Feasability of going from Santiago To Sousa Sousa vs Confressi Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

kromrider

Jun 4, 2008
I am planning on visiting the DR is August with my family. We are staying at the Sousa Bay Hotel. I am begining to think twice about this trip after reading these forms. My travel agent booked us into Santiago and said it was a short ride to Sousa via taxi. I looked at the map and its seems like it may be a little more then a short ride. Can anyone tell me what I might pay for this trip for four with luggage?

Also last year we stayed in the DR for my honeymoon. We stayed at the Sun Villiage hotel and really had a great time. I am begining to think that the Sousa area is very different from Confressi beach area. My travel agent assured me that the Sousa Bay Hotel is fine and we should have no problems while we are there as long as we use common sense. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think that The Sosua Bay hotel is wonderful, but you may prefer Cofreisi.
Everyone has different tastes and expectations.
Anyhow, you are correct that Santiago ain't exactly around the corner from us.
Figure on 100 bux and 1 1/2 hours of travel for your group of four with luggage.

kromrider

Jun 4, 2008
Not so bad

Thanks for the quick response. $100.00 and an hour and a half is not that bad. I heard that the hotel was very nice from the travel agent and she said the beach is nicer then Confressi.

This will be my third time in the DR. Its the first time I am taking the kids. For the last couple of years we have taken the kids on Cruises but its time for a change. Last year we had so much fun in the DR. I just want to make sure we will be safe.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks for the quick response. $100.00 and an hour and a half is not that bad. I heard that the hotel was very nice from the travel agent and she said the beach is nicer then Confressi.

This will be my third time in the DR. Its the first time I am taking the kids. For the last couple of years we have taken the kids on Cruises but its time for a change. Last year we had so much fun in the DR. I just want to make sure we will be safe.
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand.
Which beach did she say was better than Cofreisi's?
Sosua, or did she lead you to believe that there is a beach in Santiago?
I'm not sure why you would be staying in a hotel in Santiago.
What is there for you and the kids to do there?

Wait a minute...
I think I got it now.
The agent has you flying into STI, at which point, you would take a taxi to Sosua, is that correct?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah Rocky, our beaches here in Santiago are kinda crowded at that time of the year so we send everyone to the North Coast!!! HA AHA AHA
The OP might want to PM our friend Bachata and see who he would recommend for the pickup at the airport in STI ....unfortunately he is no longer providing that service...

I am sure that the beach in Sos?a is as nice or nicer and certainly more picturesque than the one in Cofres?...

HB

kromrider

Jun 4, 2008
going to Sousa

We are flying to Santiago and staying in Sousa at the Sousa Bay Hotel. I sent an e-mail to the taxi service that advertises on this site and they are very reasonable and I will book it through them.

I think the airfare was cheaper and the flight was direct. After reading through the boards I saw that stuff about the drugs and the gun shots and I was getting worried about it being a little scary about bringing the family into that area.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
We have stayed at both resorts . Sosua Bay 3 times and Sun Village 2 times. We love both resorts for different reasons. Sun Village is a spectacular "village" onto itself but there is not a whole lot in Cofresi outside of Sun Village.
We really enjoy Sosua Bay because you can enjoy AI but also be right in town and enjoy all the local establishments as well.
We also really prefer Sosua beach to Cofresi beach as it is much more lively , especially on Sundays.
IMO Sun Village is the better "resort" but Sosua Bay is the better "experience" and therefore better vacation .

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We have stayed at both resorts . Sosua Bay 3 times and Sun Village 2 times. We love both resorts for different reasons. Sun Village is a spectacular "village" onto itself but there is not a whole lot in Cofresi outside of Sun Village.
We really enjoy Sosua Bay because you can enjoy AI but also be right in town and enjoy all the local establishments as well.
We also really prefer Sosua beach to Cofresi beach as it is much more lively , especially on Sundays.
IMO Sun Village is the better "resort" but Sosua Bay is the better "experience" and therefore better vacation .
Very nice evaluation.
That's the type of report that really helps others make good decisions.

GPV

Jun 5, 2008
Sosua Bay is an excellent hotel, I've been there myself many times. You can fly into Santiago and drive to Sosua, this shouldn't be a problem. And BTW, Sosua is a far better beach than Cofresi. I'd never trade Sosua for Cofresi. I live in Santiago.

HPJuan

Mar 29, 2008
I've been to Sosua on several occasions, but stayed stayed in one of the AIs. On my last trip I also did the drive from Santiago to Puerto Plata / Sousua area. The drive is indeed roughly an hour to 90 mins, but it's not a bad drive. The cab should avoid the mountain area and stick to the main freeway.

Time spent in the Sosua area on the beach and in the AIs is very safe. Much of the dangerous activity in the Sosua area has to do with drugs and prostitution, but this is mostly limited to certain areas around town.

Frankly, I've been in some of those areas, especially near Rockys and was surprised to hear about the brazen gun battle that occured. I find this to be more of a limited incident than the norm and would recommend that a family staying in the area and staying near the beach AI resorts will be more than safe.

Juan

melchan

Apr 4, 2007
general sosua questions

Been to DR many times but not Sosua.

1. are there any cabana/ small rooms you can rent for the day only (not sleeping over)---just need place to change/shower after hanging at beach

2. Is sosua beach good place to hang out and see lots of people (not a deserted type beach (went to playa dorado once and there were only 5 people on the beach in the afternoon)---BORING

3. are there any clubs similar to passions-santiago in sosua

4. names of good clubs in sosua where i can dance and mingle with my mate.
we are both prof. latin dancers and want to dance with others and mingle

5. whats a better day -exccursion Jarabacoa or sosua?

6. can you get around sosua (beach- then club) on foot

7. are there any taxi companys that can drive you back to Santiago late at night (SAFELY)? name/ tel. please

THANKS

kromrider

Jun 4, 2008
Update

We returned today from our stay at the Souga bay hotel. It was a decent place to stay. The place was clean, the staff was friendly and the food was okay. The beach was nice and we were able to snorkel right in front of the hotel. The shows were funny and entertaining. A few dollars as tips had us treated like kings. It was well worth what we paid and I would go again.

The taxi service was also good. Thanks for the help.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua

I've never seen the name SOSUA massacred so much in one thread. Oh yea, Sosua has the nicest beach on the north coast. Don't worry about the hookers or drugs, you won't even notice it unless you're looking for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.