my debit card was scammed!

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
hi all!
i would never believe it would happen to me.
but yesterday i received a phonecall from my bank,they wanted to check some transaction done this week with my account.
someone tried to withdrawn some money with my card in bavaro.
my last trip there was in october,thanks god i barely use this account,so the freco could get max 500 pesos from my account.
the issue i have with this stupid scam is how come my card was copied when the only atm i used was the one in the occidental flamenco,the one near the reception.also the first attempt to get money was from the same place.
is it someone working at the hotel?how can report this,so nobody gonna get robbed again.
honestly im quite lucky,because i only use this account to transfer money from my saving to my main account,but im thinking about the futur victims of this scams,as this hotel is quite busy.

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
Yes, I have heard of a lot of horror stories with debit cards in the dr....so now I use my visa for cash advances..much safer! Those debit machines that copy cards are all over the world...just have to be careful..

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, I have heard of a lot of horror stories with debit cards in the dr....so now I use my visa for cash advances..much safer!

I agree. You have a lot more protection with a credit card.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
You should call the hotel, give them your grievance, make it clear to them that your thinking twice of never visiting them again, since they don?t have proper security.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
your new card can be scanned while its in your wallet or in your purse. The chip can be read just by someone bumping in to you or just standing close by and scan a radio receiver right next to your purse. Your card can be cloned later.
This is done all over the world now.
AZB

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
your new card can be scanned while its in your wallet or in your purse. The chip can be read just by someone bumping in to you or just standing close by and scan a radio receiver right next to your purse. Your card can be cloned later.
This is done all over the world now.
AZB

Yes you are right. Progress has its bad sides

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i managed to get acces to my account,the little freco got 4000 pesos from my account.
next time i wont withdrawn money from the hotel,i will only do it inside a bank.now im gonna learn to be more carefull!!

you didn't read my previous post. The scammars just have to come close to you and scan your card, right inside your purse. see this video below:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TgoJeBhW0n8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I do not take along my credit card anywhere unless I really need to.I use cash.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
azb i did read your post and my card was left on the safe except when i used it at the atm.
as i spent most of the day at the swimming pool with the little one, i did not need my card with me.

It was a debit card not a credit card right?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Me too

Thieves got me twice. Once at a atm where they used a rubber band and plastic to retrieve my card after the machine did not return it. My bank made good on the money. Second time was Banco Popular who must have had a thief working on the inside as I did not use the atm but went to a teller inside the bank. My account was drained in two withdrawals to a business in Delhi India. Bank made good on that also. From what I have read and heard from others who have been victimized the non Dominican banks will almost always return your money. I would not expect anything from Dominican banks as they have no idea of customer service and are nearly criminals themselves in the way they conduct business. They will screw you every which way but loose whether its changing money or fees for using your account too often. As much as possible I avoid DR banks.

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
actually the bank called me to let me know as i did not notice,this account is not my main so i dont go very often.
they realised something wrong when my card was used in london and bavaro within the same day.
thanks god it was not the saving one.
im gonna get the money back so not big damage but im a bit ****ed off with the flamenco management who let it happens.

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Good ol DR

That's one of the draw backs, amoung others like getting robbed kidnapped or killed when visiting the island. Credit cards are NO good as you see, if you bring $$ you have lesser of a chance of holding on to it.
Look at it this way, you did get out with your life....