Only a fraction have renewed vehicle tax stickers

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Marbete-2023-APAP-e1670251107809.png

The infamous “marbete” or Tax on Vehicular Circulation is once again upon us. The marbete must be displayed on the windscreen of all vehicles to circulate. And yet, after nearly six weeks, only a fraction of car owners have paid the required tax.

Car drivers caught without the sticker need to pay a hefty fine, and face the removal of the vehicle until the fine is paid.

The costs RD$1,500 for vehicles that are over five years old, and RD$3,000 for newer models.

There are literally hundreds of places to obtain the stickers. Every S&L office, almost every bank branch, and every office of the Tax Agency (DGII) office will provide the service in minutes.

For this marbete renewal period there are 1,684,837 eligible vehicles and an estimated collection of RD$2.73 billion is expected.

But there is more. You can get the sticker online at the dgii.gob.do website, and it will be...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It is an infamous clockwork because at the end of each time period thousands of owners will create long lines at the financial institutions and DGII offices. The media uses the same clockwork as always to publish stories and photos of the ranks going for marbetes. The Dominican culture of nonconformity to rule brings this phenomenon about each year. Just wondering if the government will extend the period. Glad this poster gets his marbete early, hate lines.

Regards,

PJT

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Bought mine the first day online, delivered the next.

They've been delivered by the same messenger guy every year since I started buying them online.

The guy feels almost like family now.

Reactions: Tarheel

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Can't wait to see Digisett handy out post holiday treats in the form of multas for not having a sticker in the window

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My 2 cars are done !!!
Of course I stuck one on the wrong car & had to peel it off - Whew !!
They don't peel so easy. I doubt they ever check the numbers in the sticker, it's just "License, registration and insurance, and puede regalame un refresco senor"

Reactions: bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'll be doing my renewal for the 1st time. My sticker expired last month.

Do I just bring the bank a copy of the "Certificado de Propiedad de Vehiculos de Motor" to the bank?

Or, do I have to bring the original that I got from the car dealer?
copy is fine

Reactions: 2020

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

Do I just bring the bank a copy of the "Certificado de Propiedad de Vehiculos de Motor" to the bank?

All they need is a copy of the matricula.

Reactions: 2020

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

I think stickers don't expire until the end of the year and are valid through mid January under grace period

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
It is an infamous clockwork because at the end of each time period thousands of owners will create long lines at the financial institutions and DGII offices. The media uses the same clockwork as always to publish stories and photos of the ranks going for marbetes. The Dominican culture of nonconformity to rule brings this phenomenon about each year. Just wondering if the government will extend the period. Glad this poster gets his marbete early, hate lines.

Regards,

PJT
Thats not a Dominican thing. I remember in Ontario canada when plate renewals were the end of February, always long lines near the end of the month.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Regards,

PJT
Almost every single bill in this country has a late fee attached to it now if paid late.
Dominicans are now being forced to conform or pay out of pocket. The old ways of doing things and the laxed attitude towards life down here are starting to become a thing of the past.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I understand the government rationale for charging higher fees for newer vehicles - because they can soak the rich, a common theme worldwide, and all countries charge newer cars more becuase they think wealthier people will just pay.

But doesn't it stand to reason that newer cars are more likely to have insurance, valid registrations, certainly consume less fuel than same class of older vehicle, as well as be cleaner burning ...and obviously will leak much less (if any) oil.
Plus brakes will be better, newer suspensions and tires newer & better aligned - all things which have less impact to deteriorate road surfaces

So in reality an older car has a worse impact on the roads and environment and really should not get a governmental break..

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I got mine last week at Assoc. Nacional on my way to Playero. In and out in less than 5 minutes. I put those stickers on very lightly or they are hard to get off. Of course, many Dominicans like to have their window plastered with marbetes from the previous 10 years.

Reactions: Kipling333

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I got mine last week at Assoc. Nacional on my way to Playero. In and out in less than 5 minutes. I put those stickers on very lightly or they are hard to get off. Of course, many Dominicans like to have their window plastered with marbetes from the previous 10 years.

You mean it’s not a law to keep them there forever????? 😊

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
If you have the material on the window to reduce the sun glare these marbetes are very difficult to remove without damaging the window. And I have been told there is no other legal way to display them except stuck fast onto the window.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
If you have the material on the window to reduce the sun glare these marbetes are very difficult to remove without damaging the window. And I have been told there is no other legal way to display them except stuck fast onto the window.
First peel off the "easy" part and then "soak" the rest in WD40 for a couple of minutes (WD40 on a paper towel or cloth) should come off quite easy, even from the tint material (which btw is not allowed on the windshield...;))

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I only have tint on maybe the top 8" of the windshield and I put the sticker on the glass right below that. It's hard enough to see at night with the generally poor street lighting and all the oncoming idiots that refuse to dim their brights. I can't imagine tinting the entire front windshield, even with a high transmissibility tint.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
First peel off the "easy" part and then "soak" the rest in WD40 for a couple of minutes (WD40 on a paper towel or cloth) should come off quite easy, even from the tint material (which btw is not allowed on the windshield...;))
I've gone through many road checkpoints, even stopped a couple times, but have never had a problem with the partial tint at the top of my windshield. Almost all public taxis and guaguas have that.