Tipping etiquette in Santo Domingo

rey

Jan 2, 2007
2 questions :

Can y’all tell me what will be considered a good tip for some of this following services

; Also what’s its the the deal with the “10% LEY” that I keep seeing on my Bills / cuentas when I go out to eat or drinking or clubs ? IF they are adding 10% de Ley that to me seems like it’s the INCLUDED TIP (gratutiy ) , am I expected to leave more tip on top of the 10%

Maid
Mechanic
Doorman
Barber
Waiter restaurant
Waiter discoteca 🕺
Bartender
Taxi
Delivery boy
Manicurist / pedicure lady
Security at Nightclub

Feel free to add any other careers / Jobs / to the list

Thanks

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
For somebody who's been in DR for a while you sure are uninformed about pretty much everything.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

rey

Jan 2, 2007
For somebody who's been in DR for a while you sure are uninformed about pretty much everything.

FF1 we gonna need you to maintain a high level of respect at all times to ALL threads that are posted in DR1 …. NOW proceed with an input/reply that it’s informative and helpful and respectful to this thread OR just don’t post anything and keep on strolling …. ARE WE CLEAR PRIVATE ?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I always remember that most of the people I tip need the $ more than I do. I tip my barber 50% (gasp). That means he gets 300 pesos total. I can live with $5.50 haircuts.

Restaurant are around 15 - 20%. No hard and fast rules and not dependent on service quality. Same with delivery which is extremely rare for us. Neither of our legs are broken. Bottled water is the exception and that's around 25%.

The only other is Uber. They are generally 25-50% as their pay sucks. However, if they force me to cancel for a higher price, then the tip is 0. That's about it for me on the list.

rey

Jan 2, 2007
I always remember that most of the people I tip need the $ more than I do. I tip my barber 50% (gasp). That means he gets 300 pesos total. I can live with $5.50 haircuts.

Restaurant are around 15 - 20%. No hard and fast rules and not dependent on service quality. Same with delivery which is extremely rare for us. Neither of our legs are broken. Bottled water is the exception and that's around 25%.

The only other is Uber. They are generally 25-50% as their pay sucks. However, if they force me to cancel for a higher price, then the tip is 0. That's about it for me on the list.

Great answer

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
FF1 we gonna need you to maintain a high level of respect at all times to ALL threads that are posted in DR1 …. NOW proceed with an input/reply that it’s informative and helpful and respectful to this thread OR just don’t post anything and keep on strolling …. ARE WE CLEAR PRIVATE ?
A guy's been in DR for years and doesn't know how much to tip, doesn't know is it safe to walk at night, doesn't know anything. You must be a quick learner aren't you? 😁

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
Ok I just realized I can "Ignore" you and not see any more of your attention seeking threads asking questions any 10 year old knows the answer to. Bye.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002

Tone it down immediately

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Where does this guy get off?
Is he for real?
Geez.
He seems to think that his itshay doesn't inkstay.
The sanctimony drips from every word.

Reactions: Farmer

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
People whom I employ are paid above average. When I go to a restaurant I tip another 10% if the service is good. As far as barber, I wish they would just charge me what they feel their haircut is worth. They are in control.
In the past, I always tipped the workers at grocery stores and fereterias. I am beginning to question this. These large stores charge the same prices or more than the US while buying super cheap garbage from China, and employ people for next to nothing per month. Their profit margins must be huge. I feel bad for the guys making next to nothing, but why must I subsidize their wages? It is time for Superpola and other large companies to start paying these people a livable a wage.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I know I tip less here than I do in US, esp NY, but everyone I deal with seems to think I am generous.

I don't like the tip jar at the copy center or at the health clinic. But I still always put something in the jar.
People whom I employ are paid above average. When I go to a restaurant I tip another 10% if the service is good. As far as barber, I wish they would just charge me what they feel their haircut is worth. They are in control.
In the past, I always tipped the workers at grocery stores and fereterias. I am beginning to question this. These large stores charge the same prices or more than the US while buying super cheap garbage from China, and employ people for next to nothing per month. Their profit margins must be huge. I feel bad for the guys making next to nothing, but why must I subsidize their wages? It is time for Superpola and other large companies to start paying these people a livable a wage.
I have for years given Navidad to my non-salaried ama de llaves, as well as to my most confianza concho drivers. They provide me with services I need and appreciate. Hence, their services need to be rewarded. I also give---if not $$---then a little something (bottles of rum/cervezas) on Dominican holidays or special family occasions. I make it clear I am not a money tree, but I want to recognize their excellent work in making my life here so comfortable.

Reactions: westcan