Another one bites the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

apostropheman

kool, thanks.
I am sorry, I meant Susanas. We are talking about the same place, in Villa Flora.
Is the previous location also open as Susana's? She moved to Villa Flor some time ago while the old location was being renovated. Both seemed open last October....

I've eaten at the original location many times and really enjoy the food. The atmosphere is much different, perhaps better though in Villa Flor...unless you're chica watching :D

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I am sorry, I meant Susanas. We are talking about the same place, in Villa Flora.

Sandros is definately in Caberete...since I dined there just a few weeks ago and my premature dementia does seem to be under control!:confused::rolleyes:

A

apostropheman

I'll have a look for it when I'm in Cabarete next :D
Sandros is definately in Caberete...since I dined there just a few weeks ago and my premature dementia does seem to be under control!:confused::rolleyes:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

I am not sure, but I think it may be a small place across from BHD bank. You go down a few steps. It is on the South side of the street. White tables.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I am not sure, but I think it may be a small place across from BHD bank. You go down a few steps. It is on the South side of the street. White tables.

I do remember going down a couple of steps...the decor eludes me, as does the landmark of the bank but the meal was very tasty.:)

A

apostropheman

I just printed this post for future reference...post 13 :D
For you Marco, of course! Here's my "Best of Cabarete" list:

Happy Hour:
Hands, down, Lax, honorable mention to Casanova and Onno's

Food:
Inexpensive: Ali's, Locos, Bayerischer Hof, Lax

Dominican: Elvis', Celina's (on the beach, next to Pomodoro), Parillada Luis

More upscale: Cabarete Blue, Bliss, Casa Del Pescador

Pricey but awesome food: Papi's (worth every penny, IMO!), honorable mention to Otra Cosa

Breakfast: Claro, Dick's, Velero

Tacos: Cabarete East!

Pizza: Pomodoro, Lax

Sandwiches/Salads/Specialty Coffees: Friends

Lobster: Casa del Pescador, La Boca

Romantic: Reasonable: Blue, Casa del Pescador, High-end: Otra Cosa

Best view: Velero, La Boca

Dessert: gelato place next to Pomodoro - try it...it's outstanding! Chocolate Mousse at Bliss

24 hours: Hexen Kessel

Promising new-comer: Caravel (next to Viva Wyndham) Toma La Luna (re-opened)

Best "insider"/special occasion spots: 7:36, Blue Moon, Castle Club

Drinks:
Lax, Cosita Bar

Music:
Early: Lax
Late: Onno's, Bambu (also, for Salsa, Bachata and Merengue all night: Calamari en Folie - next to Onno's)

Closest to an Expat "hangout": Dick's Bakery, Lax

Overall favorite: Lax

you're right Marco, things are not so bad here! Although I do like to head to Sosua for Breakfast and Ribs at Rocky's, Lunch at Bailey's Cafeteria, Italian food at Bologna, Fish and Chips (and happy hour) at Brittania, Thai food at Chiles, etc...Sosua's list is definitely longer, but most of us in Cabarete aren't complaining!
...and added a note to look for Sandro's :)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I seem to recall the name "Sandro's" as a place serving "La Bandera" and the likes.

Yes, Sandro's Cafe is across the street from the entrance to the beach (near Pomodoro). It is very good, authentic and reasonable - I think the bandera is still 100 pesos. Also, for the only Chinese food in the area...Restaurant China (original name, eh?) is actually pretty good and very reasonable, although don't try to compare it with NYC or SF chinatown food...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Yes, Sandro's Cafe is across the street from the entrance to the beach (near Pomodoro). It is very good, authentic and reasonable - I think the bandera is still 100 pesos. Also, for the only Chinese food in the area...Restaurant China (original name, eh?) is actually pretty good and very reasonable, although don't try to compare it with NYC or SF chinatown food...

Thanks ...I wont be able to compare as I am not a lover of Chinese food:p!

I know the meal at Sandro's was very inexpensive and the quality was good.

travelchik

Jan 26, 2007
Don't forget The Downwinder!

Another excellent spot in Cabarete is The Downwinder. It's on the beach side of the street right next door to Janets Supermercado. Downwinder isn't on the beach but it has a really nice shady patio out front and inside is casual & comfortable with tables for dining and sofas and comfy chairs for just hanging out. It's very nicely decorated and AIR CONDITIONED which is a real treat. Also a nice spot to get away from the mosquitos!

They have 1/2 priced drinks (house drinks / beer) & appys for happy hour and a fairly extensive drinks menu. Happy hour is 4 - 6pm. They also have daily meal specials (all you can eat pasta on Wednesdays) and the food is really good. Even homemade deserts!

I love the chef salad (it's huge!) and a good meal at 155 pesos. They include t/s in the prices too.

The owners are a couple from Seattle and are great people. Very friendly and Cherie will try to accomodate any requests for items not on the menu.

As an added bonus they also offer free WiFi and also home delivery.

It's become one of our favorite spots for the good food, great prices, fresh coffee and nice atmosphere.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

That's it...across the street from Century 21, BHD and the Pomodoro/Beach entrance.

Very simple place with good dominican food..and excellent Batidas, btw...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Another excellent spot in Cabarete is The Downwinder. It's on the beach side of the street right next door to Janets Supermercado. Downwinder isn't on the beach but it has a really nice shady patio out front and inside is casual & comfortable with tables for dining and sofas and comfy chairs for just hanging out. It's very nicely decorated and AIR CONDITIONED which is a real treat. Also a nice spot to get away from the mosquitos!

They have 1/2 priced drinks (house drinks / beer) & appys for happy hour and a fairly extensive drinks menu. Happy hour is 4 - 6pm. They also have daily meal specials (all you can eat pasta on Wednesdays) and the food is really good. Even homemade deserts!

I love the chef salad (it's huge!) and a good meal at 155 pesos. They include t/s in the prices too.

The owners are a couple from Seattle and are great people. Very friendly and Cherie will try to accomodate any requests for items not on the menu.

As an added bonus they also offer free WiFi and also home delivery.

It's become one of our favorite spots for the good food, great prices, fresh coffee and nice atmosphere.

Ive been meaning to try this place, I'll definitely check it out... thanks for the review!!

gibbs

May 31, 2005
We ate there several times in March...good breakfast and they have (had) a hamburger with peanut butter.:surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.