Marriage and Last names

misticoz

Dec 13, 2011
I recently got married in the Dominican Republic through a civil judge. My wife wanted to take my last name as her primary last name and drop hers. But from I what I can see so far the civil judge and the people that handle the legalization of la "Acta De Matrimonio" are telling her that this is not an option for her. Here is an example. Her name before getting married (changed) for security reasons... Maria Guzman Martinez, My name simply Jose Pirilo (a US citizen) so we both agreed to have her married name to be Maria Pirilo, but instead what they did in DR was Maria Guzman Martinez de Pirilo, which we don't want. According to some research, this practice of using "de" means property of" and it is something that was practiced in the medieval times. Some countries like Peru and Dominican Republic still use it but are facing it out. Any advice on how to get that name change to reflect what we both want.

Thank you for your time

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
I would very much like to know this as well. In addition the son my wife and I have, his last name is hypenated with both our last names, my last name being first. When he starts school I want him to have my last name only, as well as my wife. Can I just do it although his birth certificate states both of our last names?

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Mistcoz; Hi, good no# 1 post, in Latin America(D.R.) in general a woman dont loose her last name when she marries, so much for macho culture, and their children will use both apellidos last names (father's first).
DE is not always a sign of property or ownership is just a connection to husband.
This practice will insure a continuation of a last name for both sides, a good thing for woman that want to continue their family name.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
I would very much like to know this as well. In addition the son my wife and I have, his last name is hypenated with both our last names, my last name being first. When he starts school I want him to have my last name only, as well as my wife. Can I just do it although his birth certificate states both of our last names?

I don't know about simplifying your wife's name, but I can tell you that I'm an American citizen, married here in the DR, and when our daughter was born in 2006, I made sure her name on her birth documents was kept simple at the private clinic where she was born, the Civil office, the US Consulate when I applied for both her US Passport and CROB and the school she attends as well. This is what we both wanted and never had a problem with any of the mentioned agencies. In your case, both names are recorded on his birth certificates, so I think you may not be able to enroll him in school with just your last name. But, there is no harm in trying. :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband has four brothers - all of their wives still have their maiden names with "de" husband's surname. They don't use the husband's surname for anything. His sister, who lives in Philadelphia and has been married twice (once in DR, once in NYC), still uses only her birth name. These are solidly middle/upper middle class people. I am the only wife who uses her husband's surname, but we were married in NY.

What they are suggesting to the OP is the norm. Maybe she wanted to take his surname to be more American/Canadian/European?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
That's why you see 6 Spanish last names on some people. They have been married a few times. :classic:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wud, that is true. My husband carries his father's surname first, followed by his mother's surname. All Dominicans do, unless their father is unknown or did not acknowledge the child, then they have only the mother's surname. In DR, that's for life. His passport, cedula, driver's license, etc., all have both names. When we got married, he already had a US Social Security card - with both names. Not hyphenated. He went to the Social Security office to have them drop his mother's surname from his US papers.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I had trouble with a Dominican bank. They insisted on using my middle name and last name as my two surnames. I had to remember to have them look me up on the computer by my middle name (they were using it as a surname).

misticoz

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks for all the replies, but I am still unclear how to go about getting rid of the "de" for my wife's new last name. As an added note, it is not so much a "macho" thing, it was her decision to want to carry my last name!

Thanks

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
I don't know about simplifying your wife's name, but I can tell you that I'm an American citizen, married here in the DR, and when our daughter was born in 2006, I made sure her name on her birth documents was kept simple at the private clinic where she was born, the Civil office, the US Consulate when I applied for both her US Passport and CROB and the school she attends as well. This is what we both wanted and never had a problem with any of the mentioned agencies. In your case, both names are recorded on his birth certificates, so I think you may not be able to enroll him in school with just your last name. But, there is no harm in trying. :)

Thank you. Our son just turned four. He has his report of birth abroad certificate and his US passport. His mother and I were married this past May in POP. I sent her I-130 app in July and hope to hear a positive response soon.

What is a CROB? The birth certificate?

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
My husband has four brothers - all of their wives still have their maiden names with "de" husband's surname. They don't use the husband's surname for anything. His sister, who lives in Philadelphia and has been married twice (once in DR, once in NYC), still uses only her birth name. These are solidly middle/upper middle class people. I am the only wife who uses her husband's surname, but we were married in NY.

What they are suggesting to the OP is the norm. Maybe she wanted to take his surname to be more

American/Canadian/European?

Thank you for the good info. I also live and work in the Philly metro area. My wife and son will use my last name.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I think the only option is to get US citizenship for her. With my first and middle name and surnames it was a mile long. Whenever I applied to get any US identifications, I only put in under the name my first, middle initial, and fathers last name. Never had an issue.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Thanks for all the replies, but I am still unclear how to go about getting rid of the "de" for my wife's new last name. As an added note, it is not so much a "macho" thing, it was her decision to want to carry my last name!

Thanks

Here the rule is adding the "de" after her first last name, legally there is not way to get rid of it, unless you move to USA where the wife can assume her husband's last name and get rid of her last name
If you check a Dominican ID when a woman provide a marriage act they add the "de" so sorry for her but here in the Dominican Republic there is not way for that

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
We have lived here in USA 2 years and my wife will get citizenship after three years. Then she can change her name to whatever she wants. That is whay Social Security told us.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
name change

We have lived here in USA 2 years and my wife will get citizenship after three years. Then she can change her name to whatever she wants. That is whay Social Security told us.

Yes she can change her name when becoming a USA citizen.My wife changed her name in the USA when became a citizen. She wanted to change her name here in the DR because she never liked her first name. The process has taken 2 years and lots of things to do in the process. So now she has the same name in both countries.