Driving in DR with US-Suspended Licenses (Policia question)

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i caught a set belt ticket that i didnt pay on one trip in santo domingo and came back next 5 months caught a seat belt ticket and a speeding ticket and was able to leave to the u.s. i guess they will catch me if i get locked up out there and pull the record

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You folks do realize you are responding to a two year old thread, Anastacio has not posted on dr1 in quite some time, I do believe he may have been reincarnated as some sort of a dog.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
If you are a gringo, any and all accidents are "serious". Are they commonplace? With the number of motos on the road, and the fact that you will be at fault even if they broadside you, yes they are commonplace.
Ever hear of anyother country where you are advised to purchase "casa de conductor" coverage on your policy so that you will be held in a "hotel" rather that jail until the accident is sorted out???
In the event of an accident, you can expect the "victim", his lawyer and the investigating police will have to be compensated.
As far as renting from a non-US based company, again, all will be fine until an accident occurs. The insurance company will take 30 seconds to run your license and deny coverage if it comes back suspended.

Man! It looks like the whole CARIBEEAN is corrupt! Obviously, some countries are more corrupt than others. But, Dominicans seem to be one of the leaders, in terms of tricks? Wow
That is why when i go there, i am tempting to rent a car, but for security reasons, i take a cab instead. Because, drivers there are like HAITI, no skills at all!
It seems there are no laws for FOREIGNERS/DIASPORA1 What funny about these some of these CARIBBEAN COUNTRIES, is the fact they do not like FOREIGNERS/ DIASPORA, however they love the money of these FOREIGNERS. That is count for them! Weird people, man!

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Very interesting post here! I have learned a lot here! Bottom line. You need some money and police will probably let you go your way, even you kill someone?
I am on the prudent side, myself! It looks like this country has no law at all

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Very interesting post here! I have learned a lot here! Bottom line. You need some money and police will probably let you go your way, even you kill someone?
I am on the prudent side, myself! It looks like this country has no law at all

I met a Haitian guy in Sosua recently, an older guy with a limp. I asked him why he was limping. He showed me a big scare and told me a German tourist hit him on a motoconcho with her suv. I asked if anything happened to her, and he said he tried to find out when he was still in the hospital but was told she paid off some people and left the country. I don't know if the story is true or not, but the limp and scare were.