Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile value of a gun here in the DR

I bought a 9mm Dawoo, which is the designated weapon of South Koreas army and police forces, about three years ago. Its a legal, registered pistol in excellent condition. Only fired out the window a few times to scare off patio thieves. Its a model DP 51 with a 14 round capacity. It has no rust and all its original bluing. Anyone have any idea how I would go about finding out its value?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you pay for the pistol?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

wouldn't that depend on who was holding it?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Daewoo DP 51 is a Korean knock off a CZ 9mm Czech handgun, which in itself was a copy of a Beretta 9mm. How much did you pay for it $300?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile gun value

Three years ago we paid $1200 more or less. That included all the checks, test fire and the psychological exam about which we still from time to time get a laugh. The psychological consisted of one question - "do you like your mother?". I know the value in the US but here its hard to determine the real costs for the pistol from all the add ons that were involved in the DR.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink interesting

Thanks Racer x. So its a knock off of a knock off of a Berettal. I have always liked the Beretta 9mms but did not recognize mine as a copy. Its been a very reliable gun.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it make sense to go to a gun shop and ask how much it would cost to buy the gun that you already own?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile thanks

Good thinking Senor. Next time I am in Santiago or SD I will go and check. I posted this because I have no idea when I will be traveling and expected that there were some gun guys on the site who would be willing to share their knowledge. Also its a used gun. Thanks for the input

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    Good thinking Senor. Next time I am in Santiago or SD I will go and check. I posted this because I have no idea when I will be traveling and expected that there were some gun guys on the site who would be willing to share their knowledge. Also its a used gun. Thanks for the input
    Dominicans expect to get the same price or more for things they buy and later sell.
    Mainly because they want to buy for less than it's worth, but sell for more than it's worth.

The gun shop can probably get you a general price.
    Your gun does not sound like the typical 9mm people would own, and thus probably have no idea what it is worth.

Don

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's an example

I have a Beretta 84B .380 cal semi-automatic pistol, which was manufactured in Italy. I purchased it in NYC in 1981 for $325. I was in a gun shop in Santiago in August 2009 and saw the same gun on display. I asked what the price was and was told $145,000 pesos. I was shocked to find that this gun was approximately $4,000 USD. I went on line and found that this gun can still be purchased (used) in the US for anywhere from $400 to $600 USD. I was also told by the dealer in Santiago that no guns can be imported by a private citizen, nor can a previously owned, legal gun from another country, be registered in The DR by the owner. Makes me wonder what kind of guns do local Dominicans carry when the salaries earned there are not indicative of what they might pay for a "decent" gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast