Amazon Kuiper Satellite Internet Beta Testing in 2024

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Where there is a Coke - Starlink, there will be a Pepsi - Kuiper from Amazon

Let is us if it is smaller, faster, cheaper, better, etc.

(Kuiper, what a catchy name, eh? Fire that marketing manager, I would. )

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Over 3200 satellites.
Space will become as crowded as Sosua Beach on Sunday.

But 400 megabits/sec will certainly compete with Starlink's 100 mbps but I doubt Amazon can deliver that.
Their filing with the FCC was for a minimum of 25 mbps service, which would compete with Delancer maybe ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Over 3200 satellites.
Space will become as crowded as Sosua Beach on Sunday.

But 400 megabits/sec will certainly compete with Starlink's 100 mbps but I doubt Amazon can deliver that.
Their filing with the FCC was for a minimum of 25 mbps service, which would compete with Delancer maybe ?
A minimum of 25 mpbs.

Note they also claim this:

Amazon's largest, "most capable" antenna model, "designed for enterprise, government and telecommunications applications," will be 19 by 30 inches in size and put out internet speeds of up to 1 gigabit per second - fast enough to download a high-definition feature-length movie in roughly 30 seconds.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A minimum of 25 mpbs.

Note they also claim this:

Amazon's largest, "most capable" antenna model, "designed for enterprise, government and telecommunications applications," will be 19 by 30 inches in size and put out internet speeds of up to 1 gigabit per second - fast enough to download a high-definition feature-length movie in roughly 30 seconds.
Well there a couple years out so let's see. Maybe you could have a Starlink and Amazon dish and split the connected devices.
My question is how intrusive will Amazon be? They are already spying on homes with Alexa and connections with Alexa to ring doorbells.

Reactions: rover and AlaPlaya

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well there a couple years out so let's see. Maybe you could have a Starlink and Amazon dish and split the connected devices.
My question is how intrusive will Amazon be? They are already spying on homes with Alexa and connections with Alexa to ring doorbells.
I would expect trying to use two ISP's simultaneously would be messy at best:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I would expect trying to use two ISP's simultaneously would be messy at best:
It would be a piece of cake, connect your laptop and cell phones to one and your smart TVs and cameras to another

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just measured my Cable del Norte speed. I signed up for 15 Mb/s down and 5 Mb/s up years ago.
The measured speed today is 76 Mb/s down and 31 Mb/s up and is about 3,680 RD monthly for the Internet portion of a the bill
(with a combo of having their virtually useless cable TV service),

No reason to even think about satellite service where I am for now.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just measured my Cable del Norte speed. I signed up for 15 Mb/s down and 5 Mb/s up years ago.
The measured speed today is 76 Mb/s down and 31 Mb/s up and is about 3,680 RD monthly for the Internet portion of a the bill
(with a combo of having their virtually useless cable TV service),

No reason to even think about satellite service where I am for now.
Same here. I was literally a day away from going with Starlink when I got the call from Altice.

1679065583392.jpeg

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
JD Jones, Competition is good. CLARO Fiber is probably the reason CableDelNorte had to up their game.

That despite the fact that CLARO is still not even available in my development, but is on either side of it. DUH...

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
JD Jones, Competition is good. CLARO Fiber is probably the reason CableDelNorte had to up their game.

That despite the fact that CLARO is still not even available in my development, but is on either side of it. DUH...
I had the same problem with Claro. The main fiber optic trunk line crossed in front of my house but they told me it wasn't available.

That is, until Altice hooked me up. Claro showed up at my door a week later.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had the same problem with Claro. The main fiber optic trunk line crossed in front of my house but they told me it wasn't available.

That is, until Altice hooked me up. Claro showed up at my door a week later.
People have tried Altice in my development and it sucks for them. Still no CLARO at all.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
To say nothing about paying for both services

StarLink ain't cheap !!
How much is your monthly ? What happened to their 1800 pesos a month plan for 100 mbps ?
Are you dissatisfied William ?
But some people may be working remotely (Day Traders as an example), and need reliable backup should one go out for any period.
Imagine trying to get out of SVB bank stock when it started tanking and your internet takes a dookie ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
chico bill, I get you are trying to force a redundancy point, but that need for two major services in case one fails would apply to a very small percentage of users.

At the moment I have no need to consider any other service provider besides CableDelNorte. That could change any time.
Currently the only viable alternative would appear to be StarLink where I live in Cabarete. Altice I have been told by neighbors sucks and CLARO is absent.

Reactions: rover

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How much is your monthly ? What happened to their 1800 pesos a month plan for 100 mbps ?
Are you dissatisfied William ?
But some people may be working remotely (Day Traders as an example), and need reliable backup should one go out for any period.
Imagine trying to get out of SVB bank stock when it started tanking and your internet takes a dookie ?
No, not dissatisfied

I pay what the deal was about 2700/mo