Guide to What is happening in SD

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am going to just keeping posting on my own thread here for a bit so that everyone sees this.. since it is almost impossible to find out what is going on in SD. You have to listen to the radio, or drive by a billboard, or have a friend tell you.And you often end up reading about a really wonderful event the day after it happens... why they do these write ups, i do not know.. like, wowo, if you had had any sense, or any know how, or any friends or any money, you would have been there, dud!

the website for the teatro nacional is completely non functional.

the box office is open at very odd hours

tickets are usually only available AT the box office... but most events are not sold out.

so I do not actually know how to tag posts, and I assume that by tagging this last one it would perhaps make it easier to see in the search function?

but perhaps the person who does the calendar here.. which really IS the best place to find out about the entier country .. might keep more of an eye on SD?

Note that in the Capital now, only Cinemateca and Novacentro have filems out of the ordinary )except for Alliance francais which has French films every week on Thursdays) Blue Mall was showing other films for a while but seems to have dropped them.

that's all folks..

I will try to give a heads up if something grand is coming..

The Master's Class performances are being subsidized by the US Embassy among others... which accounts for the low entrance price. But there usually tickets under $1000.

And there is an excellent restaurant, Cappucino's, right across Gomez from the Teotro.. which makes for a very elegant evening.
come visit

come often

if is your Capital, too!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
And here we have the schedule for the Belles Artes which is the gorgeous building on the corner of Gomez and Independencia

Palacio de las Bellas Artes - Santo Domingo Live ! - Programaci?n del mes del Palacio de las Bellas Artes de Santo Domingo.

You probably have driven by it.. with the dome and the fountains all lit up at night?

It was closed for renovations for years but is opened now.

The main performance room is very small which makes me wonder what they are doing in the REST of the building but who knows? Could be that Marie Antoinette is having guests.

As you can see, the prices here are kept very reasonable and many of the performances are even free.

It is an extraordinary place to go for an evening. An historic trip. really, quite different from the Teatro Nacional. The Bellas Artes has more of a faded gilt and crushed red velvet to it.

Dress UP .. really.. ENJOY

it is your Capital TOO!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I am not quite sure what you mean by subscribe to the thread. When I come on I click for search on new posts and get all the new posts.. but it seems that the posts tend to disappear faster than they used to.. can not really explain that but it just seems like they are in a brief pop up window. When I did a search on the tool bar here it had the option of "unsubscribe to this thread" which leads me to believe that I am subscribed to this thread.

Yes, I do love the DR1 calendar and was, in fact, driven to a deeper search today because it did not have the Master Class posted but another event at the Teatro Nacional.. although I know that there is more than one hall. It does seem absurd that the National theater and Belles Artes do not have functional web pages. How hard could that be?

A sticky would be lovely. An honor.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
To subscribe, go to the top of the thread, click on "Thread tools" and select "Subscribe to this thread". Every time the thread is updated you'll get an e-mail notification.

Re the websites, they probably paid the boss's nephew who "knows about the internets" to do it and they never came up with the goods.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
To subscribe, go to the top of the thread, click on "Thread tools" and select "Subscribe to this thread". Every time the thread is updated you'll get an e-mail notification.

Re the websites, they probably paid the boss's nephew who "knows about the internets" to do it and they never came up with the goods.

I only get the "unsubscribe" option. And I do not need an email notice since I am on this Board every day.

Yes, I am sure that the websites were part of some scam but it really is a disgrace. The National Theater!! I mean.. as in National Theater!! and this is the best that they can do http://www.cultura.gov.do/dependenc...neralparticipacionpop/direventospopulares.htm

the actual website for the theater had its domain up for sale

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Another NOTE \

Both the Teatro Nactional and Bellas Artes warn that they close the box office 15 minutes before the performance and that they CLOSE THE DOORS at the curtain time. THEY ACTUALLY DO THIS.

This is the only thing that I have seen on the entire island which operates on Swiss time. Except, perhaps, Mass.

So be on time.

And be sure to DRESS for the NACIONAL, as in your best clothes, pressed, jewelry if you have it. Belles Artes is more laid back and less formal but if show up at Nacional in anything less than your best, you are likely to feel uncomfortable.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Casa de Espana Diplomatic Ladies Christmas Bazaar 12/11/11

If you're looking for something to do in Santo Domingo tomorrow, December 11th, try the
Diplomatic Ladies Christmas Bazaar, being held at Casa de Espa?a in Santo Domingo, which is on the western end of the malecon.
http://www.casadeespana.do/

If you go, stop by the British Embassy table, and buy a copy of the Dominican Cookbook [a must have!], with a portion of the income from sale of the book going to children's charities in the Santo Domingo area.

Santodomingo

Nov 27, 2011
Does anyone know, to what date the Ricky Martin and Wisin Yandel was postponed to? I believe i heard February 2012, anything more detailed?

Leonwebb09

Dec 25, 2011
Can anyone tell me party spots to check in Santo Domingo? My brother and I are traveling there in Feb all the way from Kuwait so we want to make sure we have to best time possible. Hip hop, techno, etc... and if they have VIP areas as well. Thanks in advance

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From today's DR1 news:
Holly Holden in Santo Domingo
Pop, acoustic and soul singer Holly Holden is in Santo Domingo this week for two acoustic performances. This young English singer-songwriter is described as having an incredible voice, and a unique and revolutionary musical style. She has played with Indie musicians from all over the world and is currently completing her latest recording project, during which she visited Cuba and several other countries for inspiration.
Holly will be playing an acoustic set this evening, Tuesday February 21 at the Gustavo Live Pub on Ave. Winston Churchill near the intersection with Jose Amado Soler, from 9pm. Leo Ricobaldi is supporting.
On Thursday February 23 she will be appearing at Camden Bar in Plaza Andalucia, Gustavo Mejia Ricart and Lincoln avenues from 9pm.
Holly, who has been invited to the country by Eve Hayes and London-based Dominican musician Karel Kalaf, is making a guest appearance on Radio Listin today and on X102 at 6pm tomorrow Wednesday February 22.

See promo video on Holly here: Introducing Holly.. - YouTube