In NY Dominicans Drive Taxis illegally and want special treatment -say what?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
President of the ?Dominicans United in New York? organization (DUNY), Hailey Rivera, says that Dominican taxi drivers in New York are being hassled and restricted.

He says that drivers work with dignity to support their families so that it is time to stop the abuses.

He defended freedom of transit through the streets of New York of the so-called ?taxi drivers without badges? and asked the mayor, Michael Bloomberg, to stop the attacks against this sector.

Activist Rivera urged the municipal government to implement strategies to ensure the livelihood of these workers.

He added that it is time that these drivers be allowed to approach passengers on the streets, which at the present time is illegal.

Rivera said he ?identified? with this sector of the population because he for a time worked as a taxi driver.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
President of the ?Dominicans United in New York? organization (DUNY), Hailey Rivera, says that Dominican taxi drivers in New York are being hassled and restricted.

He says that drivers work with dignity to support their families so that it is time to stop the abuses.

He defended freedom of transit through the streets of New York of the so-called ?taxi drivers without badges? and asked the mayor, Michael Bloomberg, to stop the attacks against this sector.

Activist Rivera urged the municipal government to implement strategies to ensure the livelihood of these workers.

He added that it is time that these drivers be allowed to approach passengers on the streets, which at the present time is illegal.

Rivera said he ?identified? with this sector of the population because he for a time worked as a taxi driver.

I agree with Hailey Rivera, I don't see why in certain part of NYC, people shouldn't be able to hail a cab in the streets like people do everywhere else in the city.

I have great respect for Hailey Rivera. He did a good job in bringing to the forefront the dangers that taxi drivers were facing in certain parts of the city. Thanks to him, security has been increased (mandatory cameras and the likes) and the number of drivers killed each year has decreased. So, his fights doesn't only benefit Dominican taxi drivers, it benefits all taxi drivers.

FYI, in parts of NYC, such as uptown, the bronx, most cab drivers are either Dominican or African.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree with Hailey Rivera, I don't see why in certain part of NYC, people shouldn't be able to hail a cab in the streets like people do everywhere else in the city.

I have great respect for Hailey Rivera. He did a good job in bringing to the forefront the dangers that taxi drivers were facing in certain parts of the city. Thanks to him, security has been increased (mandatory cameras and the likes) and the number of drivers killed each year has decreased. So, his fights doesn't only benefit Dominican taxi drivers, it benefits all taxi drivers.

FYI, in parts of NYC, such as uptown, the bronx, most cab drivers are either Dominican or African.

I know, I was on 161st street a couple of weeks ago driven there by a Dominican taxi driver. The article presented a view that the Dominican drivers wanted special treatment. Your response provides a counterpoint to that.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I know, I was on 161st street a couple of weeks ago driven there by a Dominican taxi driver. The article presented a view that the Dominican drivers wanted special treatment. Your response provides a counterpoint to that.

The special treatment that they want is to be able to continue to drive illegally as in not licensed by the city.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I m sorry, they dont want special treatment because they are Dominican. They(the non-yellow cab, non-medallion operators) only want the right to accept street hails without getting ticketed by the Taxi & Limousine Commission. That is the illegal part. Only medallion(yellow) cars in Manhattan can accept street hails. Everyone is driving the same car, with the same engine and paying the same $4/gallon gasoline so I think it should all be open.

Apart from the yellow operators(the medallions) there exists the black car group, which is the limo set and the other independent taxi fleets and the remainder are mostly gypsy cabs. Gypsy cabs are usually older more beat up and they run on a loop but will do the same thing all of them do. Gypsies tend to hang out at mass transit junctions and get quick fares for people who live in the area. Almost all gypsies work off street hails-outside of Manhattan(below 110th St.) Black cars and some gypsy cars work with a base so they only pick up based on radio calls.

I am one for a totally open system. There are colored car operators in Brooklyn that dont want the Manhattan business but one shouldnt have to pull teeth to get a yellow medallion operator to leave Manhattan.

And on another note, I m glad Ford terminated the Lincoln Town Car. It is a great car. It can run to 400,000 miles before it gets tired but for independent operators and small guys it sets them back to have to buy a luxury platform version of the Ford Crown Victoria for $47K, when the CV can be purchased for $20K.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
First of all..NY Taxis are limited in quantity by the taxi and limosine commission. They must have a cab medallion to operate. The cost of a medallion and set up is close to 600K ( US ) . The drivers must have taxi drivers licenses and undergo police screening. This is to make a passengers experience safer. ( not to say that all cab drivers are honest ). The medallion gives them the right to pick up passengers throughout the city and transportation hubs.
Second.. what you are referring to are what's called " gypsy " cabs. ( known in the DR as carros publicos ) who do not operate under the standards established above. Neither do they have the financial investment as the yellow cabs have. Many, even are operated by people who do not have a NY drivers license and do not carry passenger insurance. The city of NY has turned somewhat of a blind eye to this and allows them to operate ( mostly in areas where regular cabs are afraid to go because of the high number of assaults on them. People in these high risk areas CAN get a cab if they want, but not a yellow one since the real cab drivers are scared to operate in those sectors.
Suggest that you study all the facts and know your subject matter fully, before stating something as a fact, since that only serves to misinform the public.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
First of all..NY Taxis are limited in quantity by the taxi and limosine commission. They must have a cab medallion to operate. The cost of a medallion and set up is close to 600K ( US ) . The drivers must have taxi drivers licenses and undergo police screening. This is to make a passengers experience safer. ( not to say that all cab drivers are honest ). The medallion gives them the right to pick up passengers throughout the city and transportation hubs.
Second.. what you are referring to are what's called " gypsy " cabs. ( known in the DR as carros publicos ) who do not operate under the standards established above. Neither do they have the financial investment as the yellow cabs have. Many, even are operated by people who do not have a NY drivers license and do not carry passenger insurance. The city of NY has turned somewhat of a blind eye to this and allows them to operate ( mostly in areas where regular cabs are afraid to go because of the high number of assaults on them. People in these high risk areas CAN get a cab if they want, but not a yellow one since the real cab drivers are scared to operate in those sectors.
Suggest that you study all the facts and know your subject matter fully, before stating something as a fact, since that only serves to misinform the public.

I guess it applies to you too :cheeky:

NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission

They have a different set of rules, I agree but they are licensed by the Taxi and Limousine Commission.

It is not only in these high risk areas, try to get a yellow cab, in forest hills, Queens, none in sight.

Carros publicos, they are not !! People don't share ride in my "high risk" areas ;)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I m sorry, they dont want special treatment because they are Dominican. They(the non-yellow cab, non-medallion operators) only want the right to accept street hails without getting ticketed by the Taxi & Limousine Commission. That is the illegal part. Only medallion(yellow) cars in Manhattan can accept street hails. Everyone is driving the same car, with the same engine and paying the same $4/gallon gasoline so I think it should all be open.

EXACTLY ! That is what they are fighting for. Honestly, people are hailing them anyway and never seen one getting fined....

Come on, it is start raining, I am with my 2 toddlers and a stroller, in Harlem and you mean to tell me, I have to call the base ??This is just ridiculous !

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Oh, the irony. I know a licensed legitimate taxi company on LI that is Dominican owned. THEY want the gypsy cabs eliminated in their service area.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

Thats not true. Medallions are limited, taxis arent. If you can buy the car you got a taxi. You dont need a medallion to drive a taxi, unless you are accepting street hails in Manhattan, below 110th St. Anyone who drives a cab has the same license, a commercial class-C, it doesnt matter if it is a yellow cab, a party bus or a limousine. Everyone gets the same background check by the DMV(it is called a 19A). The medallion only allows them to accept street hails IN MANHATTAN. Most yellow cabs wont go into the rest of the city for fares. They prefer Manhattan because of the short and frequent trips allowing to earn quicker. Manhattan is rectangular so they figure up and down and over here to there, easy. And all cab drivers work from a queue at the airports.

Carro publicos arent the equivalent of gypsy cabs. Carros publicos are the equivalent of badly managed mass transit system resembling a bus. No one shares a ride in a gypsy cab. No one is crammed into a gypsy cab. They work just like regular cabs, you get in you go to your destination you pay your fare. The only difference between the black car and a gypsy cab is the usually the age of the car. You wont find one in Manhattan because they dont have a medallion to operate in Manhattan.

And if you dispute the level of insurance coverage they have look at the license plate. In NYC, Westchester and Nassau, taxi plates typically start with a letter(T, N, W) followed by 6 or 7 digits and ending with a C. In other places in NY State, the license plate is usually a 5 or 6 digit number followed by the letters LA. You cant get taxi plates without the appropriate insurance. The DMV sees to that. That is why there is a special class of plates.

You dont need a NY Drivers license to drive a taxi anywhere. All you need IS a Commercial Drivers License, class C or above, with a P endorsement. Many of these drivers have licenses in New Jersey or Connecticut or Pennsylvania, because that is where they live.

There are no blind eyes to anything you are presuming. There is more money to be made in Manhattan so therefore they introduced the medallion system to capitalize and regulate that specific area. Less money to be made in Brownsville and the South Bronx, so the taxi stands at Broadway Junction or E.149th St have more competition from many operators. The rest of what you wrote was bullsht..."regular" cabs, "real" cab drivers?? What is a regular cab? Who is a real cab driver?

Dispute that. Or stay in Kennebunkport.

Last edited:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
EXACTLY ! That is what they are fighting for. Honestly, people are hailing them anyway and never seen one getting fined....

Come on, it is start raining, I am with my 2 toddlers and a stroller, in Harlem and you mean to tell me, I have to call the base ??This is just ridiculous !

They get fined. I saw a "sting operation" when I was on 1st Ave and E.33rd St. in front of NYU Medical Center. A fat guy with a box flags down a Town Car and when the guy opens his trunk, the fatty shows him his badge and they got a blocker car with flashing lights. I didnt know the TLC needed undercover operatives? Police state. I m with CB on this one, this is a waste of government resources. This guy has to put in a 12 hour day to make his money and you are going to write him a $130 ticket? Because he wanted to take a street hail?

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
I do not live nor have ever lived in Kennebunkport. I was born and raised in Brooklyn and spent almost all of my life in the NY area.
One of my wife"s nephews ( dominican ) worked as a gypsy driver in uptown manhattan. Whatever words you wish to apply, it all comes out the same. You are dealing with people who do not want to wait on the list to hbe able to purchase a medallion or do not want to lay out the $ needed to be a legal TAXI in NYC.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I do not live nor have ever lived in Kennebunkport. I was born and raised in Brooklyn and spent almost all of my life in the NY area.
One of my wife"s nephews ( dominican ) worked as a gypsy driver in uptown manhattan. Whatever words you wish to apply, it all comes out the same. You are dealing with people who do not want to wait on the list to hbe able to purchase a medallion or do not want to lay out the $ needed to be a legal TAXI in NYC.

Uptown Manhattan are livery cab drivers, they are regulated by the TLC and are LEGAL TAXIS.

Medallions are for yellow cabs and operate exclusively in Manhattan (unless they drop off a passenger in the outer borough or airport pick up).

Either, you have all mixed up or you are really from Kennebunkport (wherever that is ) :)

Livery Cab Drivers Rally Against Plan For Outer Borough Taxis - NY1.com

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

Hooey! You keep making the assumption that only yellow taxis are legal taxis in lieu of the fact that the DMV is giving taxi plates to anyone who applies to taxi registration and can provide the insurance proper coverage to their motor vehicle. And that every taxi that isnt a yellow medallion is a gypsy. What is that? Why should anyone wait on a limited list for a medallion that costs $600,000? Why dont I use the $600,000 to buy a fleet of cars and be an entrepreneur? Yellows seldom leave Manhattan and when they do they only want places in close proximity to getting back to Manhattan.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hooey! You keep making the assumption that only yellow taxis are legal taxis in lieu of the fact that the DMV is giving taxi plates to anyone who applies to taxi registration and can provide the insurance proper coverage to their motor vehicle. And that every taxi that isnt a yellow medallion is a gypsy. What is that? Why should anyone wait on a limited list for a medallion that costs $600,000? Why dont I use the $600,000 to buy a fleet of cars and be an entrepreneur? Yellows seldom leave Manhattan and when they do they only want places in close proximity to getting back to Manhattan.

90% of yellow cab drivers lease their cars.
They don't even own a medallion , medallions are bought by companies with a fleet of cars.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Who has $600,000 lying around and is in the position to drive a cab? Only fleets can spend that kind of money. I heard that those cars can cost $300 for a daily 12 hour shift. That is why they dont want to leave Manhattan. They gotta make that money back hopefully by rush hour and maybe get a little profit.

Black cars arent that much different IF you dont own the car. Thats why the gypsy is the easiest way to get into the game. A 10 year old car and taxi plates and you do it all on your own.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Yes, most yellow cab drivers do not own their cars. In order for the owner ( if he is a driver) to pay off the loans he incurred for the purchase, he has 2-3 shifts of drivers that operate the vehicle close to 24 Hrs a day. For those who say they never see a yellow cab outside of manhattan, I guess you have never been to JFK or LGA Airports, where hundreds of yellow cabs are on the lines waiting for fares. If many drivers dont want to be in Brooklyn or Queens or Bronx, it is also because of the volume and turnover of fares. They are there to make $. Sorry for the use of " Publico" in a way you find offensive, maybe i should have said "TASI " . But, Im suer you had the general idea. Also, in reference to the gypsy cabs there are many other types other than Crown Vics on the street. Some of these also are the regular vehicles for the drivers on their time off.
I have no problem with people trying to make a legitimate living , but that does not give them the right to demand what they are not legally ientitled to do.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Los due?os del pais

Oh, these poor people just want to bring a bit of their culture to NY... :cheeky:

[video=youtube;Ck_GMF0t5g8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck_GMF0t5g8[/video]
[video=youtube;0p-vdaCKHq8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p-vdaCKHq8[/video]

donP

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
After WW2, my father passed up the opportunity to purchase 100 medallions @ US 50 each. Some of my friends parents did buy them, includine Neil Sedakas father. Many of them spent years owning and driving and in the later years, sold them so they could retire in the sun and enjoy their later years.