Default New IKEA photos

Opens at 1pm on Feb 17.

Interiorismo Blog

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

In the D.R. - RIP OFF!!!

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

no, the prices are fine, from i have seen in a catalogue. but i am afraid it will not take fancy of dominicans: too light, too modern and too cheap looking.
    but i will sail there straight away to buy sofa camas

Stay Frosty!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    no, the prices are fine, from i have seen in a catalogue. but i am afraid it will not take fancy of dominicans: too light, too modern and too cheap looking.
    but i will sail there straight away to buy sofa camas
    I disagree, it might not be to the taste of those Dominicans living in Zona Oriental etc, but all the Dominicans I have spoken to have told me they are dying to get inside IKEA and buy. I have no doubt IKEA will do very well here.

The capital must have 10+ contemporary furniture stores, the largest being Ilumel which is HUGE and super expensive! These types of stores are going to take a hit.

Post Thanks / Like

my point is that rich dominicans will buy expensive anyways.
    poor dominicans will never be able to afford ikea.
    middle class dominicans are traditionalists who go with caoba nine times out of ten.
    so who will buy there once the novelty wears out?

Post Thanks / Like

The novelty may not wear off that quickly. If you look at other places where IKEA set up shop it succeeded in changing people's tastes drastically.

IKEA could even make "chuck out your mahogany tentacles" ads for the DR market but it doesn't trip off the tongue quite the same way.

Post Thanks / Like

all this time i have been in DR i saw only one home with modern decor and not a square inch of caoba in sight. i think mahogany roots go deep into the hearts of dominicans
    but alas, all is possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Most people I know in Punta Cana are Dominican but they all have modern look (Ilumel or similar) furniture. I haven't seen mahogany tentacles here at all. In the capital it was a bit of both.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

i am excited not necessarily for the big furniture pieces, which i have never been keen on, but the smaller items that help decorate a house. That and the kids furniture, storage/bookcases, and kitchen items will carry it far. Also, with good prices and a store design that doesn't allow you to leave the store buying only what you went for (I can't count the number of times I left IKEA thinking they got me again with a full bag, but still happy!)

My prediction is it will do very well and be a staple for many, many families!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Robert has a point. The locally made furniture is some of the most uncomfortable I have ever seen. Some of it also reminds me of the gaudy stuff I saw in Sri Lanka. For that reason alone Ikea stands a chance to do some business just because it is so different.

Let us know how good the sofa cama is.
    When you see a Dominican buying a product "because is comfortable" let me know, looks sells everything in the DR.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast