Rabbits

Thorn679

Sep 15, 2010
Good day to everyone, I recently had the great idea of rasing rabbits for meat and I would like to know if there is anyone that has a good breeding stock of medium to large sized rabbits (9-15lbs)

If anyone is interested in rabbit meat please let me know, as it will greatly help me determine a market away from home if it exist lol

Thank you and I hope you have a great day.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Do they eat rabbit in the D.R? Good question.

As a diversion -

My Haitian wife once told me I was a savage and a barbarian when I ate the rabbit my mum cooked for us.

I pointed out that Haitians occasionally eat cats. She agreed that this was a bit off but nowhere near as bad as eating a cute little fluffy bunny-wabbit. Go figure.

And I once got a bad reaction when I asked the guy selling pigeons on the street in Port au Prince how long they took to cook. Apparently they were pets. Oops.

Horses for courses, I guess. (I like horse meat too, especially from the parada near the tunnel on the road to Santiago from Puerto Plata.)

That is why I despair when people get all uptight about dog meat in Korea.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
There was someone here in Cabrera who raised rabbits for food, their business grew very well because the all inclusives along the north coast were buying rabbit like crazy for their guests. But they ultimately closed the business since it was getting too large and complicated.

The point is: Yes, there is definitely a market for rabbit!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Saw them in the meat case yesterday at "POLA".Skinned,about 130 pesos a pound.
Don't see them to often.Go talk to the "Meat Manager" at the big "Supers",see what he says.
CC

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My in-laws in La Vega kept rabbits for meat. Big white fluffy ones. Rabbit stew done in Dominican style is delicious.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008

Absolutely not, mistreatment of animals is wrong. If you did that to cows then that would be equally wrong.
Eating animals is fine for me if the farming methods are not too cruel like the ones in the article.

My point is that eating dog meat in principle is no worse than eating horse, rabbit, cat (yuck), pigeon, snake, cow, pig... etc.
People largely feel the way they do about this issue depending on the societal norms where they were raised.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The ISA University has great rabbit breeding stock, and they will help you get started. ISA (formerly the Instituto Superior de Agricultura) is located across the bridge in Santiago and out in La Herradura. It is easy to get to. It is on the left side of the road just as you pass through the hamlet of La Herradura. They have goats, sheep, pigs and rabbits for improving livestock.

Best place to get your breeding stock..

HB has spoken!

Thorn679

Sep 15, 2010
Nice, thank you very much. I'm In UTESA at the moment and ISA fairly close but I had no idea they had rabbits lol

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
eating bugs bunnies is popular in some regions of the DR. In Jarabacoa they liked them on the bbq on special occasions. There they sold live weight for 80 rds per pound, dead and skinned for 100 rds per pound.

Here on the NC, prices are crazy, up to 250 rds per pound.

Our cleaning lady used to raise them, but stopped because of the price of the wabbit food... something to consider...

BelgianK

PS: now you got me hungering after a nice furry wabbit stewed in belgian beer (after removing the fur...)... damn....

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Absolutely not, mistreatment of animals is wrong. If you did that to cows then that would be equally wrong.
Eating animals is fine for me if the farming methods are not too cruel like the ones in the article.

My point is that eating dog meat in principle is no worse than eating horse, rabbit, cat (yuck), pigeon, snake, cow, pig... etc.
People largely feel the way they do about this issue depending on the societal norms where they were raised.

I completely agree with pedrochemical.
How would people in India feel if they were to look at us cutting and eating a juicy steaks? They probably die in disgust and many here probably say "WTF I am having my dinner". In old days and many Korean country folks are guilty of brutally hanging and beating the dog to tenderize their meal but in modern times all restaurants serve purposely raised breed of dogs. It is sad thing but it is what it is. I have to admit that I had a taste in Korea and many asian countries (China, Vietnam and Cambodia) but it isn't better or worse then going out and having a plate full of ribeyes. And the taste? I honestly don't remember, it happened 10 years ago but I can say that it went rough through my neck and through my system. Strange thing about Vietnam and Cambodia was they assume I will like dog meat because I am Korean but I didn't liked it when I tried it in Korea and I didn't like it when they were offering me and I don't plan on eating one any time soon.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
eating bugs bunnies is popular in some regions of the DR. In Jarabacoa they liked them on the bbq on special occasions. There they sold live weight for 80 rds per pound, dead and skinned for 100 rds per pound.

Here on the NC, prices are crazy, up to 250 rds per pound.

Our cleaning lady used to raise them, but stopped because of the price of the wabbit food... something to consider...

BelgianK

PS: now you got me hungering after a nice furry wabbit stewed in belgian beer (after removing the fur...)... damn....

I am not so found of rabbit. I never had a stew but BBQ in Korean style wasn't quite what I was expecting. The way they prepared wasn't as tender as I thought it would be and too many peices of bones.

El Conejo Restaurant
Juan Dolio
Perhaps. I'll have better luck there?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Belgian rabbit stew recipe... which is very tender...

1 bugs bunny, cut into pieces...
1 large white onion, chopped finely
1 carrot in large chunks
1 chicken stock cube
2 large brahma's
pepper
salt
oregano
butter or olive oil
piece of white bread
dijon mustard
some maizena

Fry bugs bunny in a bit of butter or olive oil till seared..
Take large pot, with some butter or olive oil and tenderize rougly chopped onion.
Throw in fried wabbit, and cover with 1 large brahma
Throw in chicken cube, carrot, pepper, oregano and salt
Smear dijon mustard on slice of white bread, and slam on top of liquid... mustard face down...
bring to boil...
cover and let simmer...
stir occasionally, and add second large brahma if necessary...
will take 2 to 3 hours for wabbit to tenderize...

Served with french fries, and applesauce...

Luxury version... instead of brahma add dark belgian maredsous beer...

For pi2... solar pressure cooker will reduce cooking time considerably

Enjoy

BelgianK

latitude19

May 29, 2011
You are missing the point. Dogs, and especially modern day dogs, are bred and raised to be human companions. They were not meant to be eaten by man, but of service and companionship. Humans have a RESPONSIBILITY for the welfare of dogs.

How can you say that you agree with an opposing viewpoint yet feel sad about it?? Obviously, you realize dogs are tied to humans emotionally and us to them. You agree in theory, but not in heart. You cannot agree in heart because you have felt the emotional bond dogs have with humans.

No disrespect meant.

I completely agree with pedrochemical.
How would people in India feel if they were to look at us cutting and eating a juicy steaks? They probably die in disgust and many here probably say "WTF I am having my dinner". In old days and many Korean country folks are guilty of brutally hanging and beating the dog to tenderize their meal but in modern times all restaurants serve purposely raised breed of dogs. It is sad thing but it is what it is. I have to admit that I had a taste in Korea and many asian countries (China, Vietnam and Cambodia) but it isn't better or worse then going out and having a plate full of ribeyes. And the taste? I honestly don't remember, it happened 10 years ago but I can say that it went rough through my neck and through my system. Strange thing about Vietnam and Cambodia was they assume I will like dog meat because I am Korean but I didn't liked it when I tried it in Korea and I didn't like it when they were offering me and I don't plan on eating one any time soon.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I ate a few dogs in VietNam.
"Puppies" actually,as they went into the "soup" as soon as they were weaned.
White meat,very tender.If I didn't know,I would think it was veal,or chicken.
I also ate mice in Thailand,fried "crispy" eat most of the bones.
Anyone who has ever eaten in a Chinese restaurant,has more than likely had a CAT or two! :chinese::chinese::chinese:
There was a Chinese restaurant on Beacon Hill in Boston that paid $5.00 for any cat brought to their back door!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Belgian rabbit stew recipe... which is very tender...

1 bugs bunny, cut into pieces...
1 large white onion, chopped finely
1 carrot in large chunks
1 chicken stock cube
2 large brahma's
pepper
salt
oregano
butter or olive oil
piece of white bread
dijon mustard
some maizena

Fry bugs bunny in a bit of butter or olive oil till seared..
Take large pot, with some butter or olive oil and tenderize rougly chopped onion.
Throw in fried wabbit, and cover with 1 large brahma
Throw in chicken cube, carrot, pepper, oregano and salt
Smear dijon mustard on slice of white bread, and slam on top of liquid... mustard face down...
bring to boil...
cover and let simmer...
stir occasionally, and add second large brahma if necessary...
will take 2 to 3 hours for wabbit to tenderize...

Served with french fries, and applesauce...

Luxury version... instead of brahma add dark belgian maredsous beer...

For pi2... solar pressure cooker will reduce cooking time considerably

Enjoy

BelgianK
Sounds good...
When I get the chance, I really want to try this. I don't know what my wife is going to say about eating bunny but if it's ok with her. I want to try this over few bottles of Belgian beer. Can I buy Belgian beer in Santiago?

You are missing the point. Dogs, and especially modern day dogs, are bred and raised to be human companions. They were not meant to be eaten by man, but of service and companionship. Humans have a RESPONSIBILITY for the welfare of dogs.

How can you say that you agree with an opposing viewpoint yet feel sad about it?? Obviously, you realize dogs are tied to humans emotionally and us to them. You agree in theory, but not in heart. You cannot agree in heart because you have felt the emotional bond dogs have with humans.

No disrespect meant.

No disrespect taken...
I get what you trying to say of bonds between human and dogs. I raised two dogs myself and I do understand responsibility and heart breaks that comes with it. But I see you miss out on my point of view on this. Many people have responsibility to raise the dog as their companion as many people worship cow as their god moment they were born. Who gives right to a people to say its alright to eat gods but you are worst human being in this world if you eat your friend? Is there difference between god raised to be consumed to a friend raised to be consumed?

I think not.

Unless you are vegan from birth, you have probably have eaten somebody's gods, friends and etc... And I won't judge you for what you have eaten and what you will eat in your life time.

Just my point of view....

I ate a few dogs in VietNam.
"Puppies" actually,as they went into the "soup" as soon as they were weaned.
White meat,very tender.If I didn't know,I would think it was veal,or chicken.
I also ate mice in Thailand,fried "crispy" eat most of the bones.
Anyone who has ever eaten in a Chinese restaurant,has more than likely had a CAT or two! :chinese::chinese::chinese:
There was a Chinese restaurant on Beacon Hill in Boston that paid $5.00 for any cat brought to their back door!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Lol..
I guess you and I had same soup. I had mine after all-night drinking at Allez Boo bar at the Ho Chi Min City. The guys and gals took me to some place on street and I had some soup. I don't remember the taste but I do remember it's horrible smell. I am not so found of that smell.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Let's not turn this into yet another 'right' or 'wrong' thread re every animal under the sun.

The OP asked about rabbits being bred and raised to be eaten and the potential for that type of business so can we please keep this on that track?