The floor is open for comment

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
According to DR1:

In its message commemorating the nation's independence, the Dominican Conference of Bishops has called upon the country's political parties to "purify their lists of candidates, closing the door on the incompetent, the ambitious and the corrupt".

If we eliminate the incompetent, the ambitious and the corrupt, who's left?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Who's left? OK, I'll start the list: Senator Wilton Guerrero, Senator Francisco Javier Dom?nguez Brito, Dar?o Camilo candidate for Mayor of Salcedo, V?ctor Bret?n candidate for Mayor of Canca La Reina, Eddy Mu?oz in SFM & Danilo Feliz candidate for Mayor in Guayacanes.

Other posters, please add to this list.

Reactions: Gabriela

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Who's left? OK, I'll start the list: Senator Wilton Guerrero, Senator Francisco Javier Dom?nguez Brito, Dar?o Camilo candidate for Mayor of Salcedo, V?ctor Bret?n candidate for Mayor of Canca La Reina, Eddy Mu?oz in SFM & Danilo Feliz candidate for Mayor in Guayacanes.

Other posters, please add to this list.

Agree with all of those Lambada, and would add Jos? Maria Sosa, candidate for Senator in San Pedro de Macoris.

matilda

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I'd change ambitious to greedy

According to DR1:

In its message commemorating the nation's independence, the Dominican Conference of Bishops has called upon the country's political parties to "purify their lists of candidates, closing the door on the incompetent, the ambitious and the corrupt".

If we eliminate the incompetent, the ambitious and the corrupt, who's left?

That was the only reason for my doubt. Though I'd love to see more humble politicians.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Deputies Minou Tavarez Mirabal and Manuel Jim?nez. Former VP Milagros Ort?z Bosch. Guillermo Moreno.

The PRD got rid of Julio Romero, now let's see them do the same with Radhames Ramos Garc?a.

Reactions: Gabriela
Nov 25, 2008
incompetent
lets just get one thing clear, ALL politicians even the ones who you think aren't corrupt ...are in one "favor" or another.
Dominican politicians only look out for themselves, a good example is Sued in Santiago; has his sister in charge of Parks and landscaping, not bad for $600,000 a month, that's not bad...under my standards
If we continue his nieces are another hole in Santiago money drain...not counting apartments, building construction all under the Santiago payroll.
So any politician who only comes out of hibernation ever 4 years to get reelected is really the bottom of the garbage barrel...... sorry to all those barrels

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
So far we have 11 named people. Any more? Gabriela has set us a challenge (even if she didn't intend to! :cheeky:) and I would agree, nothing wrong with ambition as long as it includes working to improve the lot of members of the constituency. But I think we know what is meant: who are the good ones? (motivated more by service and not by self-aggrandisement or greed). Let's make our own register, it might be quite instructive for the politicians to learn what gringos think (I know we're not all gringos, but many of us are). And let's keep to the good ones, otherwise I can see the lawsuits hovering in the near distance........:ermm:

And could we possibly keep the thread, if not serious, at least focussed on the OP's topic?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
this kind of list borders on slander IMHO.

i'd rather see a a list of guys who were in office, got real results and should be re-elected (by us gringos that have "NO VOTA" on our cedulas??)

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
remember that the word "ambitious" in "dominican" - is "interesado" which means greedy.

Sued has his people metido en toda parte, but I think he works more than some other sindicos i've seen.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Interesado is literally "self-interested". Ambitious would be ambicioso, but the connotation may be slightly less positive than in English.

Dictionary definitions:
Interesado/a: Que se deja llevar demasiado por el inter?s, o solo se mueve por ?l.
Ambici?n: Deseo ardiente de conseguir poder, riquezas, dignidades o fama.

Ambition: aspiration, dream, a strong drive for success.

Mar 2, 2008
Personally, I don't see how listing possible capable candidates can be considered slanderous, but that's just me.

I do think it will be a very short list however. Again, that's just me.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Let's see: Milton Ray Guevara for Saman?? Probably.

Really good, solid people people just do not go into politics, unfortunately. When they do, they seem to run into the really schitty reality of party interests. Of things that "have to be done", people that "have to be taken care of"...

So they bail. Marranzini should last a few more months at most. Frustration will soon set in. He's already told them what they already know..pay or switch off the lights.

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The PRD got rid of Julio Romero, now let's see them do the same with Radhames Ramos Garc?a.

It might take divine intervention:
Radham?s Ramos: ?Dios me reserv? la Presidencia de la Rep?blica?

This is a classic interview with gems such as
'?Se quedar? como diputado nada m?s?

No. Dios tiene un prop?sito grande para el diputado Ramos Garc?a. ?Para qu? crees que Dios permiti? que me mandaran a la c?rcel? ?En este pa?s qui?n no conoce ahora al diputado Ramos Garc?a? Los enemigos me atacan, pero saben que hay en La Vega un diputado con sensibilidad humana.'

This is the guy who did a stretch for illegally bringing in Chinese nationals when he was Consul in Haiti. The same one who advised pregnant women to slide down staircases. Obviously the jail time was all part of the grand plan to make his name known to everyone in the DR..........:rolleyes: