What does a citizen of Haiti need to be "legal" in the DR

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
In DR I believe it’s often a substitute for “I”. When I work with vital records, spellings switch back and forth between documents. Ysabel/Isabel, Ysidro/Isidro, Ynes/Ines, etc.
Or substitute for J; Yennifer and Yanet for instance.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In DR I believe it’s often a substitute for “I”. When I work with vital records, spellings switch back and forth between documents. Ysabel/Isabel, Ysidro/Isidro, Ynes/Ines, etc.
Yep and this probably goes way back since before the DR was the DR (and even Haiti - this is the Haiti forum afterall.) Everyone should know that when Puerto Plata was founded it was under the rule of King Ferninand and Queen Isabela. Several Dominican cities were the first to get a coat of arms in 1508 of all the cities in the Americas. Even the island got a coat of arms before any other place this side of the world. The thing about Puerto Plata is that the coat if arms is on the facade of City Hall in the center of town (not to mention the city's flag is nothing more than the coat of arms on a white background.) The coat of arms is the original with no modifications.

Notice something?

62872E53-27F0-451C-8333-7C6983FB35C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: cavok and AlterEgo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Yohanna, Yanibel, Yaritza, Yarlin ,Yaniri, Yisenia, Yosmairy, Yokari, Yakaira, Yerling, Yerolyn...etc, and of course my wife YRIS.
Yenigaurencia is the one I put through medical school. Gaudy for short. I often wonder how she is doing.

Reactions: bob saunders

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
My gardenter is Haitian every 30 days he goes back to get 30 day visa work stamped and even though he is not Dominican and has no cedula 2 yrs ago got a Dominican driver’s license legal…
carefull with borrowing him your car ! His DR Driving licence is definately a fake !!! NO Cedula No Driving Licence !!!! No Driving Licence No Insurance !!!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
carefull with borrowing him your car ! His DR Driving licence is definately a fake !!! NO Cedula No Driving Licence !!!! No Driving Licence No Insurance !!!!
The driving license number is usually your cedula number. It would be interesting to plug that number into the government database and see what name comes up.

Reactions: aarhus and Manuel01

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
No driving licence - no Insurance ???? Nope .

This has been discussed here ad nauseam. Lots of folks have insurance ( and have been covered/reimbursed ) with no DR drivers licence.

BTW - this has nothing to do with Haitians and being legal here. Maybe we can get back on topic ????

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
No driving licence - no Insurance ???? Nope .

This has been discussed here ad nauseam. Lots of folks have insurance ( and have been covered/reimbursed ) with no DR drivers licence.

BTW - this has nothing to do with Haitians and being legal here. Maybe we can get back on topic ????
Sorry but if you are here more than 90 days and have no cedula than you are driving without Insurance !

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sorry but if you are here more than 90 days and have no cedula than you are driving without Insurance !
TOTAL BS. I know people living here for 30 years on a Tourist Visa. They have cars, have had accidents and have been covered by insurance. And I will give you a perfect example of one of our own on DR1. CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC Cris Colon lived here for 30 years sadly passed away a few years ago. He lived on a tourist Visa, drove a car, had insurance, even worked in a hospital here.]

You have NO clue what you are talking about.............And by the way I do not have a horse in the race myself. I have been a Dominican citizen for close to 20 years.............

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
The driving license number is usually your cedula number. It would be interesting to plug that number into the government database and see what name comes up.
Agreed no cedilla no lic. is what is rule ..but couple yrs ago they where giving to Haitians drivers lic with work visa and police check ,drivers license legal ones ..they stopped program but his is still legal valid , city hall in Sosua did it..

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
TOTAL BS. I know people living here for 30 years on a Tourist Visa. They have cars, have had accidents and have been covered by insurance. And I will give you a perfect example of one of our own on DR1. CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC Cris Colon lived here for 30 years sadly passed away a few years ago. He lived on a tourist Visa, drove a car, had insurance, even worked in a hospital here.]

You have NO clue what you are talking about.............And by the way I do not have a horse in the race myself. I have been a Dominican citizen for close to 20 years.............
Wouldn’t the most important part be that they can identify the person being the insured. And the passport an American or European is probably better for that anyway than a Dominican Cedula/ID. I see less and less value in the Dominican residency.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I am sure Randy ie CC played a little loose with the truth. He was legally married to a Dominican, had property, children, worked...etc. I am sure he didnt just have a tourist Visa.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I am sure Randy ie CC played a little loose with the truth. He was legally married to a Dominican, had property, children, worked...etc. I am sure he didnt just have a tourist Visa.
I would think you can do all that without having to get residency papers.

Reactions: SKY

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you met him you would know he would not spend 10 minutes applying for anything like this........And you can legally get married as a tourist, and you also know that anyone alive with money can own property here................And for sure you DO NOT need Residency to have children here. Just the right equipment............

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you met him you would know he would not spend 10 minutes applying for anything like this........And you can legally get married as a tourist, and you also know that anyone alive with money can own property here................
Met him several times, and had a number of private conversations with him.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Well - as I understand it - the visa is attached inside the passport - so you would need both. And of course the monthly renewal which is also stamped in the passport.
Update : my gardener received his work "visa" from Migracion in Santo Domingo. It is a card almost the same as my Temporary Residency card, except the title is PERMISO TEMPORAL DE TRABAJO (TT-1). It is valid for one year. So the visa inside a Haitian passport I described above was for a visitor, requiring monthly payments in Dajabon. Gardener has been stopped a couple of times already and got waved on in about 2 minutes.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Why does he have to go to Haiti to renew his passport? My friend took his Haitian girlfriend to the Haitian consulate in Santiago to renew hers.
It seems you are right. He made some enquiries with a pastor, who seems to be the fount of all Haitian knowledge, and he agreed that you can renew a Haitian passport in Santiago but not always. For example, they are not doing it now but they are supposedly going to start again sometime next month. The better news is that they will also be doing a couple of visits to Sosua (which is nearer to him) before that. They are supposedly making two visits of a couple of days each and his pastor will let him know when. What worries him is that he knows a lot of Haitians with expired passports and he doesn't know how they will get them all done.

Apparently the cost will be $200, courtesy of a loan from yours truly.

Reactions: JD Jones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It seems you are right. He made some enquiries with a pastor, who seems to be the fount of all Haitian knowledge, and he agreed that you can renew a Haitian passport in Santiago but not always. For example, they are not doing it now but they are supposedly going to start again sometime next month. The better news is that they will also be doing a couple of visits to Sosua (which is nearer to him) before that. They are supposedly making two visits of a couple of days each and his pastor will let him know when. What worries him is that he knows a lot of Haitians with expired passports and he doesn't know how they will get them all done.

Apparently the cost will be $200, courtesy of a loan from yours truly.

Ouch. Pricey.