Is everyone who visits DR Cheap???

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
And after the day spent strolling thru Zona Colonial, where do you think Vin Disel goes to sleep? Back to Casa De Campo where about 500 security guards ISULATE him from the poverty.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
And after the day spent strolling thru Zona Colonial, where do you think Vin Disel goes to sleep? Back to Casa De Campo where about 500 security guards ISULATE him from the poverty.
But he's still in the DR and he still leaves and knows about the poverty and continues to live in the DR.

True insulation is staying first world countries to not run the "risk" of seeing anything, not moving to a developing country and having charities, and going into its large cities, etc.

The point is that more and more of the world's rich are visiting the DR which completely negates the comment Onion/Carrots made.

He and Julio Iglesias, and the Fuentes family and a long list of other upper crust people could had easily decided to stay in Miami where they used to live before "discovering" the DR and deciding to move to the DR for good. But, no, the poverty was not a deterrent. Much in the same way the poverty is not a deterrent to less wealthy Americans. Afterall, there is a reason Myrtle Beach is a such a popular vacation spot and it has little to do with glamour. They can spend cheap vacations within the DR and not see poverty, but that's not deterring them.

Face it, the DR is the new "it" place among the upper crust (or anyone) and is still becoming much more popular, poverty or not!

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Yes, i guess Casa De Campo is DR, isn't it? :tired:
Its as much a part of the DR as is Los Cacicazgos in Santo Domingo, Los R?os in Santo Domingo, Cuesta Hermosa in Santo Domingo, Gurabo in Santiago, La Trinitaria in Santiago, Torre Alta in Puerto Plata, Hazim in San Pedro, Ciudad Modelo in Villa Mella, Brisas del Caribe in Santo Domingo Este, and all the other upper income non-gated and gated communities in the DR.

You know, rich Dominicans are Dominican too and their lifestyle is as much Dominican as that of the chopos.

The lifestyle of the Dominicans living in this mansion located on a public road in not gated Bella Vista neighborhood of Santo Domingo is the real Dominican lifestyle in the same way it is for the people living in the little house.

167359.jpg

2169084116_dac7a827de_o.jpg

It's all Dominican whether you like it or not!

-NALs

Last edited:

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I don't Dominicans should be patting themselves on the back too hard for the fact that rich foreigners choose to put triple-fence on a part of the Island, hire 1000 security guards and build villas there. I'm sure the sunshine and tax-breaks had more to do with them choosing DR than DR's rich history, its education system and the health-care.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't Dominicans should be patting themselves on the back to hard for the fact that rich foreigners choose to put triple-fence on a part of the Island, hire 1000 security guards and build villas there. I'm sure the sunshine and tax-breaks had more to do with them choosing DR than DR's rich history, its education system and the health-care.
There are islands within the Caribbean itself that offer the same sunshine and similar "tax-breaks" without the contrasts of the DR and yet, of all the choices in the Caribbean or elsewhere in the world, they chose the DR and plenty are following their path.

So, what separates the DR from other countries in the area? Its mostly culture and economics.

And for your information, most gated and not gated affluent communities in the DR are filled with Dominicans with foreigners sprinkled here and there. Very few gated communities have most of their properties foreign owned. This is true in the city as well as in the country.

I think I made my point already and to not go further off topic, I'll leave it here.

-NALs

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I wonder why every successful Dominican as soon as he can afford INSULATES himself deep into a gated community. Let's leave it there.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I wonder why every successful Dominican as soon as he can afford INSULATES himself deep into a gated community. Let's leave it there.
Most rich Dominicans don't live in gated communities. :surprised

-NALs

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
I guess then i should be gloating too for the fact that rich Russians and corrupted politicians and mafiosos, and a few jet-setters (Micheal Schumaher, Stallone) have build villas and reside some of the time in my home-country.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For the last time...

I guess then i should be gloating too for the fact that rich Russians and corrupted politicians and mafiosos, and a few jet-setters (Micheal Schumaher, Stallone) have build villas and reside some of the time in my home-country.
No one is 'gloating' about anything.

This thread took a turn for a tangent and its being dealt with, no gloating.

And yes, while there are rich Russians, corrupt politicians, and mafiosos; most rich folk in the DR are honorable people who earned their wealth.

Some people will never understand.

Bye bye.

-NALs

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

The richest neiborhoods in the DR are not gated, and most of then are next to a very poor barrio, one example is "Los Cerro de Gurabo", it's next to a barrio call "Los Mangles" very poor barrio.

Most rich Dominicans have families and friends living in barrios.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Family and friends in the barrio, the rich ones in Los Cerros De Gurabo, OK, i get it now, thanks. Back to the topic.

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
Rich/Poor

You sound a little bitter, Liam... I don't know of one country anywhere in the world where the truly rich live in poor neighborhoods. Go to Detroit, New York, or ANYWHERE in Europe, Africa, ANYWHERE...

People of disparate financial circumstances usually live in disparate social climates...it is the way of the world. In defense of the DR, I was amazed a dozen or so years ago the first time I drove a rented car through just about every neighborhood in Santo Domingo...(took about a week). It may be the only country in which I have witnessed Mansions and poverty on the SAME BLOCK in many cases, no gates etc... (of course a security guard).

Why are you so angry at the wealthy?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Do you even read the posts? You should read about 10 posts back and then ask "why are you angry at the rich". The conversation is about where the rich in Casa De Campo are insulated from the rest of the island or not, and i said yes they are. Sorry, my english, it no good. Angry at the rich? why would i be? they didn't take away nothing from me.

Jan 3, 2003
Do you think these people are not aware of anything?

Many of them, like the Bluhdorn, even have charities in the DR to help the Dominican poor.

Many intermingle with the Dominican upper class in exclusive parties in Santo Domingo and Santiago.

There is no way they can travel in the DR without noticing the poverty. No way. Who do you think attended the MIR

Look at Vin Diesel, which despite he not really being accepted among the true elite, he's still very rich and practically lives in the DR. He has a property in Casa de Campo and in Santo Domingo and guess what? Do you think he didn't notice any poverty?

Almost all upper crust visitors to the DR sooner or later tours the Colonial Zone. Do you think they don't notice anything?

There is no way.

-NALs

I guess with "splitting hairs Nals" I have to spell it all out for you. What I meant by noticing is actually being enmeshed in it in such a way that it affects you daily. That's not typical for tourists. Now the wealthy in SD do have to experience it daily especially if they have any type of business there. They usually have employees who they pay poorly and are directly responsible for their poverty. The concentration of wealth and its unequal distribution is the primary reason for such income inequalities and extreme poverty as witnessed in countries such as the DR.

Jan 3, 2003
Why are you so angry at the wealthy?

The concentration of wealth is the primary cause of income inequality since economies are zero-sum games. I side with the French and that foreigner raised to Minister status during the French Revolution whose name is Jacques Necker I believe who told King Louis XVI that the rich must be taxed heavily to avert what was coming- The French Revolution. Obviously not a favorable measure amongst the aristocracy and as a result, he was removed.

IOW, for some to be rich it forcibly causes others to be poor.

There is a positive correlation with wealth concentration and poverty. As wealth is increased and concentrated in fewer hands, poverty is increased and engulfs ever larger segments of society.

Jan 3, 2003
Do you even read the posts? You should read about 10 posts back and then ask "why are you angry at the rich". The conversation is about where the rich in Casa De Campo are insulated from the rest of the island or not, and i said yes they are. Sorry, my english, it no good. Angry at the rich? why would i be? they didn't take away nothing from me.

I agree with you SIR. The disparity in wealth is atrocious in the DR and is the primary cause for the extreme poverty in the DR alongside the compliant and complicit governments which have allowed these wage inequalities to go on too long. Those two picture Nals presents is a vomitous testament to the concentration of wealth which has been the death of societies.

A cursory look at Easter Island, the Greenland Norse, the Mayas is substantive evidence of how entire societies collapse when the desires and whims of the rich are not aligned with the masses. The inevitable outcome as stated by Diamond in his book Collapse is that the rich afford themselves the right to be the last ones to starve.

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
I guess with "splitting hairs Nals" I have to spell it all out for you. What I meant by noticing is actually being enmeshed in it in such a way that it affects you daily. That's not typical for tourists. Now the wealthy in SD do have to experience it daily especially if they have any type of business there. They usually have employees who they pay poorly and are directly responsible for their poverty. The concentration of wealth and its unequal distribution is the primary reason for such income inequalities and extreme poverty as witnessed in countries such as the DR.

"Do you even read the posts? You should read about 10 posts back and then ask "why are you angry at the rich". The conversation is about where the rich in Casa De Campo are insulated from the rest of the island or not, and i said yes they are. Sorry, my english, it no good. Angry at the rich? why would i be? they didn't take away nothing from me.
Reply With Quote"

Yes, Liam, I read all the posts!!! And I am not a tourist, Carrots!! Paying what an employee is WORTH does NOT contribute to poverty...JESUS!!

Wow! Everyone is SOOOO defensive! I have 15 years in country - camping on Semana and Punta Cana beaches BEFORE ANY RESORTS were even contemplated!!! (probably more than either of you) and I feel I have a BASIC idea of the Dominican struggle. I have supported TWO Dominican families over the years (both extremely poor) and the situation is this in my humble opinion:

Why should a wealthy Dominican (or foreign) business owner pay more than the average wage for less-than-average skill?????????? This creates an environment in which the lowly Dominican worker feels entitled to wages they are not deserving of...

The average Dominican worker is less than 50% qualified compared to the same international standard. This will NEVER make for a decent work force in the DR. It all stars with EDUCATION!!! I am personally financing TWO SCHOOLS for trade certification, so that the graduates of these programs can DEMAND proper wages wherever they live, internationally...forever!!

What are either of you doing to improve the lives of Domincans??

This kind of self serving BS makes me wanna puke!

Oh, BTW, I am not wealthy, either. I am spending my LIFE SAVINGS to educate Dominicans, because I feel this is what is needed.

I repeat... What ere either of you, Liam or Carrots, doing to improve the lives of Dominicans!!!!!!!??????

Whiners!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The concentration of wealth is the primary cause of income inequality since economies are zero-sum games.
That's false and explains the divergent views between your opinion and my own.

Economies are not zero-sum, there is no fixed amount of wealth, but it can be created or destroyed.

I can't write in detail right now because I have a dinner to attend, but for now know that assuming economies are a zero-sum game is wrong, incorrect, and leads to erroneous conclusions.

-NALs

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
Rich/Poor

That's false and explains the divergent views between your opinion and my own.

Economies are not zero-sum, there is no fixed amount of wealth, but it can be created or destroyed.

I can't write in detail right now because I have a dinner to attend, but for now know that assuming economies are a zero-sum game is wrong, incorrect, and leads to erroneous conclusions.

-NALs

Thank you, NAL's