Who trains these idiots?

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I wear prescription glasses for my high myopia. My prescription glasses are designed in a way that the lenses turn dark whenever I step outside during the day, to block and protect against the sunrays. I bought those prescription glasses right here in the DR.

Today around noon though I went to collect a money transfer I sent to myself at BHD bank. Security guard absolutely wouldn't let me in unless I took off my glasses. I can't see shit without my prescription glasses. They aren't some fashion accessory I wear to look cool, I literally need them to see and drive.
I stopped and told the security guard "no puedo" 3 times (as he kept insisting), and then managed to walk into the bank anyway.

This idiot followed inside the bank and even in the line-up, nagging me about my glasses. Couldn't even see the clerk's face clearly standing just 10 feet away from her without my glasses.

Are these guys on a power trip? Or just plain ignorant of the fact that some people actually wear dark-tinted glasses out of necessity?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I wear the same type of glasses with transition lenses, and I am in the BHD at least ten times a week and the security guards has never said anything to me. Do your glasses look like aviation lenses?

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I wear the same type of glasses with transition lenses, and I am in the BHD at least ten times a week and the security guards has never said anything to me. Do your glasses look like aviation lenses?
Not even.

They look like regular glasses. Like these ones but with dark lenses:

https://www.warbyparker.com/eyeglasses/chamberlain/olive-matte?w=medium

I guess he was just on a powertrip. Or he didnt realize i was a foreigner and took me for a tiguere or something.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
All banks in DR have the rule 'no sunglasses inside the bank'. If your glasses have dark lenses, then you look like you are wearing sunglasses. You can try to explain them about your prescription situation every time you enter any bank, or you may buy another pair with clear lenses to wear inside banks.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You can't wear dark glasses in a bank, but you have transition lenses. Didn't they turn clear when you went inside? No caps or hats either. I was in BHD bank a couple days ago and the security guard asked a man to take his cap off.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I had no cap
You can't wear dark glasses in a bank, but you have transition lenses. Didn't they turn clear when you went inside? No caps or hats either. I was in BHD bank a couple days ago and the security guard asked a man to take his cap off.
they do turn clear, but after a few minutes. Not immediately when I step foot in the bank and the security dude is guarding the entrance.

I had no hat either (I knew about that rule.)

• Haha
Reactions: XQT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No dark lenses, no hats, no guns, and probably no Cuba Libre's have been the rule in banks for quite some time. If I ran into that slow transitioning lens problem more than once, I would get a second pair of glasses that are not "auto darkening" but rather are clear all the time just for such cases. But that is just me.

Can you still wear a face mask into a bank? If still possible, think about that for a moment..

Reactions: DR fan1990

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have the same type of glasses. All you have to do is stand in the shade for a couple of minutes and they are clear before you enter............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have the same type of glasses. All you have to do is stand in the shade for a couple of minutes and they are clear before you enter............
30 seconds is now well past most peoples ever limiting attention spans.

As I understand it, not all such lenses are created equal.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have oftened wonder why removing a hat is mandatory in EdeNorte and Banks but not facemasks ? Covid must have saved a lot of robbers from being ID'd.
I walk into EdeNorte every month with two bills in my hand and must remove my cap because robbers always plan to rob a guarded utility by carrying in bills and then waiting in line.
Robbers come in two or more, they are younger and with a getaway car or moto outside running and they rush in, they don't walk in carrying utility bills with their address on it, and certainly aren't half-blind older gringos with glasses and arthritic knees who can't get out of the bank after they rob it to their getaway car in less than a pain-filled couple of minutes.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

Buck

Oct 22, 2019
The same goes for backing into parking spaces at a particular Sosua bank. It's parking lot is right off Hwy 5, so I back in to make it way easier and safer to exit when I finish. Security guard told me I had to pull in, because only thieves back in to make a fast getaway. Nevermind that my license plate is now visible to the cameras, that doesn't matter at all. He was physically barring me from accessing the bank with a pout on his face. Good thing the ATM was outside.

• Haha
Reactions: windeguy

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Can't you just take off the glasses, walk inside wait a few seconds or longer and then put them back on. Most of the times it's not worth trying to argue or make sense of something here.

I was told once that I could not use the outside drive through without a car (I had my dogs with me so it was easier). So next time I brought a little toy car with me. The guard had the biggest stupid look on his
face. I was laughing so hard and he ended up laughing. Not I tie my dogs outside the front door and go inside.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
I wear prescription glasses for my high myopia. My prescription glasses are designed in a way that the lenses turn dark whenever I step outside during the day, to block and protect against the sunrays. I bought those prescription glasses right here in the DR.

Today around noon though I went to collect a money transfer I sent to myself at BHD bank. Security guard absolutely wouldn't let me in unless I took off my glasses. I can't see shit without my prescription glasses. They aren't some fashion accessory I wear to look cool, I literally need them to see and drive.
I stopped and told the security guard "no puedo" 3 times (as he kept insisting), and then managed to walk into the bank anyway.

This idiot followed inside the bank and even in the line-up, nagging me about my glasses. Couldn't even see the clerk's face clearly standing just 10 feet away from her without my glasses.

Are these guys on a power trip? Or just plain ignorant of the fact that some people actually wear dark-tinted glasses out of necessity?
The security guard is an uneducated poor person.
He has no idea what photochromic lenses are.

No caps, no glasses is, what he was told.
Those people do not have the intelligence to use rules in a discretionary way, applied to certain situations.
The rule is the rule.

The only possible way to alleviate this situation, is to talk to the branch manager.

I once parked my motorcycle under a tree at Playero parking lot in a tropical downpour, in an empty lot to go shopping.
He would not let me stay put.
Once I came back out I informed him that I talked to the manager about his idiocy.
He said man, you are going to cost me my job.
I suggested that he uses intelligence and discretion to apply rules.

An impossible task for those people.

Similar to Punjabi security guards in Canadian banks.
Wearing a turban, they tell people to take off their baseball caps.

Reactions: DR fan1990

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
The same goes for backing into parking spaces at a particular Sosua bank. It's parking lot is right off Hwy 5, so I back in to make it way easier and safer to exit when I finish. Security guard told me I had to pull in, because only thieves back in to make a fast getaway. Nevermind that my license plate is now visible to the cameras, that doesn't matter at all. He was physically barring me from accessing the bank with a pout on his face. Good thing the ATM was outside.
That's what we are dealing with in DR.
And buying a second set of clear glasses to do banking in the DR. :ROFLMAO:

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I think I go into a bank once a year. When walking through Belle Vista mall I am always amazed at the number of people inside the banks.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
No dark lenses, no hats, no guns, and probably no Cuba Libre's have been the rule in banks for quite some time
'No guns' rule is not in all banks. Let's say, BanReservas branches in SD have a sign on the doors and in some branches security guards have handheld metal detectors. Banco Popular doesn't say anything about guns, so as soon as nobody can see it, that's OK (but it's a general rule for carrying a gun here, it's must be concealed). That's one of the reasons why I use Banco Popular only and never use BanReservas, why would I use a bank where I can't enter with a gun legally?

• Wow
Reactions: drstock