RATS RATS

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Rats rats and more rats. We are surrounded by fields on 3 sides. I buy those sticky pads and catch at least one or 2 a week. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of them in the fields ???????

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Bananas in those heavy metal traps, away from dogs and cat's noses.
Don't stop till you kill at least 5 - the whole family will fall for bananas - I caught one so big once he drug the heavy trap 10' - had to put him in a 5 gallon bucket with the trap to sink him and fill it to the top because he stood on his hind legs.

But if you live within 300 yards of a Dominican home - they throw their Styrofoam dinners in the streets and it becomes an All-You-Can-Eat-Rat-Buffet, but then they branch out

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Rats rats and more rats. We are surrounded by fields on 3 sides. I buy those sticky pads and catch at least one or 2 a week. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of them in the fields ???????
516Rxj-tXRL._AC_SL1417_.jpg

If you're feeling cruel, fill it half full with water and they'll drown.

• Haha
Reactions: Big

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I noticed that the 10+ turkeys maybe keeping the rats away from the house now

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Bananas in those heavy metal traps, away from dogs and cat's noses.
Don't stop till you kill at least 5 - the whole family will fall for bananas - I caught one so big once he drug the heavy trap 10' - had to put him in a 5 gallon bucket with the trap to sink him and fill it to the top because he stood on his hind legs.

But if you live within 300 yards of a Dominican home - they throw their Styrofoam dinners in the streets and it becomes an All-You-Can-Eat-Rat-Buffet, but then they branch out
lmao .. DR needs to teach manners and respect of the homeland in the schools because their parents aren't

Aug 21, 2007
We are also surrounded on three sides by fields with animals. Rats have been a problem for us, too. We put poison just on the other side of our fence and wall - where the dogs cannot get it. And inside the fence, we put traps with salami. Lately, we have not caught any rats, but they seem to come in waves. When we do catch them, the maid puts the trap in a bucket of water.

Never had a big one, though. They are all the size of a mouse.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We are also surrounded on three sides by fields with animals. Rats have been a problem for us, too. We put poison just on the other side of our fence and wall - where the dogs cannot get it. And inside the fence, we put traps with salami. Lately, we have not caught any rats, but they seem to come in waves. When we do catch them, the maid puts the trap in a bucket of water.

Never had a big one, though. They are all the size of a mouse.

The same thing the bucket adaptor I posted functions. I had one on the farm and had to empty it daily.

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
A cat will help too if you can’t train the mongoose

A cat I had ways back used to bring the rats ( well more like mice, as AE said ) back to the house, peel off their skin and lay them out in a cross ..... 😑😑. Yes, the cat was in need of exorcising. 😆.

Dogs are good at catching rats, though the chase can and will ruin flower beds and such.

This year rats/mice are few and far between, even though I am surrounded by fields/jungle.
When they are a problem,
what we do is stuff salami and/or rice with those red or blue pellets and put them in the conuco and fields---- dont forget to keep the dogs from going out, we keep them in the garden for 2 days.

Reactions: janlindy

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A cat I had ways back used to bring the rats ( well more like mice, as AE said ) back to the house, peel off their skin and lay them out in a cross ..... 😑😑. Yes, the cat was in need of exorcising. 😆.

Dogs are good at catching rats, though the chase can and will ruin flower beds and such.

This year rats/mice are few and far between, even though I am surrounded by fields/jungle.
When they are a problem,
what we do is stuff salami and/or rice with those red or blue pellets and put them in the conuco and fields---- dont forget to keep the dogs from going out, we keep them in the garden for 2 days.
If you want a dog that's deadly on rats - get yourself a terrier. They have kept my place rat free for the past 6 months

malko

Jan 12, 2013
If you want a dog that's deadly on rats - get yourself a terrier. They have kept my place rat free for the past 6 months

What I have noticed, is the most important feature is the ability to actually bite down hard on the critter.
The best hunter dog I had was Simba ( RIP), he could catch anything---- even birds--- but he wasnt big on killing, his character, I think. Of course stuff died anyway, say 50% of the time, and then he would look at me with sad eyes, God bless him.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What I have noticed, is the most important feature is the ability to actually bite down hard on the critter.
The best hunter dog I had was Simba ( RIP), he could catch anything---- even birds--- but he wasnt big on killing, his character, I think. Of course stuff died anyway, say 50% of the time, and then he would look at me with sad eyes, God bless him.

Was that one of the dogs from Lindsay? They were toooooo cute too.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Was that one of the dogs from Lindsay? They were toooooo cute too.

Yes, he was. They were great companions. And cuddly. Too nice and trustful though. Thankfully the rotties would keep an eye out for him. He once tried to befriend a burron lol.

Whenever my wife wanted me te get up, she would let Simba in the house and tell him to go and get me. He would jump up on the bed and lick my face until I got up ...... which gets you up rather quickly as you can imagine😄😄.

• Love
Reactions: AlterEgo

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005

When they are a problem,
Rats eat salami? Who knew?

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas

Rat Bait Station 2 Pack - Rodent Bait Station with Key Eliminates Rats Fast. Keeps Children and Pets Safe Indoor Outdoor (2 Pack) (Bait not Included)​

We got the above thru Amazon and had CPS ship it to CPS in Las Terrenas. Got the poison that doesn't harm your pets. I'll report back on how well it works