Meet the Dominican Republic!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
VERY NICE!!!!
I will look at your "Pretty Pictures" every time I have to pay 1,300 pesos to have a water truck fill my cisterna.
To bad the DR doesn't have "Drinking Water", or "Electricity".
"Malls", We GOT!
People can go there to get a drink of water, take a $HIT< and read a book after dark!
Pathetic use of scarce resources!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
It's known as selective photography. I wish someone would take and post pictures of the real Santo Domingo.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What about Zona Oriental and the east side? You know, the part that makes up the other 50% of the city.

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
PICHARDO, et al.
I have some questions. Does the DR have building codes for all those towers, like a fire code, etc.? How about sprinklers in every floor and fire escape stairs? Forget about seismic requirements, that would probably be too much to ask, but I would like to know if anybody oversees all this.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
What about Zona Oriental and the east side? You know, the part that makes up the other 50% of the city.
Technically, that's another city in another province. lol

Santo Domingo is the capital of the country and this is limited to the National District, not the province of Santo Domingo or any of the municipalities that exist there.

That's why after crossing into the National District via de Juan Bosch bridge, there is a sign on the right welcoming everyone to the city of Santo Domingo. In the opposite directions (at least via de Duarte and Mella bridges, don't know if its the same after the floating and De la 17 bridges) there are signs welcoming everyone to the city of Santo Domingo Este.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It's known as selective photography. I wish someone would take and post pictures of the real Santo Domingo.

What you mean, trash ridden streets, rats the size of large acts, insane traffic, barrio lynchings, drug wars, paedophiles impregnating daughters and walking out of court smiling, electrocuted pedestrians, multiple traffic deaths, public hospitals with waiting queues out onto the filthy streets and around the block, malls with lots of people but empty shops, PN with brand new vehicles but apparently no gas, government offices used to conduct the biggest drug deals in the country, brand new parks on the malecon reduced to a graffiti ridden hovel murder hotspots in less than a year, man made beach converted into the crack heads poo pot, what more do you want, it's all there, you can try all you like to polish a turd.................

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

Why don`t you do that? Why do you want Pichardo to do it?

I think both types of pictures serve a great purpose here on DR1. Sometimes this site turns out to be the first place of reference that people find online about the DR . Some people think that there are no cars in the DR and that everyone uses wagons for transportation, others think that the whole DR is like a big all inclusive resort.

You can leave the pretty pics to Pichardo and open a thread with the type of pics you`d really like to see here.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

Here's a quote from the photo set

I had the privilege of visiting Puerto Plata with my Dad, Lili and the Petaluma Sunrise Rotary Club once more, in connection with a project they've been working on in a rural school about 40 min from the city. Puerto Plata itself is colorful, but the downtown is a bit sad -- desperate for tourism. I think the city has a lot of potential.

Nice photos and yes the city has a lot of potential. Puerto Plata once was a tourist hotspot and they lost ground to other sites because of bad decisions and bad attitudes.

May 12, 2005
Here's a quote from the photo set

I had the privilege of visiting Puerto Plata with my Dad, Lili and the Petaluma Sunrise Rotary Club once more, in connection with a project they've been working on in a rural school about 40 min from the city. Puerto Plata itself is colorful, but the downtown is a bit sad -- desperate for tourism. I think the city has a lot of potential.

Nice photos and yes the city has a lot of potential. Puerto Plata once was a tourist hotspot and they lost ground to other sites because of bad decisions and bad attitudes.

Complacency. Complacency is mediocrity at best.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Why don`t you do that? Why do you want Pichardo to do it?

I think both types of pictures serve a great purpose here on DR1. Sometimes this site turns out to be the first place of reference that people find online about the DR . Some people think that there are no cars in the DR and that everyone uses wagons for transportation, others think that the whole DR is like a big all inclusive resort.

You can leave the pretty pics to Pichardo and open a thread with the type of pics you`d really like to see here.
I would but I'd have to travel there which I only do if I really have no choice.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
What you mean, trash ridden streets, rats the size of large acts, insane traffic, barrio lynchings, drug wars, paedophiles impregnating daughters and walking out of court smiling, electrocuted pedestrians, multiple traffic deaths, public hospitals with waiting queues out onto the filthy streets and around the block, malls with lots of people but empty shops, PN with brand new vehicles but apparently no gas, government offices used to conduct the biggest drug deals in the country, brand new parks on the malecon reduced to a graffiti ridden hovel murder hotspots in less than a year, man made beach converted into the crack heads poo pot, what more do you want, it's all there, you can try all you like to polish a turd.................
You forgot the stench comming from the morgue when they have no electricity or no more room the the fridges.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Complacency. Complacency is mediocrity at best.

Not really!

PP was born in effect out for servicing the internal tourism sector, never geared towards foreigners well until past its heyday.

Metro or Caribe tours didn't even start servicing the Santiago/PP route well until the local tourists made it the place to be on weekends or long holidays.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Reading what some people write about DR, I have to wonder where they are from. Traffic accidents, drug wars, corrupt police, non-working health care systems, pedophiles, sociopaths...it all sounds a lot like...ANYWHERE

Just because we refuse to see the truth back home, it doesn't mean it is not the truth...