Barrick Gold Mine employees - where to live?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I would live in Piedra Blanca, short distance from Santo Domingo and not too far from Santiago...
Bonao will be your shopping center as it only 15 minutes away.

JJ

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
Looking for the cooler part of the country and need full time internet. Also would like a good grocery selection - meat and fruit and vegetables. We thought Jarabacoa but the commute might be too far. We also are bringing our dog so we would like a house. We are trusting gringos so the safer the better. :)

Last edited:

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
We are hoping not to live in fear. We are the gringos. Poverty can make people do things that they usually wouldn't do. :( We understand not trusting the greedy ones.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
As mentioned above most people live in Cotui (closest good size town). It's not a really large town, but good size enough that you'd get a mid size supermarket and other amenities such as the largest man made lake in the Caribbean - Good for picnics, exercising, fishing, etc.)...and if you can't find what you need there you can always go to San Francisco de Macoris which is a much larger town with at least a Walmart sized store (La Sirena).

Piedra Blanca is not a bad option if you don't mind living in a small town, but it's a little bit farther commute than Cotui. Housing in Cotui BTW has gotten a lot more expensive since BG came to town as there's now a bit of a housing shortage. Still not as expensive as other larger towns. BG has their own transportation from Cotui to the mine (I see hundreds of people every morning waiting for their buses to come by). In terms of cooler parts of the country you're not going to find much of that unless you live up in the mountains (Jarabacoa, Constanza, etc)...

PM me for more info if you decide on Cotui.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I noticed that people who come to live in the DR for work do just fine and have few problems.
It is the ones who come here to laze around that seem to get in a pickle.

By the way, I used to stay occasionally in a town with your username, years ago.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We are hoping not to live in fear. We are the gringos. Poverty can make people do things that they usually wouldn't do. :( We understand not trusting the greedy ones.

You should be ok, just use your common sense and again always get references, no matter who it is. Your colleagues at BG can get you started in that regard and DR1 is useful.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Although Jarabacoa is safe and is a lot cooler, I am afraid you will find the supermarkets a big disappointment. The farmer's market for fruit and vegetables is very nice though as far as selection goes.

For the rest you would have to travel to La Vega (25 minutes) or Santiago (40 minutes)

pinyon

Jan 17, 2012
Where would be the closest town that has a cooler climate? I have looked at maps and can't really tell. Thanks for all the info.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Where would be the closest town that has a cooler climate? I have looked at maps and can't really tell. Thanks for all the info.

Jarabacoa. BTW most of these towns (Cotui, Bonao, etc) are surrounded by hills / small mountains so even though it may not be as cool as Jarabacoa or Constanza you could find a house that's in a place with plenty of breeze to keep you cool.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Come and join us in Maimon, which is the closest!!! We have a beautiful and large lake 15 minutes away and jet ski every weekend. We also got four wheelers and you can ride from Maimon to Jarrabacoa if you want. We got two nice restaurants and an excellent pizza place. Ex-pat community of miners is growing. Most work at the Cerro de Maimon copper mine. Shopping in SD or Bonao is an easy drive. Cheers! PM me if you want more info.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
My sister works at the mine and she's currently living in Bonao, wich is probably the best town for any sort of immediate activity (La Sirena, Tipico Bonao, banks, etc etc)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A friend of mine's wife commutes to the mine from here in Santiago. I do believe that Barrick provided the transportation.

You will probably find the best accommodations in either Santiago or La Vega, and really, if you don't mind going up and down a mountain every day, Jarabacoa should be no problem.

HB

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, This is only the right choice for some- lots of gold mine families living in Cabarete, in particular at Ocean Point 2 right on the beach. Long drive, of course, but Cabarete has quite a bit to offer. Over 30 nationalities living here.

Miners are ONLY home on the weekends. Never have asked where they stay during the week.

Driving can be stressful and at many times dangerous here, so if it was me would probably want to live somewhere closer, but thought I'd mention for your info.