Building your home in the Domican Republic II

hovhannes

Aug 4, 2011
Hello everyone! We are back yet again with some fresh questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

We recently purchased some property about 15 meters up from the ocean and are hoping to build our home there!

Now we are told we need to be at least 60 meteres from the ocean to start construction!

What if we go ahaead and construct ourselves a log cabin? No cement just wood.

We drove along the coast and saw numerous wooden homes situated along the water which gave us the idea hey

maybe this is allowed!

If anyone has any insight on this matter please let us know

Thanks again for your time and have a great day!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You really need to keep this in the original thread. As far as the wooden homes you see I would expect they are typical campo home built before the laws were in effect or maybe they are squatter homes.

My previous advice was for you to contact ayuntamiento but it appears you have not done that. The truth is I doubt you will find out what you want here. I am an engineer and can do some investigation for you if you want to contact me. Send me a pm if you wish.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
According to Fabio Guzman:
Law 305 of 1968 has neither been changed nor amended nor abrogated. It states the following:

"Art. 49.- Est? sujeta a la navegaci?n mar?tima, as? como a cualquier otro uso p?blico que fijen los reglamentos del Poder Ejecutivo, la faja de terreno denominada Zona Mar?tima, o sea la que se halla paralela al mar, de sesenta metros de ancho, medidos desde la l?nea a que asciende la pleamar ordinaria hacia la tierra y que abarca, salvo los derechos de propiedad que al presente existan, todas las costas y playas del territorio dominicano. Dicha zona comprende los r?os y corrientes, lagunas y lagos navegables o flotables hasta donde se encuentren bajo la acci?n de las mareas. La zona mar?tima forma parte del dominio p?blico, as? como tambi?n la zona de las mareas, o sea la porci?n de tierra que se halla entre la l?nea de pleamar y la bajamar."

?Art. 49.- It will be subject to maritime navigation, as well as to any other public use established by Executive regulation, the strip of land called the ?Maritime Zone,? meaning that which is parallel to the sea, 60 meters wide, measured from the line reached by the normal high tide inland, and comprising, except for those property rights in existence, all the Dominican coast and beaches. Said zone comprises rivers and currents, navigable lagoons and lakes up to the line where they are affected by the tides. The maritime zone is part of the public domain, as well as the zone of the tides, that is, the portion of land found between the high water and low water marks.?

When it says that the maritime zone is part of the public domain, it means that it is public property.]

Do those wooden shacks predate 1968?

In another post he notes:
In fact, whenever an old property goes for a deslinde, the 60 meter zone is automatically taken off the title, without respecting the "except for those property rights in existence" clause.

Are you sure you have clear title to this land? Chances are the 60 meter area has been deleted from what you own.

web

Nov 5, 2005
Do they sell treated lumber here because termites are a real problem.

We recently purchased some property about 15 meters up from the ocean and are hoping to build our home there!

Now we are told we need to be at least 60 meteres from the ocean to start construction!

We drove along the coast and saw numerous wooden homes situated along the water which gave us the idea hey

maybe this is allowed!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Parallel to the ocean does not have anything to do with the elevation but with a line parallel and 60 meters from the waters edge on a horizontal plane.

If there is a law stating that properties that are within the 60 meters are exempt from the no construction law due to to their elevation the terms that would be used would probably be nivel or elevacion.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
60 mters away from the water unless you want to risk getting it turn down by some government officials after you build it. You have got to check that title and a floor plant of the actual piece of land that you bought.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010

maybe this is allowed!

Make sure that you have a deslinde as well on any real estate property before you buy (hopefully) and especially before you build!! Deslinde process is taking about 1.5 years now if zero problems encountered.

Ciquita

May 6, 2011
You must ask this question at russians, who can build they houses in every place!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wood ???/ Tablas de palmas ???

Thats Dominicano......

Up, down or sideways.......... it is the 60m rule....

For the second time.... I suggest moving back a bit to save yourself many problems.......

60M is not far...... closer and you could wash into the Atlantic if Emily got you.

Think hard about this...

WW

hovhannes

Aug 4, 2011
We are sorry to we are not schooled in the arts of geometria as so you state johnny!
You must be some sort of rocket scientist or something of that nature to slander us with such grammer!
If we have offende you in any way please feel free to come down to barahona so we can sit and have a heart to heart
\again thank you for your time!

hovhannes

Aug 4, 2011
People people please do you all have any idea how far away 60 meters is?

Its about 200 feet which is close to 2 city blocks!

You do the math

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

You do the math

Rocketeer:

A standard NYC block is 264 feet/80 meters. You can not build 60 meters from the mean high water mark. So get out your tide charts.

No need to threaten other posters, that ain't cool.

amigo tambo'

hovhannes

Aug 4, 2011
Sorry To have offended anyone!
But here in the domican each block consists of about 30 meters?
I am sure everything is much bigger and further away inNYC and that is why we left the big times!

Again sorry for the malicious nature of our letter!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Does anybody care about a 'block'--- no matter where it is..?

60m from from the ocean is still CLOSE....

To satisy yourself........... pitch a tent there for a week.. inside 60m
For the second week... try it further back at 61M........

Look in the mirror to see how your hair handled it..........

Please report back

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com

You do the math

Thats because front beach houses cost millions dlls. you need a very large land.
Sorry if I ofended you, wasnt my intention. We are just trying to adviced you, that it is almost imposible to build a house the way you want, i say "almost", because this is Dominican Republic, and if you have 10, 20 millions dlls to spend in this aventure, so maybe you have some chances., but in recent years, the only person who has been favored with a Decreto to change this law was Felucho Jimenez, ex Minister of Tourism to built a multimillions mega resort in Bahia de Samana. It was a major corruption scandal and he was mentioned in wikileaks as a corrupt minister.