New IKEA photos

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
There does not seem to be a way to order on line and have products delivered as yet.

I dont think that IKEA have ever done that. At least not the stores in the UK or mainland Europe. You couldn't even reserve an item over the phone. All they could do was check their stock and confirm if an item was available for collection. It was up to you to risk driving there and collecting it that day and hope that it hadn't sold out.

Although it did start a string of new enterprises where people would advertise in the local paper offering a collection and assembly service.

Possibly a viable enterprise here?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominican Maids Can't !!!!!

To get their water/soap powder/clorox bleach mixture onto that IKEA finished "Chip Board"!!!! MELTS LIKE BUTTER!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ikea will be a big hit in DR, starting today.
They will sell out faster than you can say "wowwwww?"
People in SD and many parts of santiago will rip the place apart. The fancy offices in SD will have new furniture soon. IKEA will set the new art-deco furniture standard in DR among many people. People in SD will gladly pay the prices ikea is asking, hell, they will even pay more if they have to.
AZB

May 8, 2009
Opens at 1pm on Feb 17.

Interiorismo Blog

I like this quote in the blog-

Nos dieron la libertad de examinar todos los detalles que dese?ramos para comprobar la calidad y comodidad de sus muebles. Tocar las telas, abrir gavetas, probar las luminarias, las camas

So we can actually sit in a chair before we buy it??? Nothing better then getting yelled at for trying out a chair at a furniture store before you buy it. Let me tell ya. It's happened to me more than once.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
I don't understand?

With DR-CAFTA in effect, and with furniture being one of the categories exempted from import duties why aren't people shopping online at US furniture stores? For example, Ashley Furniture Home is a website for a growing high quality low cost furniture chain of stores. You can shop their online showroom. When they have one of their sales call an Ashley store near a shipper (e.g. NYC with Montero Shipping). Have the store deliver to the shipper (sales tax free!) and 10 days and $US500 (shipping cost) later a living room set like this Series Name: Allendale - Mist | Item Name: PACKAGE ITEM | Model #: 99600L1 shows up at your door in SD. The stores take CC payments over the phone or you can pay the shipper in the DR. Total cost, including shipping, of a high quality leather 7 piece living room set is less that $US2500 and you never have to leave your house! Here in the US IKEA can't compete.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
shipping cost is only $500 from the US?

are you sure the furniture wouldn't get held in customs even though its supposed to be exempt?

Jan 9, 2004
Probably because not enough...

With DR-CAFTA in effect, and with furniture being one of the categories exempted from import duties why aren't people shopping online at US furniture stores? For example, Ashley Furniture Home is a website for a growing high quality low cost furniture chain of stores. You can shop their online showroom. When they have one of their sales call an Ashley store near a shipper (e.g. NYC with Montero Shipping). Have the store deliver to the shipper (sales tax free!) and 10 days and $US500 (shipping cost) later a living room set like this Series Name: Allendale - Mist | Item Name: PACKAGE ITEM | Model #: 99600L1 shows up at your door in SD. The stores take CC payments over the phone or you can pay the shipper in the DR. Total cost, including shipping, of a high quality leather 7 piece living room set is less that $US2500 and you never have to leave your house! Here in the US IKEA can't compete.

manufacturers are aware of DR/CAFTA, or as is more likely the case, their goods do not meet the rules of origin/percent of content required under the agreement.

And, if they did, it would be necessary to comply with the agreement and give customers/importers the correct forms pertaining to origin/content to avoid the duty.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My number one worry with the DR-CAFTA deal is that so much (a majority) of furniture now sold in the US is made in China.

hb

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominicans like to look, feel, inspect furniture (or clothing, or most of anything) before buying. Several Dominican stores offer the option of buying furniture via online, but most people prefer to go to the store. Until the internet can offer the satisfaction such actions create in a person, internet furniture sales will continue to be dismal.

By the way, that's one clever spam post. ;)

Reactions: Celt202

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I doubt it is spam, Nals. Looks like a genuine third party recommendation from an established poster, unlike most spam which comes from first time posters.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Have you done this?

May 29, 2006
I don't think IKEA in the DR is going to be perceived as low end furniture. In the US they compete mostly with Target and to some extent Pier One, but they are still a big step up from the crap they sell at Wal Mart. It really does mark a HUGE investment for a foreign retailer and that the Dominican middle class is acheivable by a much greater part of the country than even ten years ago. Not many Dominicans will be able to fully furnish their homes with IKEA, but I bet many will want to get something from the store just for the status value that they have a piece of the middle class lifestyle.

Fight Club Ikea Catalogue Scene — Critical Commons

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
My experience

shipping cost is only $500 from the US?

are you sure the furniture wouldn't get held in customs even though its supposed to be exempt?

For the 7 piece living room set in the picture I paid $US640 in Dec before DR-CAFTA. but that also included the large rug in the picture. Montero Shipping deals with customs as part of their price and they even set up the furniture in your house. They have an office in SD near Megacentral.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Furniture origin

My number one worry with the DR-CAFTA deal is that so much (a majority) of furniture now sold in the US is made in China.

hb

Most furniture sold in the US is manufactured near Hi Point, North Carolina. A Google search will bring up over 20 factory/showrooms in that area. All Ashley furniture is made in Wisconsin.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
CC's not going to like this but...

Dominicans like to look, feel, inspect furniture (or clothing, or most of anything) before buying. Several Dominican stores offer the option of buying furniture via online, but most people prefer to go to the store. Until the internet can offer the satisfaction such actions create in a person, internet furniture sales will continue to be dismal.

By the way, that's one clever spam post. ;)

You are correct. You need a certain level of confidence, sopistication, credit worthiness, and proficiency in English to deal with foreign stores and shippers over the phone from the DR. My post was targeted to the readers of this forum who by and large have those traits. For most Dominicans it's a non-starter. For the person willing to take this route you can take advantage of aggressive sales in these US stores, not pay sales tax in either country, and have delivered to your door quality items at great prices. This is what I have on the way now: Series Name: Leighton | Item Name: PACKAGE ITEM | Model #: B577B1
Notice the drawers under the bed, great idea!

As for the spaming, I wish I was. Ashley Furniture is a fast growing US chain of incredible furniture based in my home state of Wisconsin where all of their furniture is made but what they offer is not unique. There are many retailers in the US with sales and stores near shippers. As for shilling for the shipper I have no connection with Montero other than having used them with great satisfaction. I do, however, think that shipping companies shipping from the US to the DR are going to multiply and enjoy a 10 year boom. With the removal of custom duties do you really think that Plaza Lama with their six levels of middlemen and theives can compete with a sales tax free direct shipment from a US retailer to your door in the DR. If you would put a Sears store with US pricing in the middle of Santo Domingo there would be a feeding frenzy, and these shippers only add one layer of cost to that dynamic.

Jan 9, 2004
I must agree with...

Most furniture sold in the US is manufactured near Hi Point, North Carolina. A Google search will bring up over 20 factory/showrooms in that area. All Ashley furniture is made in Wisconsin.

HB that most furniture sold in the U.S. is imported. Further, Ashley according to their own website sources product and components overseas. Last evening I visted a local furniture store in search of a new dining room table. I asked the salesman if they carried any Ashley furniture and he showed me several pieces. The first two were made in China and Vietnam respectively. I did not bother continuing. Neither of those pieces qualify under DR/CAFTA.

Additionally, most, if not all white goods (stoves refrigerators etc.), the exception, I believe, being Whirlpool, are not Made in the U.S.A. or a signatory to the agreement and thus not a part of DR/CAFTA.

But, I do believe you have touched upon something I too have known and done for some time...and that is use a reliable door to door shipper. I know you do pay duty and freight with these shippers, but because of their relations at Aduana, it is probably much less than attempting to bring goods in yourself. And yes, it is a pleasure to have the truck roll up and deliver to the exact spot you want those items.

Finally, having shipped three automobiles to the D.R., I am aware of the sales tax avoidance by exporting the vehicle. But, sales tax is only collected when the automobile is registered in your respective state, so exporting negates the need to pay. My question then is how would you, or how did you, avoid sales tax on furniture since, on these items, tax is collected from you at the point of sale?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Where do I start?

High Point, North Carolina is the furniture manufacturing capital of the United states with millions of pieces manufactured each year.
High Point, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It has hundreds of plants like this throughout the Carolinas
Braxton Culler: About Us

I have no doubt that Playacaribe2 saw some Ashley pieces manufactured in China and it's possible these pieces never even passed through the US as Ashley outsources one third of it's manufacturing overseas, however, as the company history below describes Ashley manufactures fully two thirds of its furniture in the US. In US stores the stock is 90% US made.

Company History:
Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. is the fifth largest furniture manufacturer in the United States. It makes a full line of home furnishings, including upholstered living room sets, bedroom furniture and bedding, recliners and other so-called motion furniture with moving parts, and wood furniture. Its wood line is perhaps its best known. The company pioneered tough, shiny tables and cabinets laminated with a virtually indestructible polyester finish in the mid-1980s and stood out in the industry for the daring of its contemporary designs and colors. Ashley maintains manufacturing facilities in Arcadia, Wisconsin and in nearby Whitehall and Independence, Wisconsin, and has warehouses and distribution centers in New Jersey, Florida, and California. Ashley also owns an upholstery plant in Ecru, Mississippi and another facility in Ripley, Mississippi. The company manufactures approximately two-thirds of its products, with the remaining third imported from Asia. Ashley also licenses a chain of stores called Ashley Furniture Homestores, with close to 40 stores operated by independent dealers in areas where the company does not otherwise have strong distribution. Located in the west central portion of Wisconsin, Ashley is far from the hub of furniture manufacturing in the United States, which centers around North Carolina. The firm is privately held by Chief Executive Officer Ron Wanek, Vice-Chairman and co-founder Chuck Vogel, and their sons.

The threshold for qualifying vehicles is 35% US made so I'm sure the vast majority of this furniture qualifies for exemption under DR-CAFTA.

As for "white goods" - Whirlpool manufactures their own brand as well as Maytag and Kenmore (Sears vast network of appliances). The finest of all, Amana, is made by the Amish in PA.
From Wikipedia:
Whirlpool's global and North American headquarters are in Benton Harbor, Michigan. In the U.S., Whirlpool has manufacturing facilities in Fort Smith, Arkansas; Evansville, Indiana; Iowa (Newton and Amana); Tulsa, Oklahoma; Ohio (Clyde, Findlay, Greenville and Marion); and Cleveland, Tennessee.
It's easy to say everything is made in China, and maybe some day it may well be that way but as for now there are many wonderful products made in the US that are eligible for duty free importation into the DR under DR-CAFTA.
Regarding the state sales taxes:
Most retailers located near shippers have experience with goods designated for export and are very helpful to the customer. If you are dealing with a retailer that is unaware of how to proceed your shipper can contact them to explain the process. IT requires a shipping bill of lading from the shipper be faxed to the retailer and they must deliver directly to that shipper for the goods to be sales tax exempt. This has never been a problem.

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks for the correction...

High Point, North Carolina is the furniture manufacturing capital of the United states with millions of pieces manufactured each year.
High Point, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It has hundreds of plants like this throughout the Carolinas
Braxton Culler: About Us

I have no doubt that Playacaribe2 saw some Ashley pieces manufactured in China and it's possible these pieces never even passed through the US as Ashley outsources one third of it's manufacturing overseas, however, as the company history below describes Ashley manufactures fully two thirds of its furniture in the US. In US stores the stock is 90% US made.

Company History:
Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. is the fifth largest furniture manufacturer in the United States. It makes a full line of home furnishings, including upholstered living room sets, bedroom furniture and bedding, recliners and other so-called motion furniture with moving parts, and wood furniture. Its wood line is perhaps its best known. The company pioneered tough, shiny tables and cabinets laminated with a virtually indestructible polyester finish in the mid-1980s and stood out in the industry for the daring of its contemporary designs and colors. Ashley maintains manufacturing facilities in Arcadia, Wisconsin and in nearby Whitehall and Independence, Wisconsin, and has warehouses and distribution centers in New Jersey, Florida, and California. Ashley also owns an upholstery plant in Ecru, Mississippi and another facility in Ripley, Mississippi. The company manufactures approximately two-thirds of its products, with the remaining third imported from Asia. Ashley also licenses a chain of stores called Ashley Furniture Homestores, with close to 40 stores operated by independent dealers in areas where the company does not otherwise have strong distribution. Located in the west central portion of Wisconsin, Ashley is far from the hub of furniture manufacturing in the United States, which centers around North Carolina. The firm is privately held by Chief Executive Officer Ron Wanek, Vice-Chairman and co-founder Chuck Vogel, and their sons.

The threshold for qualifying vehicles is 35% US made so I'm sure the vast majority of this furniture qualifies for exemption under DR-CAFTA.

As for "white goods" - Whirlpool manufactures their own brand as well as Maytag and Kenmore (Sears vast network of appliances). The finest of all, Amana, is made by the Amish in PA.
From Wikipedia:
Whirlpool's global and North American headquarters are in Benton Harbor, Michigan. In the U.S., Whirlpool has manufacturing facilities in Fort Smith, Arkansas; Evansville, Indiana; Iowa (Newton and Amana); Tulsa, Oklahoma; Ohio (Clyde, Findlay, Greenville and Marion); and Cleveland, Tennessee.
It's easy to say everything is made in China, and maybe some day it may well be that way but as for now there are many wonderful products made in the US that are eligible for duty free importation into the DR under DR-CAFTA.
Regarding the state sales taxes:
Most retailers located near shippers have experience with goods designated for export and are very helpful to the customer. If you are dealing with a retailer that is unaware of how to proceed your shipper can contact them to explain the process. IT requires a shipping bill of lading from the shipper be faxed to the retailer and they must deliver directly to that shipper for the goods to be sales tax exempt. This has never been a problem.

on Ashley. After my visit to the furniture store and being shown the manufacture origin tags, it became obvious all Ashley stuff could not be made in Wisconsin. Most companies nowadays have to integrate some foreign sourced product to stay in business.

As to Whirlpool and there correspondent brands, they are about the only U.S. manufacturer making appliances here. Sub-zero and Viking are the others that I am aware of.

Someone should update Wiki, because the Newton, Ia facility, formerly Amana headquarters, has been closed for sometime now. Ditto the the Whirlpool facility in Tulsa, OK. And, I do not believe Amana appliances were ever made in PA.

Thanks for the advice on the sales tax/bill of lading/shipper issue.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2