Cangrejos Bridge Has New Damage

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I think the biggest issue is all the idiots trying to pass on the bypass, parked cars and trucks in montellano don't help also some of the heavy trucks going up the steep hills can really slow things down.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
For those of you not following the news, this morning one of those heavy trucks broke down on that steep hill. So on that part only 1 lane. I past it today as I live in Sosúa but my kids go to school in Montellano. Waited 10 minutes in La Base to turn around and went another way instead out on a dirt road, up through the mountains and passed the entire alternative route, took 50 minutes, instead of having to wait 2 hours in that queue. On the way back I took the alternate route, only about 1.5 hours......... LOVING THIS!!
But yeah also stupid drivers trying to overtake and instead of having 1 line there are 3 or even 4.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
We went to POP leaving sosua about 8:30 am and got to the Bypass just around 9. took 25 minutes to get to the other side. On the way back starting from Jumbo at 10:30 it took just under 2 HOURS to get round the Bypass. Arrived in Sosua at 13:20 so nearly THREE HOURS to return, Complete gridlock and chaotic! So my comment is DO NOT GO !

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We went to POP leaving sosua about 8:30 am and got to the Bypass just around 9. took 25 minutes to get to the other side. On the way back starting from Jumbo at 10:30 it took just under 2 HOURS to get round the Bypass. Arrived in Sosua at 13:20 so nearly THREE HOURS to return, Complete gridlock and chaotic! So my comment is DO NOT GO !

Apparently there was such a traffic jam yesterday that one couple decide to pass the time having sex in their Blue Ford Escape ( with a 'Dios es Amor' sticker on the rear glass hatch)
There was a video going round that I saw on a friend's phone last night and the Escape was rocking pretty good.
Pretty certain it was not one of us old geezers on DR1 - none of us could contort ourselves in the front of a Ford Escape to enjoy the 2nd 'pause the refreshes'

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
So tourists that arrive via PP's airport and stay in Playa Dorada/Cofresí/etc will have to be taken through the detour which further adds to their time on the road?

This can't be good for tourism. It probably works as an incentive to finish the replacement bridge asap.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
So tourists that arrive via PP's airport and stay in Playa Dorada/Cofresí/etc will have to be taken through the detour which further adds to their time on the road?

This can't be good for tourism. It probably works as an incentive to finish the replacement bridge asap.
What a pain in the aarrrrrsss! Pres Abinader & Minister Collado should visit the bridge. It may bring some incentive to all those involved to get the bridge job done. Why should the tourists and locals suffer this inconvenience?

Regards,

PJT

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
What a pain in the aarrrrrsss! Pres Abinader & Minister Collado should visit the bridge. It may bring some incentive to all those involved to get the bridge job done. Why should the tourists and locals suffer this inconvenience?

Regards,

PJT
I'm sure the both of them are thinking they will not have to visit Sosua again until the beach construction is completed in several years. This will certainly be enough time for a new bridge to be completed, one would think 🤔

Photo from today......

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 137

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think one of Abinader's sister still lives in Sea Horse Ranch between Sosúa and Cabarete.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018

Ts been that way since detour was finished, and they blocked trucks and tourists bus from crossing.
First time I heard about it , was when bus was loaded, and tour operator told us about detour and said it'll be about half hour longer, but our bus driver was a f1 driver...lol

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Apparently it happen again, another truck stuck at the detour road which is causing traffic jams. So twice in 4 days, these are going to be a fun couple of months 😂

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I went tp puerto plata this morning and it took me one hour and 15 minutes. From el batey to jumbo. The broke down tractor trailer was sosua bound and broke down at the bottom of the very steep hill coming up to enter cangrejos. Amet was stopping traffic in one direction to let traffic through and alternating. Coming back at 5 pm it was all cleared up and traffic was moving smoothly through the detour and took about 45 minutes, so an extra 15 minutes for the trip.

Reactions: Auryn and cavok

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I heard someone took another route - almost a dirt track and out of the way, but that went from Cangrejo to Montellano. It's not on WAZE or Google maps. Anyone know where this is ? Where it starts, where it comes out and how bad is it ?

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I heard someone took another route - almost a dirt track and out of the way, but that went from Cangrejo to Montellano. It's not on WAZE or Google maps. Anyone know where this is ? Where it starts, where it comes out and how bad is it ?
There is a way from Los Castillos to the other side of Montellano. It is dirt, in very poor condition, and takes at least 90 minutes. It is 4x4 country, not reccomended for sedans. If you look on Google Earth, you can see the road.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
There is a way from Los Castillos to the other side of Montellano. It is dirt, in very poor condition, and takes at least 90 minutes. It is 4x4 country, not reccomended for sedans. If you look on Google Earth, you can see the road.
It actually only took around 50 when I took it this past Wednesday, and I have a Kia. But I would not recommend it for someone who cares about their sedan 😅

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
It actually only took around 50 when I took it this past Wednesday, and I have a Kia. But I would not recommend it for someone who cares about their sedan 😅
I guess that there is more than one way through the campo. I went in through Madre Vieja and came out through Arroyo de Leche. But I was just exploring, a couple of years ago, not seeking a bypass.

Reactions: bachata