Dominican Terrorist Arrested at JFK

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm not surprised in the least bit as there have been at least another Hispanic recruited by Islamic terrorists in the US.

Not to worry, that won't happen here in the DR as there is little animosity between the "blacks" and "whites" for the terrorists to try to take advantage of.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm not surprised in the least bit as there have been at least another Hispanic recruited by Islamic terrorists in the US.

Not to worry, that won't happen here in the DR as there is little animosity between the "blacks" and "whites" for the terrorists to try to take advantage of.

I have to tell you Chip, I was shocked to read it was a Dominican, just not something I ever expected to hear. We always tease my husband when he gets extra attention at the airport [he does have a rather southern European/Arabic look to him] and scoffed at the idea of a Dominican terrorist. Guess I'd better keep my scoffing to myself...:ermm:

AE

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Animosity between blacks and whites has nothing to do with terrorism in the US and elsewhere :tired:

ratbastard

May 15, 2010
Absurd!

Quite frankly I'm astounded that one would have the gall to make such a statement without including supporting evidence/documentation.

At face value it appears a personal belief you seek to convey as fact.

If what you say is true and supported by credible sources then I will stand corrected. Please include the reason you opted to post w/o substantiation.
ratbastard

cibaenopuro

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 27, 2010
hes a palestanian american who was born in the dr he is only a dominican by birth and his parents were probably just tourists who gave birth while on vacation or something. my cousin was born in russia and is a russian citizen but she knows nothing about that place and doesn't even care.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
hes a palestanian american who was born in the dr he is only a dominican by birth and his parents were probably just tourists who gave birth while on vacation or something. my cousin was born in russia and is a russian citizen but she knows nothing about that place and doesn't even care.

Where did you read that? US news is saying the other fellow was born in US to Pakistani parents, but Almonte [certainly a Dominican surname] was born in DR and naturalized in USA.

AE

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I'm pretty sure this guy was not very connected to Dominican culture.

I agree with you, he probably come to USA as a toddler and his parents didn't bother to keep him connected to his Dominican culture. When they saw sign of trouble they shouldn't had sent him back to the DR like many Dominican parents do every year when their kids tried to get out of control.

I just hope the USA won't try to take his citizenship away and deport him back to the DR, because he was indoctrinated here in the U.S. so this is an American problem not a Dominican problem. And if they try, if I were the DR government I won't take him back as we don't have terrorist problems.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Where did you read that? US news is saying the other fellow was born in US to Pakistani parents, but Almonte [certainly a Dominican surname] was born in DR and naturalized in USA.

AE

Based on the NYT he was born in the U.S. to Jordanian and Palestinian parents not Pakistani.

A law enforcement official said that Mr. Almonte, a naturalized United States citizen, was born in the Dominican Republic, and Mr. Alessa was born in the United States to Palestinian and Jordanian parents.

Two Arrested at Kennedy Airport on Terror Charges - NYTimes.com

Mar 1, 2009
It's not just a thing concerning the blacks vs the whites. When it comes to islam it also has to do with the allure of a foreign culture that rejects almost all or as many things western as it can. Growing up in the USA or in a western christian culture is not satisfying to many and islam may have provided the answers he was looking for. Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaida's greatest strength do not lie in the bombs or bullets it can throw or shoot, but in it's ability to inspire and draw others to it that are willing to carry out those attacks.

Nidal Hassan
Jose Padilla,
Adam Ghadan

An arab american, a Puerto Rican and a regular middle class white guy. These guys we're inspired by the message and felt it their duty or feel it is their duty to carry out jihad-harb against infidels. Islamic beliefs could hold sway in DR if an islamic charity comes in building homes, free health care and offering other incentives such as sending the students to study abroad.

I'm not saying it will but it could. This guy Almonte probably was disconnected from his Dominican culture, then again maybe he wasn't and he liked bachata and ate mangu. However he decided that following the prophet of islam and practicing violence was the better option for him. Point is a muslim could be anyone and they could be anywhere, not trying to be sinister either, just saying don't confine it to black vs white, because it's much more complex.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Animosity between blacks and whites has nothing to do with terrorism in the US and elsewhere :tired:

I agree.

However, blacks and others who feel marginilized by the "white man" are actively recruited by extremists:

Two New Jersey men arrested on terrorism charges | D.C. Now | Los Angeles Times

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Congressional Testimony

This link isn't from a terrorist group but nonetheless I think is informative and relevant to the discussiion:

Lost-Found Muslim Lesson No. 2

?

? bient?t

?Diablo! Another Almonte to the Hall of Shame!

Who will break the spell?

Junot Diaz, now that you are in the "write" place, pay close attention to the next great thing since Sherman Alexei.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I agree.

However, blacks and others who feel marginilized by the "white man" are actively recruited by extremists:

Two New Jersey men arrested on terrorism charges | D.C. Now | Los Angeles Times

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Congressional Testimony

This link isn't from a terrorist group but nonetheless I think is informative and relevant to the discussiion:

Lost-Found Muslim Lesson No. 2

In theory, yes, but they haven't been successful yet. And, I would go further and state that Blacks are not actively targeted by Islamic extremists.

The nation of Islam is also very very different. I can tell you that mainstream Muslim see them like a sect (kinda like an African-Americanized version of Islam). Yes, they have an animosity towards the "white men", but I haven't heard of any terrorists recruited among them either.

This is not a Black and White issue.

Why does everything in America has to be a Black and White thing :paranoid: ??? (when not a single terrorist was Black, it is beyond me :ermm:)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In theory, yes, but they haven't been successful yet. And, I would go further and state that Blacks are not actively targeted by Islamic extremists.

This has little to do with the fact that they are being recruited.

The nation of Islam is also very very different. I can tell you that mainstream Muslim see them like a sect (kinda like an African-Americanized version of Islam). Yes, they have an animosity towards the "white men", but I haven't heard of any terrorists recruited among them either.

Give them some time. Recruitment is ongoing.

Why does everything in America has to be a Black and White thing :paranoid: ??? (when not a single terrorist was Black, it is beyond me :ermm:)

Ignoring issues won't make them go away.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
[/B]

Thank you.

These kids are social misfits. The younger American born kid influenced the older naturalized American kid and these two shared some sick fantasy aimed at hurting other Americans of every race.

Trying to turn this into anything but what it is to fit a personal agenda is wrong. I don't think the Dominican born kid will be repatriated when he finally gets out of prison (decades from now). They'll want to keep a close eye on him and keep him within reach. Somewhere along the line he'll grow up and understand the gravity of his crime. He seems to have a family which is solid but unsympathetic to his actions.

Families of N.J. men accused in terror plot secretly aided FBI, counterterrorism unit | - NJ.com

They have years of prison visits to straighten him out.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
A lot of Scandinavian terrorists also

but they tend to have last names like Mohammed, Islamabad and Al-Qaida

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Very true !!

but they tend to have last names like Mohammed, Islamabad and Al-Qaida

LOL, Al-Quaida is actively recruiting there too..

Animosity between blond hair-blue eyes people and dark-hair-brown eyes people is deeply rooted there.

Give them some time. Recruitment is ongoing as we speak :cheeky: