Styrofoam Block Supplier

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
Hello Forum
I recently purchased a lot in Bavaro and am currently in the process of design development. I am looking to build the house from styrofoam. I have seen some of the developments in the North coast that use styrofoam walls but not the block system. Does anyone know of a supplier in the Dominican who sells the ICF block system. I found suppliers in the states that will export it but I am certain that will be a major issue for customs, transport etc..
thanks

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Hello Forum
I recently purchased a lot in Bavaro and am currently in the process of design development. I am looking to build the house from styrofoam. I have seen some of the developments in the North coast that use styrofoam walls but not the block system. Does anyone know of a supplier in the Dominican who sells the ICF block system. I found suppliers in the states that will export it but I am certain that will be a major issue for customs, transport etc..
thanks

Yep, cheaper and faster to build but some serious architects and maestro's have their doubts if those construction will stand a good storm or earthquake.
We were looking into Ytong but that's out of the question to bring in for the moment.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This may be a unique way to construct housing in the DR. PJT like the previous poster has doubts of the durability and value of this type of construction.

One also has to consider the recycling value of the product when thinking long term. Concrete, brick, and wood construction has some recycling value and as clean fill. The styrofoam would have little recycling value as there is no infrastructure here to recycle, could not be used as solid fill, will not decompose. It will only add more disgust to the unsightly waste piles.

Regards,

PJT

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is somebody writing for PJT? Or does PJT write for him/herself.

Another interested 3rd party...:cross-eye

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Styrofoam could also be used as forming base for floor / ceiling structural concrete slabs and left in place for insulation and plaster over when completed,no need to remove it. The strength is determined by the depth of concrete and re-bar used.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
its not really a unique way of constructing. They do it here in LT since 3 years or so now. You see it everywhere.

Enrike

Jan 31, 2010
Hello. I'm in construction since almost 8 years and let me tell you, avoid styrofoam. This technology is not working on our island and it is quite expensive and not eco-friendly.
Your best bet is a LMS structure which may be adapted to your lot. You can get a 1 or 2 story lovely villa
in 8 to 10 weeks done and save a ton of bucks.''

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
its not really a unique way of constructing. They do it here in LT since 3 years or so now. You see it everywhere.

What type are they using? Styro Blocks?

Is anybody in the DR using normal concrete block construction with foam on the outside - covered with a concrete stucco? This would keep the mass inside the insulation.

By putting your concrete mass on the inside, some berming, good windows, proper awning coverage or even insulated shutters, one could keep a house pretty cool with little effort.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I can't see needing insulation for walls here, and the white sealer I applied to my roof seems to keep my place quite cool, even in the summertime.

I understand what you mean, JD, but insulation works both ways. If you're paying humongous electric bills for AC to cool off your house, good insulation, (styro or whatever), could help keep the casa cool, and your bill low(er).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
can any of you construction experts tell me why it is that there is not more use of prefabricated techniques in this country? i mean the homes that are built from slabs that are assembled on the site? they have been doing that in the British caribbean since the 60s, and the homes are still as good as new.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
gorgon,As a general contractor,familiar with the kind of construction that you mentioned, I can tell you that till/up slabs require lifting cranes,bond breakers and special rigging,your humble cement block works just fine in D.r.with a ready labor pool. Styrofoam blocks will not be the way to go on exterior walls.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I understand what you mean, JD, but insulation works both ways. If you're paying humongous electric bills for AC to cool off your house, good insulation, (styro or whatever), could help keep the casa cool, and your bill low(er).

My thoughts exactly. I have 30+ yrs exp in Const. in cold climate, but zilch in warm climates. But insulation can always benefit. This is why I asked about a layer of styro on the outside, covered by trowled concrete. This way your not making any major building method changes.

Concrete itself acts as a mass that is cooled by the ac from the inside. And because of the mass, it will hold it much like a "heat sink". But it is also being heated from the outside at the same time. A small layer of insul may help.

And I say "styro", but I prefer the Blue Board. Better R values and more durable. Even if the house had to come down, the blue board could be reused. I hate that white bead stuff. I think building houses out of blocks of that stuff could be a problem for a place like the DR.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
we all say Styrofoam, but in reality that is a specific product. It's like saying I want a "Coke", and meaning any kind of soda. Actually, the specific kind of plastic used in the insulation boards is different than styrofoam, with different properties, etc. The OP was (I think), talking about the integrated foam block/concrete technology, where the foam block acts as a form for the concrete but is not removed like wood forms, and remains as part of the wall providing insulation. As in all things, change comes slowly; and old established methods are usually preferred by those doing the work.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
thanks , porkman, for responding to my question. still, the same labor pool dynamics exist in Jamaica, and they have found that prefab is more cost effective and practical for building simple dwelling houses, and even schools. can you take a crack at why this might be so?

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Gorgon,I always dreamed of building casting conc. panels for residential application in R.D. using An I beam with wheels for lifting smaller panels and improvising with lifting inserts etc.and work out all the bugs like extra weight on panels, But it is hard to compete with cement block for cost and time.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
from your response, porkman, i must conclude that construction economics are different in DR and Jamaica. i will have to ponder this matter to see if i can find out why.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
For an Island I cannot grasp the idea that so many houses here are build the wrong way in which I mean, in the wrong direction.
We are working together with an architect at the moment and the first thing she did was visiting the different locations (haven't decided yet which plot we want to buy) so she gets an idea which kind of plots we like and the first thing she looks at then when back in the office is how I am gonna plant that house in so that it can profit from the breeze to get into the house.

We rent now a place, we have no aircon, only fans and its very agreeable in here just because the house has been build keeping in mind that every room grasps that breeze. That together with a large covered patio surrounding almost the entire house and covered with the traditional covering which is still the best isolation for a patio, a bit more work as you have to replaced every so much years but it cant beat anything else.

Stick with local products, we are planning to build a very modern house but are going to use as much as possible local building products because they have shown to work.