Was The Bus Speeding?

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
There is no need to be polite about it.
I was talking physics.
And if we are talking physics then you know speed is not equal to velocity.
Velocity is a vector quantity.
Speed is a scalar quantity and does not keep track of direction.

With that information to work with the bus had too much velocity in the direction it was headed to make the turn safely.
Now if you apply the turn speeding you need to give me the posted speed limit and if there was a posted speed limit on the turn.
As there are for many turns on the roads throughout the Dominican Republic.
So, we are both right depending upon the answer you seek.

One could also apply the following definition:
Speeding - the act of driving a motor vehicle at a higher speed than is safe or legal.
Since the driver could not make the turn in the vehicle in a safe manner you can also say that he was speeding.
So I will stick to my original statement in post #15
And proffer that the question in the thread is imprecisely worded.
Semantics aside, a responsible driver would need to asses all elements of a situation to ensure that the manner of driving is appropriate.

Even though a posted speed limit may be 70KH, in a down pour on wet roads, it obviously would not be safe to travel at that speed.

Through my driver's education and experience, (also my limited knowledge of physics) I know to reduce my speed on curves.

Reactions: Nadie21

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Are we looking at the same video ?
Seems to me the bus intended to go straight on ( and not turn right ).

Maybe he tried to avoid something ? And a split decision or a reflex, was to turn off the " main " road, hence the right hand turn at warp speed.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
Are we looking at the same video ?
Seems to me the bus intended to go straight on ( and not turn right ).

Maybe he tried to avoid something ? And a split decision or a reflex, was to turn off the " main " road, hence the right hand turn at warp speed.
Possibly; but wouldn't witnesses in transit at the time already have been giving that testimony?

Even though imprudence may be at play here; I still feel for the driver. He is being made the example for many things wrong with this country all because this happened to tourists and we all know that salvaging any bad press is the main agenda here.

Reactions: Nadie21

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Possibly; but wouldn't witnesses in transit at the time already have been giving that testimony?

Even though imprudence may be at play here; I still feel for the driver. He is being made the example for many things wrong with this country all because this happened to tourists and we all know that salvaging any bad press is the main agenda here.
Maybe if he was a good driver, but he's not.

Here's a prior video of him having a good time with a group of tourists he was transporting. He's an idiot.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
Maybe if he was a good driver, but he's not.

Here's a prior video of him having a good time with a group of tourists he was transporting. He's an idiot.

So he is an idiot and a bad driver. But are any of these bus (or car) drivers decent? Many acts of imprudence in transit can be witnessed each time I leave my house, even just to go up the street, because it is part of the culture there are no consequences. Does operating a vehicle of that size require training and a special license? Education and a general respect for life are missing.

This country is high in the list for transit deaths per capita but that doesn't seem to phase the minister or transit.

But now that tourists are involved it's a completely different story.

While this event is indeed tragic, fortunately it was not worse. Really it was only a matter of time until something like this occurred. Hopefully it serves as a big wake up call to those in charge.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Semantics aside, a responsible driver would need to asses all elements of a situation to ensure that the manner of driving is appropriate.
No semantics. Physics.
And you will not get any disagreement from me that in all cases if the accident was due to the error of the driver then different actions should have been taken.
Even though a posted speed limit may be 70KH, in a down pour on wet roads, it obviously would not be safe to travel at that speed.

Through my driver's education and experience, (also my limited knowledge of physics) I know to reduce my speed on curves.
The passengers of that bus would have been better off with anyone who controlled the vehicle in a manner that would have avoided this one vehicle accident.

I have a friend who actually drives a bus and we review these accidents together all the time and he tells me all the things he would have done different or how he would have never been in that situation in the first place due to established safety protocols of his organization.

So it would seem that we are in agreement.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
This was just stunt for a movie ...! 😅
How it happened that someone sitting at a window at exact same time and filming it and following the bus with his camera, expecting it to flip on it's side...!?
If people were killed or injured, the stunt certainly went badly wrong. But I agree that it's strange that someone just happened to be following the bus with a camera.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
If people were killed or injured, the stunt certainly went badly wrong. But I agree that it's strange that someone just happened to be following the bus with a camera.
That was filmed on a wide range surveillance camera that was zoomed in on the bus and and then followed it using the camera software.

Reactions: cavok and jd426

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So he is an idiot and a bad driver. But are any of these bus (or car) drivers decent? Many acts of imprudence in transit can be witnessed each time I leave my house, even just to go up the street, because it is part of the culture there are no consequences. Does operating a vehicle of that size require training and a special license? Education and a general respect for life are missing.

This country is high in the list for transit deaths per capita but that doesn't seem to phase the minister or transit.

But now that tourists are involved it's a completely different story.

While this event is indeed tragic, fortunately it was not worse. Really it was only a matter of time until something like this occurred. Hopefully it serves as a big wake up call to those in charge.
It won't and it never will.
A few deaths and a Twitter video will have little to no impact
on their care free culture but it does provide us with a wonderful insight
into the daily life for those of us who use Dominican transportation
services on a regular basis.

Reactions: Auryn

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
That was filmed on a wide range surveillance camera that was zoomed in on the bus and and then followed it using the camera software.
Was gonna say , an Amateur camera would have been very shaky, this was obviously mounted , like on a Building or something .
but did not want to assume.
There are a bunch of News Articles on it, and people died , I dont understand how someone could even remotely think this is fake news ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

47 years old and he still thinks he's a player ?
He's a coke head and I hope Franklin Nin Perez gets 30 years for murdering the 3 who he killed.
Anything less and the DR isn't serious about cleaning up the drugs and protecting tourists.

And the video of him chatting with bus groupies, and looking away while driving, shows he was never properly trained or supervised.
And he's just one of many hundreds aggressive & dangerous bus drivers in DR.
Most countries weed the incompetent out of public transportation but the DR seems to make no attempt to control the motorways
That's why it is the most dangerous country in the friggin' world for traffic fatalities

Reactions: thompstr

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think maybe Thailand had the top spot a couple of years.
Lol, no doubt. I used to rent motorbikes to tourist on
holiday in Pattaya and accidents were common.
It's lovely country for anyone who enjoys being treated
like a second class citizen in a third world country.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Lol, no doubt. I used to rent motorbikes to tourist on
holiday in Pattaya and accidents were common.
It's lovely country for anyone who enjoys being treated
like a second class citizen in a third world country.
You mean something similar to the DR. Two countries competing on the world stage in being worst on traffic, corruption and anything goes mentality.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey