In NY Dominicans Drive Taxis illegally and want special treatment -say what?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
My sister works in a driving school. She just told me that it cost around $400, a background and drug screen, to be able to taxi around people. No medallion needed.

Since the recession, I have seen many more out there. My sister as well. Many Toyota Camrys out there as cabs.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yes, most yellow cab drivers do not own their cars. In order for the owner ( if he is a driver) to pay off the loans he incurred for the purchase, he has 2-3 shifts of drivers that operate the vehicle close to 24 Hrs a day. For those who say they never see a yellow cab outside of manhattan, I guess you have never been to JFK or LGA Airports, where hundreds of yellow cabs are on the lines waiting for fares. If many drivers dont want to be in Brooklyn or Queens or Bronx, it is also because of the volume and turnover of fares. They are there to make $. Sorry for the use of " Publico" in a way you find offensive, maybe i should have said "TASI " . But, Im suer you had the general idea. Also, in reference to the gypsy cabs there are many other types other than Crown Vics on the street. Some of these also are the regular vehicles for the drivers on their time off.
I have no problem with people trying to make a legitimate living , but that does not give them the right to demand what they are not legally ientitled to do.

Agree with everything you said as I have many friends and relatives driving Taxis (both yellows and livery). My cous' owns his yellow cab and his car is operating close to 24h a day (him and a driver/12h shifts), believe me, I know it's hard work.

However, Livery drivers are just asking to be able to pick up passenger LEGALLY in the street in the areas where there are no yellow cabs. I Do live in one of those areas and I call the base, most of the times, but sometimes I need and want to be able to just Hail a cab in the streets like every one else.

It's not hurting anyone's business (especially the one that paid $600,000 for their medallions) because their areas of work do not overlap, so I believe it's a fair demand.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Hey Bronxboy, Im sure you've seen many yellow cabs on the grand concourse, jerome avenue, white plains road, etc. They do not hide in the good areas of the bronx. By the way I miss Mickies hot dog stand on Baychester avenue.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hey Bronxboy, Im sure you've seen many yellow cabs on the grand concourse, jerome avenue, white plains road, etc. They do not hide in the good areas of the bronx. By the way I miss Mickies hot dog stand on Baychester avenue.

Sorry, but I was a Riverdale, last week with my 4 year old son (a wealthy area of the Bronx), no yellow cabs in sight.
Thank God, I found a Dominican gypsy cab :)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The only yellow cabs I see in the BX are the ones coming from the Manhattan into the BX. They usually head back to Manhattan.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Some of these cats are totally unregulated. They rent cabs from someone who owns a Lincoln or whatever it is they drive and keep the cars in circulation sometimes 24 hours a day.

They make up fares as they go along and many times overcharge. Since gypsy cabs have no meters, you have no idea how much you are being charged per 1/4 mile. But you will hear the litany of whining about how much gas is and how they can't make a living, i.e. don't have enough money to send back to Santo Domingo to finish paying for their house in the campo.

They also have the habit of honking at every passer-by or anyone just looking to cross the street and driving hyper-aggressively. But of course, no one can tell them what to do because they think they're back in Santo Domingo. They figure "hey, it's the Bronx-I can do what I want".

Unless I know the driver from the neighborhood I never hail a Dominican cab from the street.

And let's not get into the fact that quite a few don't pay a lick of taxes. Many of these guys have taken advantage of this underground economy for years, and now they want rights.

They need to get licensed and they need working meters in their cabs.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
OK, Hailey Rivera, womans name, now send your thugs to beat me up. you are no different than the thugs (criminals) that operate the transit system in the DR, trucks and buses. only here, NYC, you can't burn tires in the street or beat up those that choose to work when their family needs food as your counterparts do in SD. the yellow cabs in manhattan do a great job and get paid for it, and pay dearly for the license. outside of manhattan every dominican family has posted on their refrigerator, or they know the number by heart, the phone of the local dominican guy who has a lincoln town car that will take them anywhere that they do not normally travel by bus or subway. senora hailey wants it so that if a guy is waving his arm in mid-town, times sq, wall st. that his illegal(only that they are not licensed "taxis") can cut off ten other "licensed" cabs, cut off traffic, cut across 5 lanes, and scoop up the fare. this is why they are hassled and rightfully so. i drove my way through Harvard University working for a boston cab. co. it was illegal for me to pick up in cambridge massachussetts, just across the small river, home to harvard and MIT, and for an out of towner or newcomer looks just like boston. it was illegal, i didn't do it, i went back into the city of boston to look for legal work. senora hailey. reminds me, of the cute blonde hailey mills, wants his boys to have the same rights as those that go the legal route and pay for them. in typical dominican fashion he wants to sit in the front row when he has bought tickets for the balconey and if he does not get his way cries "racism, anti-latino"........face facts senora, i may be in la guardia or JFK tomorrow, look for me, i do not pick up in the airport, against the law in my case, but if you are in the international arrival area of American Airlines, you will be approached by several scumbags that will inquire if you need a taxi. this is before you get out the door and outside the door is a taxi dispatcher and many "legal" cabs ready to go to work. i've known many a taxi "driver" in my years, sometimes we'll bend the truth, a little, i've known many who couldn't take the heat and become dispatchers, limo instead of taxi, went to work as phone answerers, mechanics, etc. and now we have una senora, (how many years have you in the "seat") the politician asking for privelages that others pay for. take your phony non-profit CUNY, what a laugh, and try running for NY state assembly or congress, that's where the money is. yellow taxi's pay for their turf and althoughyou cry, cry, cry me a river, ozama, you will not turn the streets of NYC into the free for all that goes on in SD. also, senora, trust me, i have many dominican friends driving town cars that make in excess of 1000US a week just driving in the bronx and brooklyn, without speaking english. Al Sharpton you are not, Jesse Jackson you are not, if you could shut your mouth and drive you'd be making much more money......as a matter of fact, taxi's, and carro publicos in SD are very regulated, break the rules and get shot. Why do you have a problem if NYC has rules and laws? is it because in NY you won't get shot.....go away senora!!!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Dominican tourist just get off from a NY yellow cab....
080710184042-1.jpg

My dream when in DR before moving to the US was to drive one of theses yellows cab, no any more.

JJ

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
OK, Hailey Rivera, womans name, now send your thugs to beat me up. you are no different than the thugs (criminals) that operate the transit system in the DR, trucks and buses. only here, NYC, you can't burn tires in the street or beat up those that choose to work when their family needs food as your counterparts do in SD. the yellow cabs in manhattan do a great job and get paid for it, and pay dearly for the license. outside of manhattan every dominican family has posted on their refrigerator, or they know the number by heart, the phone of the local dominican guy who has a lincoln town car that will take them anywhere that they do not normally travel by bus or subway. senora hailey wants it so that if a guy is waving his arm in mid-town, times sq, wall st. that his illegal(only that they are not licensed "taxis") can cut off ten other "licensed" cabs, cut off traffic, cut across 5 lanes, and scoop up the fare. this is why they are hassled and rightfully so. i drove my way through Harvard University working for a boston cab. co. it was illegal for me to pick up in cambridge massachussetts, just across the small river, home to harvard and MIT, and for an out of towner or newcomer looks just like boston. it was illegal, i didn't do it, i went back into the city of boston to look for legal work. senora hailey. reminds me, of the cute blonde hailey mills, wants his boys to have the same rights as those that go the legal route and pay for them. in typical dominican fashion he wants to sit in the front row when he has bought tickets for the balconey and if he does not get his way cries "racism, anti-latino"........face facts senora, i may be in la guardia or JFK tomorrow, look for me, i do not pick up in the airport, against the law in my case, but if you are in the international arrival area of American Airlines, you will be approached by several scumbags that will inquire if you need a taxi. this is before you get out the door and outside the door is a taxi dispatcher and many "legal" cabs ready to go to work. i've known many a taxi "driver" in my years, sometimes we'll bend the truth, a little, i've known many who couldn't take the heat and become dispatchers, limo instead of taxi, went to work as phone answerers, mechanics, etc. and now we have una senora, (how many years have you in the "seat") the politician asking for privelages that others pay for. take your phony non-profit CUNY, what a laugh, and try running for NY state assembly or congress, that's where the money is. yellow taxi's pay for their turf and althoughyou cry, cry, cry me a river, ozama, you will not turn the streets of NYC into the free for all that goes on in SD. also, senora, trust me, i have many dominican friends driving town cars that make in excess of 1000US a week just driving in the bronx and brooklyn, without speaking english. Al Sharpton you are not, Jesse Jackson you are not, if you could shut your mouth and drive you'd be making much more money......as a matter of fact, taxi's, and carro publicos in SD are very regulated, break the rules and get shot. Why do you have a problem if NYC has rules and laws? is it because in NY you won't get shot.....go away senora!!!

You need an enema. I dont get the relationship with Al Sharpton and driving a taxi.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
hey racer, it's all in the first post, DUNY, dominicans united New York, what's the problem? you can't think three pages back? are you playing the racism card?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I don't think the NY taxi drivers are making good profits been all day stuck in the traffic with gas price almost $ 4. Dollars / gallon driving those V-8 Town cars.
I went on a Sunday afternoon to NY downtown and the traffic was so terrible that I can figure out how it gets during the weeks days.
080710173724.jpg

Enjoying my self visiting the capital of the world, in this tour bus I saw people from everywhere....
080710161435.jpg

The first time we went to NY thru the Lincoln Tunnel a claustrophobic panic almost made me jump out of the car...
The best way to get there is taking a boat from Union city NJ.
080610175111.jpg

JJ

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
hey racer, it's all in the first post, DUNY, dominicans united New York, what's the problem? you can't think three pages back? are you playing the racism card?

Hmm....bro, you re rambling. It has already been established here ON THE 1st Page. All they want is permission to accept street hails. It makes it easier for them to earn money and for the passenger because a car is a car. Like Aida said if she has her 2 kids and is waiting in the rain, it doesnt matter to her if the car is a yellow car or a black car. She just doesnt see the reason to go to a base or call a base just for them to send a car to her destination.

You guys keep talking about "legal" taxis and "licensed" cars. I explained on the 1st page if the car has taxi plates then it is licensed for livery service. We arent talking about guys who drive cars with passenger plates or otherwise, because those guys would never take street hails anyway, it is too risky to get pulled over by the NYPD or the TLC, especially in said sting operations.

You Kennebunkports keep trying to tell me how taxi operations are using Boston or DC or some other place in comparison. That isnt how it works in NY.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
But I don't believe you can purchase a CV any longer.

Where did you find NEW CV's (Racerx) for 20K, I have friend that could use 5 of them for company (Not taxi) use

Fleet orders only. They dont offer them through their website nor in the showrooms. The police put in bulk orders. You should tell your friend to call his Ford dealer(Manhattan Ford, All-American Ford or Warnock, in NJ) and talk to the commercial/fleet sales guy. They have the base model and the extended(6") wheel base version. For the consumer who wants a full size car they want you to buy the Taurus or Lincoln MKS.

I m personally interested in the GM ones, but we must wait for 2014(hopefully spring-2013) for the new Chevrolet Impala/Cadillac Deville to hit the showrooms. Limo sales should be stellar(if Cadillac can reach its past glory). Plus a hybrid 5.3 V8 should be nice, although I would go with a supercharged V6.

JJ, the traffic is why they(the yellow cars) prefer to stay in Manhattan. Short trip, short durations, short distances. The only long trips they like to take are to the airports, because it is a flat fee. Besides on Sunday you didnt see much because many of the businesses are closed. If you came on a Friday you would see how busy it was.

Next time you come to NY you can take the Verrazano Bridge or the George Washington Bridge.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Just curious..If Aida has a cellphone and programs the cab dispatcher,s # into it, is it possible for her to call for her ride without "having to stand in the rain". I have had to do this from time to time in the DR and never got soaked.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Just curious..If Aida has a cellphone and programs the cab dispatcher,s # into it, is it possible for her to call for her ride without "having to stand in the rain". I have had to do this from time to time in the DR and never got soaked.

Listen, I have two toddlers (2.5 and 4 yrs old), I hate the whole subway with stroller thingy, plus I am always running late for some reasons, so I LIVE IN FREAKIN' TAXIS !!!!!!! No joke, my 2.5 yr old knows a livery cab from a regular car !I could tell you the phone number of the base covering my area in my sleep. In fact, the dispatchers even recognize my sexy voice and French accent !

BUT, FYI, certain livery can companies cover certain areas ! So, If I happen to NOT be anywhere near my house, what do I do ? If I am in Queens, BRONX, what do I do? Call 411 to get the nearest taxi number ???????

I am not saying that taxi should pick customer up in the area where yellow are readily available, that would be unfair to them ! I am just saying that livery taxis should be able to pick up passengers in the street in the areas where there are the ONLY OPTION !

What is so hard to understand about that ?

Last edited: