Another one bites the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike.n.amy

Jun 4, 2007
Don't Forget Cabaha

Thanks to everyone for the listing of expat-friendly restaurants!

One definite favorite of ours is Cabaha (located just down the alley from Pomodoro straight across from Fred's Jewelry Shop). This is hands-down our favorite spot for drinks & food, day or night! Howdie's ceviche and mojitos are simply the best in town. They also serve breakfast (try the #3 combo with fresh fruit & honey, jugos, cafe con leche, and ham, tomato, basil omelette). Beats Friends' breakfast hands-down in my opinion. Oh, and don't forget the chocolate cake for dessert! Yum!

Also, no one mentioned the Argentinian place just past Velero on the beach. Gets our vote for best view (and you can hear the breakers on the point while eating dinner outside). Great food and much less pricey than Otra Cosa (but right next to it).

That's it from our end. We'll definitely have to stay another year or two just to try all the great restaurants! :)

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
The only restaurant that I went to in Cabarete was the one across from Josies O'Shays that served a not to baf Pizza. I don't know the name of it though and I am a bit slow,but I didn't know that Josie O'Shays had gone out of business.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The only restaurant that I went to in Cabarete was the one across from Josies O'Shays that served a not to baf Pizza. I don't know the name of it though and I am a bit slow,but I didn't know that Josie O'Shays had gone out of business.

Please re-read the OP's post.
J. O'S did not go out of business!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The Best Sushi Rest. is Yamazato. It's in Ocean Dream Plaza. Really outstanding. Fairly large menue. It's small. Probably seats about 20 inside with A/C, and maybe 20 outside. I'm not much on sushi but I'll eat it there.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
one bites the dust

Well it seems like one of the last reasonable places to eat on the Beach in Cabarete has bitten the dust and gone the way of the Jose O'Shays, Cassanovas, Blue etc on the beach. No longer is it local friendly but now wants to cater to the tourists only. Bob K

Sorry I only focussed on the bitten the dust...... part, I guess that from now on I will make sure I read the whole thing before I comment. I'm glad that they are still in buisness.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
dick.n.amy: That is Chez Cheo, the old Martinez place out on the point. Glad you enjoyed it. I, too, have truly enjoyed my meals there.

My son used to eat at Otra Cosa a lot but was really put off when they jacked the prices and said something about the children eating there ( I do not know the whole story)...

Apart from Rocky's ribs and Garlic Chicken and Thanksgiving pies, I only know Chez Cheo and the fish places over by Maimon...(Don't get out that much...)

Oh yes, most of the fried meat joints along both highways to Santiago!!! Oh my cholesterol!!! But then, I am more local than most....

HB

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
I had a terrible time at Ono's yesterday. As have my local friends who say they will no longer be going to Ono's.
I have had a "local card", which gives me 20% off on all beverages for years and yesterday they told me that they only discount my drinks not my date.
I was horrified. then the waitress told me that when she eats there her boyfriend has to pay full price.
Well that just can not be true because the bill gets the discount not the cardholder.
They did finally give me the full discount which proved my point that the waitress full of crap.
they then cleverly charged me 26% and added a cuba libre which we were not even drinking. We only had beers.
The bartenders then had the stupidity to add that this was new management and not for them to decide.
The fact is Manuel, the daytime bartender, is still there and continues to give me a full discount so my impression is that the thread is correct, Ono's new management no longer cares about local clientele and like the other greedy pigs on the beach, Ono's has gone the way of the worm.
i won't be giving them any more money.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
That really sucks...Onno's was one of my favorite places. It was one of only a few restaurants on the beach that serves breakfast...and was very reasonable..with free wifi and the million dollar view. They had the best happy hour (from 4-8pm) and a great staff.

When the place was sold late last year, they closed for 3-4 weeks for renovations and when it re-opened it was....surprise! almost exactly the same! A little cleaner and with a new kitchen and bathrooms, but everything else, including the menus was the same,,then they shortened the happy hour..then they shortened the time the food specials were included in the happy hour..now they've raised the prices and lowered the service? bummer!!!

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Yes, it is sad. But not much can be done about it. It is the current trend.

If anyone here remember back some years, nothing of this kind was thinkeable during the golden period of German order and control in the region.

Some old-timers business owners hate that time. Because that time was buyers (consumers) market. And from that time there came the world wide notion of Dominican Republic as reasonably priced and people friendly destnation.

Now we live in Wild West American style aggressive way of doing business. Good honest old school is gone.

For several years already I eat several times a week at Bayley`s and I see that they also increase prices practicaly every month. Little by little, not so obvious. And by tradition still are considered "reasonably priced". I asked Daniela and Israel if they also got their salaries increased? No.

I can also name some places where a plate of pasta after itbis and propina already costs $250RD or even more.

The only thing for consumers to do now - to support as much as possible honest places like Brittania where free internet is really free without owner`s permission and configuration and plate of pasta is $99RD, and Tom`s new restaurant on the beach and some others.

This thread is very valuable in terms of really separating who is who and who is not.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
An untrained/uninformed waitress not willingly giving a valid discount is one thing. Rising prices due to rising cost of doing business is another. How much true gouging is going on, I don't know. One needs a reasonable return on their investments and hard work.

Like others, I also 'suffer' from the rising cost of eating out in & around Cabarete. It's a topic that comes up regularly amongst friends here. And I'm not at all thrilled with it.

I'm not in the restaurant business so I don't know all of the ins & outs. However, let's be realistic about some reasons that are valid as to why prices have gone up in the restaurants since I first was here 7 years ago.

1. The cost of the food itself. I can walk into a store & if I'm buying anything more than very basic staples and the lowest quality ingredients.. I can spend 1000 pesos and walk out with two little plastic bags that will feed me (and only me) maybe 3 or 4 meals. That's about 250 pesos per meal & I do the cooking, serving, and cleaning up after. To pay 250 more for the same meal at a restaurant? Is that ridiculous? Probably not.

2. Owners of newer restaurants are paying more to buy the properties (rumored well into 7 figures in the case of Onno's) and need a reasonable return on their investment... or they'll shut down.

3. Some, such as Casanova, have spent big money on their kitchen equipment, decorations, and overall appearance of their restaurants. They didn't get these things at bargain basement prices and again, need to pay off their investment and also make a little money for themselves.

4. Overall hygiene is better. I don't recall the last time (a few years now) that I've had rats run across the floor while eating, the kitchens are clean, & the bathrooms in almost all restaurants are now very acceptable. (Bambu is still abismal, but a few years ago it would have compared favorably to other bars/restaurants)

5. Food quality is better & I believe it is better refrigerated & fresher.

6. Electrical costs are up... but there's almost always power on the beach now. Seldom even do the lights blink. There's a cost to that.

7. There's no doubt a 'fee' being paid to keep the bars open 'til 3. I suspect there's some re-negotiating going on now as both Friday & Saturday Politur shut things down at about 2:30 a.m. Those 'fees' wind up in the cost of your dinner, too.

8. Tax collection is better as well, I believe. In the past 'Tax included' often really meant "we don't pay taxes". I think most if not all are now paying the appropriate taxes. Again, must be passed on to clients.

9. It's just overall more expensive, no matter what you're doing. Heck, costs me $20 in gas just to drive to Pto Plata & back. Think the cost of that fuel doesn't have an impact on just about everything in the restaurant & bar business?

Just last night I talked to the owner of a smaller restaurant on the beach. Their food is good & prices are 'low', but it'll still run you 600 pesos to eat there with sodas & 26% tax. They're probably raising their prices before long... but just to cover their rising costs.

Anyhow, I hate that it's happening. I miss the $3 big breakfasts on the beach and the $10 dinners. Today it's probably $7 & $25 for the same meals. But, I still can't think of another place I want to be where I can eat good food on the beach, in a great environment, for the price that I can here.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Also consider the Cabarete restaurants are re-couping some of their losses from the sewer pipe construction project. Now when its finally paved we learn its being dug up again for water pipes. No wonder they need to increase their prices!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
dick.n.amy: That is Chez Cheo, the old Martinez place out on the point. Glad you enjoyed it. I, too, have truly enjoyed my meals there.

My son used to eat at Otra Cosa a lot but was really put off when they jacked the prices and said something about the children eating there ( I do not know the whole story)...

Apart from Rocky's ribs and Garlic Chicken and Thanksgiving pies, I only know Chez Cheo and the fish places over by Maimon...(Don't get out that much...)

Oh yes, most of the fried meat joints along both highways to Santiago!!! Oh my cholesterol!!! But then, I am more local than most....

HB

HB,
We had that fried meat for the first time two weeks ago in la Cumbra on the tourist road. All I can say is my heart is still in spasm, but by taste buds are screaming more, more, more.
Bob K

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
HB,
We had that fried meat for the first time two weeks ago in la Cumbra on the tourist road. All I can say is my heart is still in spasm, but by taste buds are screaming more, more, more.
Bob K
You're lucky it's your heart in spasm.
That stuff disagrees with my intestines and pretty much guarantees me frequent bathroom visits, or worse.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
Hexen Kessel

Can you still pay for several "specials" in advance? It seemed quite reasonable a few years back. Anyone know how much? I think they gave a card of some type and scratched off one credit each time you ordered the special.

Thanks,
ggparts

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
AK47,
Remember when Bailey's did not charge residents the 26% and then when the Govt cracked down on the tax collection about 18 months ago they offered residents a 10% dicount. Well that is gone now as well and like you said the prices are increasing. Needless to say we don't eat there very often now. It used to be one of our favorites.

Bob K

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bailey"s food is overrated. Also, once they figured they had the local market they raised the prices to make it a no bargain spot for locals.

windfinder

May 28, 2007
a bit pricey but excellent and rarely mentioned is Miro's for Thia food.

How is Voy Voy doing? When I was there in January the new management had some really exciting ideas which I hope they pulled off. The food was good and reasonably priced.

To be honest, I thought Onno's had already begun to slide back then sadly, as it had been one of my favorite places in the past.

VoyVoy has an awesome Dominican Buffet on Tuesdays, for 299 all you can eat , also the BBQ on Saturdays is outstanding.....

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
VoyVoy has an awesome Dominican Buffet on Tuesdays, for 299 all you can eat , also the BBQ on Saturdays is outstanding.....

Thank you for mentionning actual prices!

For me personally it is the measure of distinguishing between self-advertising and genuin posts by people willing to share valuable info.

I think that posts where prices are also stated must be kept separately in a sticky thread perhaps if Robert approves the idea.

I would start the thread with my favourite and highly respected Brittania-

- $99 RD a meal 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. Also $99RD - three beers in this "happy time"

Status
Not open for further replies.