Bachatero Jimmy Bauer is apparently also a 'mule' for running drugs Stateside.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Dominicans Nab US Singer with Heroin in Stomach - CBS News

He is definitely not the biggest name in Bachata thats for certain, but it appears he wanted to make money even faster and 'easier' than just performing his music. Reports indicate that he swallowed 22 pellets, yep thats right 22. 1.........2..........3............4...........yea 22 of pure heroin. Its a good thing he was caught BEFORE he boarded that plane for Nueba Yol, he would probably landed 'a tragedy'. Supposedly 2 packets (pellets) had already burst inside of him, one or two more and he would have overdosed for certain. I hope he gets the help he needs.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
What a shame as his music is what Dominican Saturday night is all about...lived here long enough to know that.

Real Romantic And Sexy Dancing with this..

Go to about.com and enter Jimmy Bauer find the songs and say ...yah!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Your information, according to today's papers is incorrect. It was 88 pellets of cocaine, not heroine; a total of 1.4 pounds of drugs!
They were extracted surgically at the Armed Forces Hospital where he is under military guard.
The prosecutor has requested a one year preventive custody for the guy, who must be some sort of an idiot!

HB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Check my nick name "Bachata"!!! I love bachata music and never here about this guy before...
That is the reason he was trying to make money in a different way.

JJ

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Does anybody know the cost of 1.4 pound of cocaine? and more or less how much he would be paid?
I think a bachatero could make more on a weekend Car Wash.

E

engineerfg

Reading this, I think of the classic Anthony Santos bachata lyrics:

Dicen que el hombre no llora
no debe ingerir coca?na
ay ay ay

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It was in Tuesay's DR1 news:
Bachatero Bauer is a mule
El Dia reports the arrest of bachata singer Jimmy Bauer, suspected of trying to smuggle cocaine in his stomach. New York-born Jaime Vargas (alias Jimmy Bauer) was arrested by National Drug Control Department agents at Las Americas International Airport (AILA) yesterday before boarding a flight to New York. He was taken to the Armed Forces Hospital in Santo Domingo where 90 packets containing a white powder were extracted. He was detained after arousing suspicion while passing through the X-ray machine at AILA.

He aroused suspicion because the burst packet or pellet was having its effects on his behaviour:
En el momento de su detenci?n, el bachatero Jimmy Bauer se present? a la terminal ebrio lo que despert? sospecha, ya que presentaba tambi?n una actitud de rebeld?a ante las autoridades de la terminal a?rea. Esto motiv? su detenci?n y conducci?n hacia el cuarto de radiograf?as.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias_det.php?id=266849

Last edited:

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Your information, according to today's papers is incorrect. It was 88 pellets of cocaine, not heroine; a total of 1.4 pounds of drugs!
They were extracted surgically at the Armed Forces Hospital where he is under military guard.
The prosecutor has requested a one year preventive custody for the guy, who must be some sort of an idiot!

HB

Its possible that my info is not %100 correct, but I have read that it was heroin several times. I also heard it this morning on the radio (93.3 Independencia FM - La Opcion), regardless if it was 'only' 22 that is STILL crazy!! If it was 88 thats increible. But the sheer amount and type (well, IF it was in fact Heroin) would imply that he is a 'professional' mule, a 'show mule' (if you will). I hope he comes to the realization of how very close to death he came and how grateful that he was detained BEFORE he got in the air, I seriously doubt he would have made it.
I don't really for Jimmy Bauer's brand of Bachata personally, but goodness I can't imagine how much more money he could make as a 'mule' over what he could make over the weekend performing his songs. One thing is for sure, swallowing anything enteramente 22 veces o MAS is a NO, NO.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Check my nick name "Bachata"!!! I love bachata music and never here about this guy before...
That is the reason he was trying to make money in a different way.

JJ

I have a very extensive Bachata collection and I know about Jimmy Bauer. Honestly, I personally don't love his music. His voice is ok, his temas are ok, but he doesnt really do anything impressive to me (IMO). To me, he goes in the same category as Andy Andy, Toby Love, Carlos y Alexandra etc. Pero aun asi, his music DOES appeal to quite a good of people. You might have to be more pegao and talented to get a nice record deal or to appeal to wider fan base, but we all know you don't have to be el Mayimbe to make at least a 'decent' wage performing Bachata in la republica dominicana. Its (almost) like making tortillas in Mexico.......there will always be SOMEBODY that will buy some. jaja (yes it is kinda stereotypical, but its also kinda true, more than that its a joke, so relax).

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I beleive it was an idiotic thing to do. Also I dont think he was that famous, I?ve never heard of him.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I can understand that someone think they can get drugs out of the country, but what makes them think they can get it in to the US, the probability that the guy would manage to pass Homeland Security and customs is not zero, but pretty slim. Once in a while people deserve to go to jail because of stupidity.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Does anybody know the cost of 1.4 pound of cocaine? and more or less how much he would be paid?
I think a bachatero could make more on a weekend Car Wash.

About $15k on the street.

The guy that owns the car wash won't gross that in a weekend.

That guy is as lucky as he is foolish. Ingesting any significant amount of cocaine (more than 1/8 oz.) usually results in death.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
No brains obviously.:surprised

a bachatero name Jimmy Bauer, WTH!!!!?

His real name (birth name) is Jaime Vargas. And with real bachateros like Luis Vargas, I imagine changing your name is a smart move unless you can convince people (up until the point you start making music) that you are related.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
I can understand that someone think they can get drugs out of the country, but what makes them think they can get it in to the US, the probability that the guy would manage to pass Homeland Security and customs is not zero, but pretty slim. Once in a while people deserve to go to jail because of stupidity.

Even if he had done it several times before, you have to figure that at some point you are not going to make it through that gate and out the door. Apparently he had not yet made it to that point, or figured his 'celeb status' (as if) would help him ease through. After all, who suspects a bachatero of doing anything wrong?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For every mule caught, some must get through. If the drug control agents don't get a tip-off, the mule remains cool-headed and none of the packets split, they have a good chance of getting through.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

Actually, without obvious signs like bursting pellets or profuse sweating (or a tip off), there is no way he can get caught. You don't go through any (x-ray) machines or other detection devices when arriving at US customs, in fact, normally you just walk right through without them even opening bags.

Not sure if a drug dog would detect pellets in your stomach, but maybe residue on your hands or if you fart? LOL...