work . he was doomed at 9 seconds into the video when he started going into the turn .. Steering straight he could have saved it .. Braking and turning , impossible .
Too Bad Gorgon is no longer here .. (so many people have left) .. he could certainly shed light on this even further .

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
This was just stunt for a movie ...! 😅
How it happened that someone sitting at a window at exact same time and filming it and following the bus with his camera, expecting it to flip on it's side...!?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Am I reading the Translation correctly ? the Driver LIED and Said he " Hit a WALL" ( what wall ? ) to avoid Hitting a Truck ?
what an Idiot ..

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Thank you @Nadie21 for the video
One input at a time
If the driver started to brake late, he would have had to let up on the brake, go deep into the turn and then swing wide.
Or give up on the turn right from the get.
It is not a matter of speeding.
It is a matter of momentum.
Newtons First Law of motion.
The bus had too much momentum to make the turn and remain upright.
You can see the laws of physics acting on the bus the moment the driver begins the turn.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
According to the Public Ministry, the driver Franklin Nin was traveling at high speed.
The prosecutor of Verón, Punta Cana, Denis Guerrero, reported that the driver who caused an accident on the Boulevard Turístico del Este highway yesterday morning, leaving three dead and dozens injured, was arrested.

Source: Dominican Today

Reactions: AlaPlaya

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
Thank you @Nadie21 for the video
One input at a time
If the driver started to brake late, he would have had to let up on the brake, go deep into the turn and then swing wide.
Or give up on the turn right from the get.
It is not a matter of speeding.
It is a matter of momentum.
Newtons First Law of motion.
The bus had too much momentum to make the turn and remain upright.
You can see the laws of physics acting on the bus the moment the driver begins the turn.
Momentum is velocity (speed) times mass (size). So given that the bus (large mass) was going too fast (speed) you are correct in the assessment that this is a matter of momentum. But saying that is it not a matter of speeding, I would have to politely disagree with.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Tourist accidents get reported pretty quickly in North America. Have yet to see this appear in the US or Canadian websites
But it will sooner or later

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
This was just stunt for a movie ...! 😅
How it happened that someone sitting at a window at exact same time and filming it and following the bus with his camera, expecting it to flip on it's side...!?
So the authorities that reported that three passengers died, 14 injured which are in the hospital being treated, are all just manikins?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Momentum is velocity (speed) times mass (size). So given that the bus (large mass) was going too fast (speed) you are correct in the assessment that this is a matter of momentum. But saying that is it not a matter of speeding, I would have to politely disagree with.
There is no need to be polite about it.
I was talking physics.
And if we are talking physics then you know speed is not equal to velocity.
Velocity is a vector quantity.
Speed is a scalar quantity and does not keep track of direction.

With that information to work with the bus had too much velocity in the direction it was headed to make the turn safely.
Now if you apply the turn speeding you need to give me the posted speed limit and if there was a posted speed limit on the turn.
As there are for many turns on the roads throughout the Dominican Republic.
So, we are both right depending upon the answer you seek.

One could also apply the following definition:
Speeding - the act of driving a motor vehicle at a higher speed than is safe or legal.
Since the driver could not make the turn in the vehicle in a safe manner you can also say that he was speeding.
So I will stick to my original statement in post #15
And proffer that the question in the thread is imprecisely worded.