recommendation suv or small pick up truck

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Why would manufacturers allow this, unless it's a way to sell more SW?
It is not necessarily the equipment, but it is the software uploaded to a laptop or other handheld device. I have used it multiple times. It is invaluable if you are a buyer or have a client who buys lots of vehicles, as is my case.

I was amazed at how quickly it can scan and detect. It became invaluable, in a way you might not think of, when one of my clients was purchasing a package of 100+/- fleet cars used by sales people from a major company. What they found was a percentage of those vehicles were actually showing up with less miles in the ECU/ECM/BCM than shown on the odometer! After subsequent further investigations, it turns out the sales people, who also got a per mileage stipend, were actually increasing the mileage so as to claim a higher stipend. So mileage fraud can go both ways.

Note that dealers must buy a software package from each manufacturer in order to have the codes to access mileage stored in various other places besides the odometer. Different manufacturers store it in different places i.e., the ECU, BCM, ECM.

Purportedly, Bosch has come out with just such a tool (KTS-250), but I question its long term abilities as manufacturers change codes almost on an annual basis.......which of course keeps dealers buying the updates.

Changing the odometer mileage, a fairly simple process, does not alter it in the various other stored places on a vehicle.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Where did you get access to this software and how did you connect it to the car from a laptop ?
What was the name of of the software ?
I would like to research it and see if is it is available for download

Jan 9, 2004
Where did you get access to this software and how did you connect it to the car from a laptop ?
What was the name of of the software ?
I would like to research it and see if is it is available for download
The software comes from the individual manufacturers. My clients have annual subscriptions. They are expensive. Depending on manufacturer they can run $750-$1500 per. I am not sure if my clients purchase through a third party supplier or direct from the manufacturer. I can check on Monday with them.

In the mean time you can search Bosch KTS-250 and read their specs as to what their device can/cannot do.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The software comes from the individual manufacturers. My clients have annual subscriptions. They are expensive. Depending on manufacturer they can run $750-$1500 per. I am not sure if my clients purchase through a third party supplier or direct from the manufacturer. I can check on Monday with them.

In the mean time you can search Bosch KTS-250 and read their specs as to what their device can/cannot do.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I did that and saw nothing in product information on the website that mentioned that function

Jan 9, 2004
I did that and saw nothing in product information on the website that mentioned that function

While my experience is with OEM software, more and more of these devices are showing up in the after-market arena.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've got a Bosch 1300 that reads both OBDl and OBDll vehicles. So far I've only used it on my older OBDl trucks.

Jan 9, 2004
I've got a Bosch 1300 that reads both OBDl and OBDll vehicles. So far I've only used it on my older OBDl trucks.
It is fine to help with certain diagnostics, but to read mileage in the resident memory from the ECU/BCM/ECM you would need one more sophisticated and thus more expensive than a Bosch 1300.

The technology is changing rapidly and like most electronics that come to market, prices tend to drop over time. This new technology(ability to read resident memory) has been around for about 10 years, but up till now it was too expensive to be adopted for general public use.

It will be a game changer for those looking to buy in the DR and lots of other countries. No need to solely rely on Autocheck/CarFax.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
UPDATE --- looking at new, still trying to find who's parts are available???? going to look at a ram 1000 this week. Did speak with Mike ....

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
UPDATE --- looking at new, still trying to find who's parts are available???? going to look at a ram 1000 this week. Did speak with Mike ....
As an aside, parts for American vehicles are abundant on websites like Rockauto.com.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Stick to makes and models that are abundant in the DR. It is the availability of parts of abundant standard model vehicles in the DR that makes life less stressful. In the campo it is easier to find needed parts for them. No having to wait days for parts coming from the big cities, In this country, 4x4 and high chassis are recommended.

Regards,

PJT.

Jan 9, 2004
If a new RAM 1000, then Compania & Reed in Santo Domingo is the authorized dealer.

Note the RAM 1000 is an offshore truck, i.e., it is not sold in the US market.....it is primarily sold in Latin America...............so parts availability in the US may be limited.

Good luck with your search.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Instead of a Ram look at a Tacoma or Frontier. You can drive either of this 150,000 miles just change fluids, one battery and maybe a new set of brakes and don't worry about needing parts for 10 years.

Jan 9, 2004
Instead of a Ram look at a Tacoma or Frontier. You can drive either of this 150,000 miles just change fluids, one battery and maybe a new set of brakes and don't worry about needing parts for 10 years.
With proper care and maintenance...................they should both last into the 200,000 mile category easily. As to batteries, I have never gotten beyond three years in the DR before needing a replacement.

Of course buying new does not give you a history as to problem areas that may eventually occur, but both models have been overall exceptional..........with only a few of the older years to avoid.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Toyota Rav 4, Honda CRV but both are the most sought after therefore higher prices.

But Caveat Emptor if you can't afford new, because they dress up high mileage wrecks here to make them look like diamonds
Expensive like hell, I have a 2003 Honda CR-V here in US, I was shocked when I saw how worth they are in DR $480.K asking prize for one in worse shape than mine in Santiago.

JJ

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Expensive like hell, I have a 2003 Honda CR-V here in US, I was shocked when I saw how worth they are in DR $480.K asking prize for one in worse shape than mine in Santiago.

JJ
Just a note. Used vehicles shipped from the US have pollution controls bells and whistles. Should a vehicle once here show an engine warning on the dash those parts needed may or may not be available. Bad sensors that control the fuel mix for anti pollution measures if not replaced when needed will cause greater consumption of fuel. The CR-V would fall into the category. Good luck finding sensors in the US to ship to the DR for the 2003 model. Some may have been discontinued, out of stock. Secondary market may be the only bet, if any.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: bachata

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I love my 90's trucks and my 2008 diesel Prado

Jan 9, 2004
Just a note. Used vehicles shipped from the US have pollution controls bells and whistles. Should a vehicle once here show an engine warning on the dash those parts needed may or may not be available. Bad sensors that control the fuel mix for anti pollution measures if not replaced when needed will cause greater consumption of fuel. The CR-V would fall into the category. Good luck finding sensors in the US to ship to the DR for the 2003 model. Some may have been discontinued, out of stock. Secondary market may be the only bet, if any.

Regards,

PJT
Not to worry. Honda parts are and will be available for many years to come...........particularly parts involving pollution control systems.

And Honda like so many other manufacturers source their "original" parts from different suppliers. Sensors for Honda's are supplied by Bosch/NTK/NGK/Denso.

FYI, The CRV is currently the best selling Honda in the world.........over taking the Civic.

Now if we were talking about a 2003 Yugo..................that might be a different story altogether.......

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Not to worry. Honda parts are and will be available for many years to come...........particularly parts involving pollution control systems.

And Honda like so many other manufacturers source their "original" parts from different suppliers. Sensors for Honda's are supplied by Bosch/NTK/NGK/Denso.

FYI, The CRV is currently the best selling Honda in the world.........over taking the Civic.

Now if we were talking about a 2003 Yugo..................that might be a different story altogether.......

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Just thinking about people who may let's say import an older Fiat or like you say a Yugo, from the USA as to what they may be up against finding parts and services in the DR.

Regards,

PJT

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
If a new RAM 1000, then Compania & Reed in Santo Domingo is the authorized dealer.

Note the RAM 1000 is an offshore truck, i.e., it is not sold in the US market.....it is primarily sold in Latin America...............so parts availability in the US may be limited.

Good luck with your search.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
any idea if parts are availability here in DR ?????