Sosúa Beach Renovations

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You weren't the only one, so did all the beach vendors. They should have at least realized that there was no way all of them would have spaces in those plazas.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Who exactly is that Demographic, and are they going to be Rolling COOLERS with Food and drink onto the Sand ? or Walk half a Mile + just to get some Water to drink... 2 Plazas was ALMOST conceivable , One Plaza ???? they lied lied lied ..
who the F actually knows what they are up to at this point ? ... ( not directed at you or anyone here , just saying)
I thought the demographic was that guy in the video who was stranded when he missed his flight and is down to his last $15.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I thought the demographic was that guy in the video who was stranded when he missed his flight and is down to his last $15.

No, this time I was actually asking who would want to walk that far for a Drink ror even worse yet to use a Bathroom ? ...
Sorry if I was unclear .. was not poking fun at that dude again, he has enough shame in his Life right now

I meant , what possible TOURIST are they targeting who would be willing to put up with such inconvenience, especially if they have KIDS with them.
IMO it is getting very obvious that they have NO intentions to make it comfortable for any of us , they want to steal the whole Beach, ( again my opinion)
1 Plaza just does not work on that Long stretch of Beach .

Reactions: drstock and cavok

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
No, this time I was actually asking who would want to walk that far for a Drink ror even worse yet to use a Bathroom ? ...
Sorry if I was unclear .. was not poking fun at that dude again, he has enough shame in his Life right now

I meant , what possible TOURIST are they targeting who would be willing to put up with such inconvenience, especially if they have KIDS with them.
IMO it is getting very obvious that they have NO intentions to make it comfortable for any of us , they want to steal the whole Beach, ( again my opinion)
1 Plaza just does not work on that Long stretch of Beach .

I will be surprised if there are any plazas by the end of this thing. It will be condo beach front with blocked access by the end of the whole thing.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I'd be happy if they'd just make them rotate days. One for them and the flies they attract, then one for the folks who enjoy a good breakfast without having to listen to a bunch of muppets at the next table talking about lastnight's conquest. I think it would be a fantastic solution.
Those girls looked at me over the shoulders most of the time I went to buy fast food on Pedro Clisante St.
Some of them has superiority hips, I can tell you that.

JJ

• Haha
Reactions: CristoRey

DannyMalibu

Jun 13, 2022
Sosua
FYI, Playa Sosua will be closed today. The Beach Association has decided that all of the members should forfeit a day of revenue ( during high season ) to have yet another march. 3pm Dominican time - traffic should be fun later. Video will be posted on W&R tomorrow

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey and cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
FYI, Playa Sosua will be closed today. The Beach Association has decided that all of the members should forfeit a day of revenue ( during high season ) to have yet another march. 3pm Dominican time - traffic should be fun later. Video will be posted on W&R tomorrow
Stupid is as stupid does.

I recall the first time we met and you told me you believed another vendor that had been there for "years" that nothing would ever change on Sosua beach. It was all talk and nothing would ever happen even after Abinader was in Sosua to accept the donated parcels of land for the plazas and the Minster of Tourism published the details of the project.

Speed, on the other hand in getting the project done, is obviously not of the essence.

How many Beach Business Owner Emergency Meetings/Marches later has this been now?
How goes the work on the first plaza? Are they working on the walls yet?

And, are the vendors at least coming to the realization there is no way virtually any of them outside of a token few will have "places" in the new plaza(s), be it 1, 2 or 3 plazas with special financing deals for all?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Stupid is as stupid does.

I recall the first time we met and you told me you believed another vendor that had been there for "years" that nothing would ever change on Sosua beach. It was all talk and nothing would ever happen even after Abinader was in Sosua to accept the donated parcels of land for the plazas and the Minster of Tourism published the details of the project.

Speed, on the other hand in getting the project done, is obviously not of the essence.

How many Beach Business Owner Emergency Meetings/Marches later has this been now?
How goes the work on the first plaza? Are they working on the walls yet?

And, are the vendors at least coming to the realization there is no way virtually any of them outside of a token few will have "places" in the new plaza(s), be it 1, 2 or 3 plazas with special financing deals for all?

I fail to understand why it is stupid to make an attempt to save ones livelihood.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will be surprised if there are any plazas by the end of this thing. It will be condo beach front with blocked access by the end of the whole thing.
How many plazas remains to be seen. It looks like 1 so far with very slow progress.

What the owners of the land do on the hill up from the beach beyond the 60 meter public access is up to them and the approvals possible.

Remember the fiasco at Encuentro where people from the US with a development company tried to block access to the surf beach? It ended up with the illegally squatting beach front businesses being removed from the 60 meter public area, a few businesses still remain behind the 60 meter mark, and there is a parking spot for surfers to enjoy the sport. It worked out as well as it could have. I hear no complaints about how that turned out from the general public and surfers. It looks much better than before.

Likewise, I do not ever expect public access to Sosua beach to be blocked. I do expect many fewer vendors to work on Sosua Beach in the future.
But then I am only 99% sure of those two things.

Danny mentioned watch out for the traffic today in Sosua. Any tire burning going to happen in the streets?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I fail to understand why it is stupid to make an attempt to save ones livelihood.
The beach owners have limited days left to work. The hand writing is on the wall that they will be gone They have no chance to save their livelihoods. Zero chance. Yet they take days off in peak season and earn nothing those days.

Danny is a beach business owner there and realizes this, clearly stating the same thing about losing money for protests in his WR YouTube Videos. Even in his last post he indicates this very point.

That said, I don't like the way this is being handled by the government.

Reactions: CristoRey

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The beach owners have limited days left to work. The hand writing is on the wall that they will be gone They have no chance to save their livelihoods. Zero chance. Yet they take days off in peak season and earn nothing those days.

Danny is a beach business owner there and realizes this, clearly stating the same thing about losing money for protests in his WR YouTube Videos. Even in his last post he indicates this very point.

That said, I don't like the way this is being handled by the government.
I am sure they understand how the DR government has a history of not following through on proposed projects. Many have their whole lives invested into their business. I don't think it is stupid to fight it until the bitter end. You think they should just fold to the government's will like lemmings? I certainly don't.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I remember when the government of president Balaguer a lot of conflicts about this matter, owner been evicted because new construction projects.
Example; in Santiago City during government building "El Huacalito" owner was almost evicted because they didn't want to sell the land.

Utilidad Pública, the president has the power to take over a private property if the owner don't want to sell.

JJ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I remember when the government of president Balaguer a lot of conflicts about this matter, owner been evicted because new construction projects.
Example; in Santiago City during government building "El Huacalito" owner was almost evicted because they didn't want to sell the land.

Utilidad Pública, the president has the power to take over a private property if the owner don't want to sell.

JJ

True. Mr AE’s grandparents owned a farm in Santo Domingo for generations. It extended from Avenida Lincoln and malecon to Coca Cola factory. It’s now “La Feria”, Centro de Los Heroes, the children’s hospital, O&M University, etc. It wasn’t “sold”, Trujillo “appropriated” it. It may still be in their names. 🤷🏻‍♀️

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

JJ
Similar to eminent domain in the US.

Reactions: bachata

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I hear Sosua is nothing like it used to be. Once all the beach bars are gone and there's no place for the mongers to hang and the chicas to troll, it will be much like any other Dominican town.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I hear Sosua is nothing like it used to be. Once all the beach bars are gone and there's no place for the mongers to hang and the chicas to troll, it will be much like any other Dominican town.
FYI the entire town is alive and well with chicas and the customers.

Reactions: drstock